Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
So today I was looking at the ridiculous fender we have on the back of the ninja 300 and decided it needed to go. But I couldn't bring myself to pay $100 or more for one just yet, so I decided to make one myself! I got the idea from this guy http://m.imgur.com/a/F2Vvj but did mine a little differently. I also apologize in advance that I forgot to take pictures while doing it, this is the first write up I've done in my life :emot-doh: but it is very simple and took me about 45 minutes to do with only using the tools that the bike comes with! Also, save all the bolts as many of them come in handy later.

First, remove your rear seat and take out the 4 bolts holding the fender in place. After this you will need to cut the wires running to the turn signals and license plate light, labeling them helps a bunch. (remember to cut them closer to the bike so when you reconnect them you can still pull them through to sit under the seat as this looks a lot cleaner) after this is done remove the license plate bracket and turn signals. Then place two of your screws in the two holes closest to the back of your bike and use the nuts to lock them in place. Then put one more nut on each bolt about a half inch down from from the top nut, followed by the corner bracer and another nut to lock it in place. Do this for both sides. I took the bolts out of the little tie down thing on the fender and used them to hold the license plate bracket to the corner bracers as the original bolts are now too long to make this work, but these fit perfectly! Then attach your old license plate bracket to the corner bracers. I put mine upside down so my turn signals would be a little higher and closer to the bike. I think it looks better but that's just my personal preference. If you choose to do it this way as well, remember to attach your turn signals to the bracket first because you can not screw them in once it's on. (Learned that the hard way) once this is all put together all that's left to do is reconnect your wires! After I did all this I realized that I had forgotten a tag light. So I went and picked up a cheap little led strip and wired it straight to the old tag light wiring, works perfectly! Hope this helps someone! Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for all these posts, my phone will only let me load one picture at a time :emot-rant:

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Where did you get the bracket from? I was confused looking at the picture and became more confused when I read the instruction some how.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the bracket from the stock fender, where my turn signals are now is where the red reflectors are to begin with

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's the bracket from the stock fender, where my turn signals are now is where the red reflectors are to begin with
Ohh! I'll have to check that out tomorrow. What cost $10? The bolts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bolts and the corner bracers were a total of just under $4 and the little led strip I picked up was $5 :)

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Do you know what size bolts those are?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Or pay 18$ for the Targa one and it'll look less ghetto.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did sorta the same thing i took out the turn signals from the original fender and put it on a targa fender eliminator bracket (just the bracket) I Iiked the way it looks since it still looked like a FACTORY bike . . .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does the pillion's legs push on the turn signals with your DIY mod? Not that many will even have 2up on a 300...

I just installed the Yoshimura one last night. Man what a pain in the ass. :roll2smilie:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think it also interferes with the helmet lock. I also like to use the bungee tie downs. This stock fender doesnt bother me as much as others. Theres a nice flat surface for a camera mount by the plate light too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts