Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got a bunch of goodies installed on my bike, one of which was the 15T front and 43T rear sprocket combo with a DID chain.

The reason I went with this combo is because so many people have said its awesome on the forums, and according to gear commander, I'd have a higher top speed.

In stock form (sprockets), I would easily see 190 kmh all day and occasionally if the wind is in my favor, I'd hit the 200 mark.

While first gear is a bit more usable but not really, top end has dramatically decreased.

So what happens is, the gearing is now too tall for the bike to even reach its top speed.
I would be shifting into 6th at around 160 kmh and then 6th gear becomes extremely useless.

So my take on this is that the stock gearing is 100% better for this bike, it'll give you usable power throughout the gears.

Needless to say, I'm at the dealership now to get the stock sprockets put back, plus a few more goodies馃槤

DYNO TUNING THE BIKE ON TUESDAY!

I'll keep you guys posted!馃槏

Registered
Interesting! I got my N300 used with shorter gearing than stock, I forget what it was, but it was awful. First gear was unusable, and it was screaming on the freeways. So, I went 14/40, and have never looked back. Fantastic gearing IMO. slightly taller than stock, and when I drag race my buddies with N300s, the sheer acceleration is literally identical, with slightly different shift points. It cruises at slightly lower RPM, first gear is nice and tall, and without a speedo healer, this gearing makes the stock speedo on Q3+ tires exactly correct. In my book, a win win win.

And lastly, my favorite part, is in the twisties or on the track, I can downshift more often, since the overall gear ratio is taller. It's tall enough that 2nd gear is perfect for even the tightest of hairpins at speed, and then I never get to 6th in any straight away on public roads at redline, so to me, that's all the gearing I could ever ask for. Even on my local track, the big straight isn't long enough for me to hit 100mph in the desert heat, and I supposed I could shorten the gearing to use all the gears, but then I would ruin the bottom set of gears, and IMO, the low speed torque and control is where this bike really shines in the corners.

But yeah, I came to the conclusion on the forums that 14/40 was the move, and I tried it, and I absolutely love it. Best of luck to you to figure this one out!

-Mike

Registered
Gearing is always going to be a compromise.

Stock gearing is a balance of acceleration, cruising RPM, and top speed.

If you gear down (add teeth to the rear or subtract from the front) you will increase your acceleration, but your cruising RPMs will go up. Your top speed may increase, or you may run out of RPMs and your top speed will decrease.

If you gear up (subtract teeth from the rear or add teeth to the front) you will decrease your acceleration, but your cruising RPMs will drop. Your top speed may increase, or you may not have enough power in top gear at lower RPMs to overcome aero drag - and your top speed will decrease.

Gearing a small engine up comes with more compromises than it does with a larger engine that has more torque. If you are a smaller, lighter, person the decrease in acceleration will be less noticeable. If you do a lot of hwy cruising, the lower RPMs may smooth out the engine, but it may also put the engine in a lower RPM zone that doesn't have adequate power to easily sustain the high speed.

There are a lot of variables, so some trial and error is required.

Registered
^^^ This.
I guess I forgot to say as well, I am 150lbs. So the slight gear up works perfectly for me. With a passenger, it is a little tough though. My lady friend is super light/short, and even with her on the back, it does slow down in the acceleration, but I usually enjoy the N300 by myself, so it works out.

-Mike

Registered
I forget what's stock: 14T/42T if I recall correctly?

I switched to 15T on the front sprocket, and left the rear one stock. Seems pretty good now (for me).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts