Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is this check? It seems the increments between chcks and services is extremely short. Are other people following the owners manual to the t?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
165 Posts
Best preventave maintenance for evaporative emissions controls is to NOT overfill the tank. If you overfill the excess fuel will be sucked into the charcoal cannister and once it saturates the charcoal the cannister is basically ruined.

The system is designed to collect fuel vapor in the cannister (absorbed by the charcoal) and then the cannister is purged by engine vacuum (when the engine is running) and the vapors are burned, instead of being released into the atmosphere.

The small oval shaped opening in the filler area just in front of the main filling opening is a good indicator of a DO NOT FILL ABOVE THIS LEVEL. Do so and you might have to pay for a new cannister since it could be considered owner abuse. Not saying they would not replace it under warranty but I would just use the above mentioned precaution and the cannister will last the life of the bike without any maintenance I am aware of.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was readig the manual wrong. This check is actually at 11, 400 miles. The increments are actually fine exept for the oil change.
I'm reading that the oil changes are supposed to happen at 600 miles then again at 7, 600 miles. The third is scheduled for 15, 200 miles.
I talked to a guy at the dealer today and he said if you follow the manual you will blow the motor. He also said he has a 650 in that the owner blew the motor on by following the book maintenance schedule.

Anyone else suspicious about this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think that 11,400 mileage (thought I read 11,800 somehwere) is when the emissions warranty expires (federally mandated for US sold bikes).

regards
Mech

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I was readig the manual wrong. This check is actually at 11, 400 miles. The increments are actually fine exept for the oil change.
I'm reading that the oil changes are supposed to happen at 600 miles then again at 7, 600 miles. The third is scheduled for 15, 200 miles.
I talked to a guy at the dealer today and he said if you follow the manual you will blow the motor. He also said he has a 650 in that the owner blew the motor on by following the book maintenance schedule.

Anyone else suspicious about this?

You are not going to blow the motor following the book. Modern oils actually last much longer than what we give them credit for. Most people change their oil, especially synthetic, way too soon as it is. That dealer was trying to scam you by getting you in more often so you can pay them to change your oil more. That's where they make most of their money from is servicing and if he can get you in more often, more money for them. Unless that dealership "recycles" or reuses oil then you shouldn't worry about it. If you do have engine damage due to oil failure, you probably have a case against the servicing dealership as that means they did not use the oil that they were supposed to be using. Either they didn't change it and just topped it off or substituted for some super cheap 3rd world imported oil. A modern standard oil should last for at least 10k miles while a synthetic can go for almost 18k-20k depending on the formulation. We are still using oil change increments and standards that were established when our grand parents were driving yet haven't adapted yet for the MUCH better oil formulations we have now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts