Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone! Just thought I'd let you know that I replaced my 14T/42T stock sprockets to a 15T/41T as my first mods. I now have a decent 1st and 6th gear. The speedo has gone from 3kmh under to 3kmh over so I will need to install speedohealer or equivalent to correct it. On the GPS in 6th, I now cruise at 6500rpm at 100kmh (62.13mph) and 7100rpm at 110kmh (68.35mph). The figures seem to correspond to the 15T/42T setup at gearingcommander.com more so than the 15T/41T setup. Interestingly, once I reach 110kmh, the ECO comes on and stays on. Pickup is definitely a bit more slower than stock, though because I usually give it more throttle, I don't have an issue with it. I can just keep it in 1st a lot longer than before. Then objective of this was to drop the revs as I intend to do more long distance runs. If I feel the urge to rev away, I can drop it to 5th. As my bike is stock standard, I wouldn't go 15T/40T, as it may be a bit too much for the bike (I'm also 75kg). Those with tuners and aftermarket exhausts shouldn't have any problems though. You'll probably end up staying in 5th if you love revving the bike and leaving 6th as an overdrive gear. I also found that I now change at 5500-6000rpm as a sweet spot for this mod. If you love revving the bike in general, then stay away from the 41T on the rear altogether. Cheers!...:)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hahaha yep. The ECO indicator seems to work of throttle actuation more than anything else. Just a nice marketing gimmick.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't let them in on it! I was using it as a selling point to get more to try out the 15T/41T! (LOL)

Seriously, I wished they put a temp gauge in instead.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I only changed the front sprocket to the 15t and today took it out with my gps results:
at 35mph and 45mph showing on the bike gps said I was running 1mph faster
at 60mph gps said I was going 63mph

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
I thought 15t/43t was the way to go as per this post:

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/79300-post297.html

I'm planning to do these when I get my bike...so I'm wondering which one is truly best for all around performance (meaning making 1st gear useable as well as making the bike in general well rounded).

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only changed the front sprocket to the 15t and today took it out with my gps results:
at 35mph and 45mph showing on the bike gps said I was running 1mph faster
at 60mph gps said I was going 63mph
Yes. The higher the speed, it will accentuate it a bit more. The speedo sensor is where the 15T CS sprocket is. Usually, it will correct the speedo reading, as most speedos out of the factory are usually a bit out.

I changed both my sprockets at once and could see a big difference straight away. Today, I actually installed Speedhealer 4 ($129) from Healtech myself. The speedo is now spot on. I actually set it slightly under, so when I am reading 100KMH, I am actually at 99KMH. I might set it to 100KMH at 98KMH, just to be on the safe side of speeding cameras.

Memorising your rev counter might be the cheaper way to go or using SpeedoDRD, which costs about $95.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought 15t/43t was the way to go as per this post:

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/79300-post297.html

I'm planning to do these when I get my bike...so I'm wondering which one is truly best for all around performance (meaning making 1st gear useable as well as making the bike in general well rounded).
I did the 15T/41T because I wanted the taller gearing. Starting off for me has never been an issue, as I usually give it good revs. The main purpose of this gearing was to cruise long distances at about 6500-7200rpm. I change at 5500-6000rpm and can maintain 110kmh even in a headwind with this gearing. If I feel the urge to rev around all the time, I can just leave it in 5th and use the 6th as an overdrive gear. My speedo reading did change but I fixed it today with Speedohealer.

If Ninja300 Stealth says he didn't have problems with his speedo after he put the 43T on, then maybe go with that. It will save you the $129 for the Speedohealer. I'm 75kg and it is just nice for my weight. If you are much heavier, then starting off in 1st will be much slower, so keep this in mind if you want to do the 41T which I did. If you love revving over 7000rpm in 6th, then DON'T do my 41T as you will easily break your speed limits. If I could do it again, I would probably go the 14T/39T or the 14T/40T and shorten the chain. I didn't want to shorten the chain, in case I had to revert back to the stock 14T/42T, which was why I went 15T/41T. At any rate, I am quite happy with it. My speedo was under 3KMH at stock and it went over 3KMH after the mod. So I still would have ended up getting Speedohealer anyways...

Ilya, if anything, try the 15T first and see how you like it. For most riders, that should be enough. It is easy enough to change back if you don't like it. Just make sure you can verify your actual speed before the change and after.

Cheers...:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes. The higher the speed, it will accentuate it a bit more. The speedo sensor is where the 15T CS sprocket is. Usually, it will correct the speedo reading, as most speedos out of the factory are usually a bit out.

I changed both my sprockets at once and could see a big difference straight away. Today, I actually installed Speedhealer 4 ($129) from Healtech myself. The speedo is now spot on. I actually set it slightly under, so when I am reading 100KMH, I am actually at 99KMH. I might set it to 100KMH at 98KMH, just to be on the safe side of speeding cameras.

Memorising your rev counter might be the cheaper way to go or using SpeedoDRD, which costs about $95.
Perhaps a bit stupid question, but if the speedo is inaccurate, then isn't the distance meter also inaccurate? Are the two not tied together?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Based upon all the great comments I installed the 15T and have nothing but positives to say. But the 41 rear... hmm... sounds fabulous. I could use just one more subtle shot of long gearing.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Based upon all the great comments I installed the 15T and have nothing but positives to say. But the 41 rear... hmm... sounds fabulous. I could use just one more subtle shot of long gearing.

:cool:
Ha! Ha! Ha! I'll let you know if I break 200KMH with it!!!:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts