Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after taking off the fender I found a few useful pieces left over.. I picked a couple things at work to build the mounting bracket.. Got it all lined up on the bike and now just taking the stuff back into work to put the final touches on it all. I'll post pics and the small list of supplies needed to do this when I get off work tonight. I love saving money!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
As promised, just a day late! So here is the final set up.

You'll need to pick a few things up from a hardware store, luckily for me I work at one. It's all very common stuff that you are guaranteed to find.. Buy a roll of this galvanized or copper strapping. I went with the galvanized because I knew what the final product would turn out and hold up, I wasn't to sure how the copper would do. Your also going t want to pick up some 1/4 hex nuts, bolts and lock nuts and maybe a can of black spray paint. I grabbed 10 of each just to play it safe in case I lost a couple during install. Make sure you get lock nuts and not just regular nuts, we don't need anything vibrating off, also you don't really need long bolts so just grab something in size comparison with bolts are on the bike already.

Now I'm not going to bother showing how to remove the fender from the bike because there is endless videos of it on youtube, and many forums on it here. So skipping past that step, take your plate off your fender and then remove the two bolts holding the license plate bracket to the fender. This is what you should end up with..

Once you have gotten that off, your ready to start making the bracket. Cut 4 strips of the galvanized strapping off, roughly 10" should do each, bend them all in to the shape of an L bracket. Your going to use 2 lengths on each side, their going to sturdy it up a bit and also hold the bracket in place. I used the two holes furthest back out of the 4 in the under tail to mount my plate, just because of where the plate light will be located. When you have everything mounted it should look like this, mind you your straps will still be long so place the plate bracket where everything is level and even. Grab a sharpie and mark on the straps where you want to cut the excess strapping off at, remember your plate will cover most of the strap and you dont want to cut it so short that it loses strength where the bolt holds them together. As for the excess where the bracket meets the bike, I trimmed mine down so there was only one section of strapping behind the bolt.

Anyone using a gear indicator is kinda outta luck on this one.

Now this part is important.. The stock plate light bulb that is removed from the fender is going to be replaced by an LED. 2 reasons behind that, 1. The light sucks in general. 2. The bulb burns hot and where it is located its going to be touching plastic, why run the risk of melting something. Ebay has cheap LED bulbs that will replace our stock bulbs, or you could even just rewire it so you had a small LED light strip instead.

A much cleaner look for people on a budget. I know my instructions weren't that great but if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best I can!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts