Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was hoping to make a run up to IN again this year. I did it last year on my Street Triple, but went in April, when it is REALLY too cold in the mountains. So this year I waited until this past weekend, and headed out on Thursday morning. The goal was to ride about 350-400 miles on Thursday, depending on how many side roads I took, get a hotel in Athens, OH, and then get out of dodge early enough to quickly cover the remaining 250 miles to make my sister's Nursing School Graduation at 1PM in Indianapolis.

I pretty much stuck to the plan, but cut Thursday shorter than I expected because of the storm clouds chasing me. Was a nice 75-80* on Thursday, and was a comfortable mid-60s when I left the hotel at 5:30 Friday morning. Got into IN by 11am, surprising the family. I showered quickly and got to attend graduation.

I stayed in town on Saturday to go to Sis's graduation party, and then spent Sunday morning (Mother's Day) with my mom. She caravanned with me to the Dayton, OH area to visit my sick aunt and my grandmother, and I left mid afternoon to cover the ground to Parkersburg, WV. The weather had turned cold, as it was only in the 40s and 50s, but luckily I had learned my lesson last year and packed boot and glove liners, plus a wind-breaker layer. Monday morning, I got a slightly late start, since it was 39* when I woke up (!!!), but the temps had risen about 10* by 10am, so I layered up and headed out. Big surprise of the trip: at an elevation of about 3,000 feet, on May 12, I GOT SNOWED ON. I really couldn't believe it. It was just light flurries, and certainly wasn't going to stick, but it still shocked me. By the time I got down to sea level in MD, it was in the mid-50s, and I covered 300 miles of twisties in 6 hours (a record for me, stopping only twice for fuel and to stretch!).

Overall, it was a lot of fun. Clocked almost 1300 miles in the four days of riding, and the 300 held up like a champ. I did, however, learn some things about my bike:

1. Apparently leaving the key in the ignition, even in the off position, slowly drains the battery? I left the key in the bike since it was in my mom's garage, didn't touch it from the time I got there Friday until I left Sunday, and the battery was dead, dead, dead. I finally got it bump-started, and then rode 90 miles, and it's been fine since. Has anyone heard of this? Could leaving it in complete a circuit?

2. The 300 doesn't like to accelerate from 70-80 when going up a steep incline, like, say, a mountain :)eek:).

3. The stock chain on the 300 seems to corrode faster than the chain that came with my Triumph. After getting rained on in the mountains and riding through all sorts of crap, I came back and cleaned her up, and the chain has pretty noticeable rust on it. My Triumph's chain never rusted in 2 years of commuting through all weather.

4. BOY do I need a throttle lock. While my whole body was naturally a little sore, the WORST was my right wrist from holding the damn throttle open!

5. Most importantly, my skills are RUSTY. Like, WAY rustier than my chain. I tried to ride the mountains the way I have in the past, but having not been out in the twisties much yet this season. I SUCKED. Almost ate it a few times -- luckily, my emergency reactions weren't as rusty as my cornering and body positioning.

Here are a few pics. The first one is off Route 50 in WV. The others are the aftermath: bugs, rain, and miles. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast! I'm looking forward to take a longer trip on my 300

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good trip report. I leave my keys in all my motorcycles in the garage. That won't drain anything so long as the key is in the off position. Some dealers also leave keys in the ignition. You might have a short somewhere. How many total miles on your bike now? I also have a Street Triple r. Which seat is the most comfy? To me they are both good, but the Streetie seems to have a little more padding. However, the Streetie seat makes you slide forward a bit and that bunches up your shorts in more than one way.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Good trip report. I leave my keys in all my motorcycles in the garage. That won't drain anything so long as the key is in the off position.

out of interest, have you spoke to your insurance company & asked if someone breaks in to your home & takes the bike while the key is left in the ignition is it sill covered by insurance?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I don't carry insurance except for liability on any of my bikes or cars, live in a low-crime area, and keep my garage locked, have electronic surveillance, and a border collie who would alert someone in the house.
There have been no break-ins in my neighborhood in the 10 years I've lived here. I always take the keys out of the motorcycle when I park them away from my house though. I don't really need insurance in any case. I would just go buy new toys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fairly large hands here. I just slide the palm down on the bar ends and let my grip hold the throttle at a constant speed when that will work for me on more deserted stretches of highway.

I know route 50 well, that is one testy piece of road across the mountians from West Va to Va. Mapquest it if you want to see some fun road but watch out for the clown that comes flying around a blind corner into your lane, with a 800 foot drop on the other side of your guardrail! :eek::eek::eek:

regards
Mech

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments, all! It was a good time. Some answers:

Good trip report. I leave my keys in all my motorcycles in the garage. That won't drain anything so long as the key is in the off position. Some dealers also leave keys in the ignition. You might have a short somewhere. How many total miles on your bike now? I also have a Street Triple r. Which seat is the most comfy? To me they are both good, but the Streetie seems to have a little more padding. However, the Streetie seat makes you slide forward a bit and that bunches up your shorts in more than one way.
You know, that's what I expected too, but it was the only explanation I could come up with. My bike never before, and never since, has failed to start. The only thing I did differently there was leave the key in the ignition. So I did a quick google, and read that in *some* vehicles, placing the key in the ignition closes a circuit and so very slowly trickles out power. But if yours has never had a problem, that doesn't seem like the culprit with our bikes.

As far as seats: I really hated the Streety's seat, so I think it was just bad for my own idiosyncratic body shape. The 300 seat does surprisingly well; it's wide enough in the back that I can scoot around and relieve pressure points. Of course, I'd love to have a Corbin, but I'm not willing to drop that kind of money on it for such an occasional trip, when it doesn't bother me that much. I'd rather put that money towards an AreaP. :D

a "throttle rocker" / "palm rest" works just as well, or you can do a DIY throttle lock suggested by one of our members, i have done it myself & it works a treat on the highway

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/9-ninja-300-parts-accessories/2408-crampbuster.html
Yup, this trip definitely got me thinking about that. This is one area where the Ninja is worse than the Streety was -- because I'm opening her up to the stops so much more, the resistance from the throttle gets to my wrists a lot more.

what happened to your rear hugger?
Well, I took it off! I would have thought that was obvious! :p I took it off originally to adjust the shock, and just liked it so much more without.

Fairly large hands here. I just slide the palm down on the bar ends and let my grip hold the throttle at a constant speed when that will work for me on more deserted stretches of highway.

I know route 50 well, that is one testy piece of road across the mountians from West Va to Va. Mapquest it if you want to see some fun road but watch out for the clown that comes flying around a blind corner into your lane, with a 800 foot drop on the other side of your guardrail! :eek::eek::eek:

regards
Mech
I used that same method, with my similarly large hands. :) And yup, sections of 50 are delicious. That pic is taken at one of my favorite points, at the top of a 5 mile segment of switchbacks. The pic below is of my old Streety at the same point last year. That trip, I took 50 all the way from DC through to Cincinnati, OH. It's a really nice way to cover those miles without going on the interstate.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts