Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of threads about this already but I am a brand new rider. The bike I bought used (‘16 ABS) has a 160/70 rear tire. I know stock they come with 140/70 but I, as a new rider, don’t know the difference. My tire went flat this weekend and I need to replace and am thinking of going back to the stock size of 140/70. Any positives for a new rider to do that? Better handling? I’ve heard they feel more nimble with stock size tires on them. Thank you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
you're right. The narrower the tire, the more nimble it feels. The N300 doesn't need a 160 on the rear. Some people like the look, but that's just it. No real benefits from a 160 in my opinion.
150 would work fine too. Just a matter of taste. Since you're beginning, you' won't probably feel much difference, so you can go for the tire you like the best if any.

If you commute on the bike and plan to put many miles on it, it's a good idea to get a good touring tire, as the Mich Pilot Road 5 or Pirelli Angel GT. It will give you better mileage and get better grip on the wet.
If you mainly do fun rides, maybe a gripper tire as the Diablo Rosso III, Mich RS or similar sport tire.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is no 160/70, you had a 160/60. You are better off with the stock size of 140/70. The 160 rear will LOOK FATTER for sure but you will have a inch or more chicken strip on the sides. The natural size for the 4 inch rear rim of the 300 is the 140/70. The 400 has a 4 inch rear rim as well but the stock size tire is 150/60. My track riders and racers go with the 140/70 rear for even quicker turn in. I have a 150/60 Michelin RS on my 400, when it wears out, I will be going with a 140/70.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know there are a lot of threads about this already but I am a brand new rider. The bike I bought used (‘16 ABS) has a 160/70 rear tire. I know stock they come with 140/70 but I, as a new rider, don’t know the difference. My tire went flat this weekend and I need to replace and am thinking of going back to the stock size of 140/70. Any positives for a new rider to do that? Better handling? I’ve heard they feel more nimble with stock size tires on them. Thank you.
Always use the stock size ----------Dunlop super sports excellent for the track & Road legal in the EU 👍😎🏍

1 - 4 of 4 Posts