Ninja 300 Protection, Need Advice - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ninja 300 Protection, Need Advice

My girlfriend (fiancÚ) is ready to ride and we are picking up here new Ninja 300 next week. I would like to add some protection to her new ride, in the event of a slow speed topple or the bike decides to take a quick nap at a stop sign, intersection, or similar.

I see RevZilla has a Shogun Ninja Protection kit available on their website with frame sliders, bar ends, and swing arm spools. Is this a decent kit?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-300-2013-2014

I did some searching within the forums and see the Yoshi sliders are a popular option. Would it be beneficial to purchase the Yoshi sliders, and purchase the swing arm spools and bar ends separately?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated, I would like to order this stuff ASAP so I have it on hand to install when we get the bike next week. Looking for the best protection available, so I'm open to all suggestions.

Also, if anyone has any experience or recommendations with lowering kits, that info would also be appreciated!

Thanks. Looking forward to hanging around this place, I see allot of info posted here that will be very helpful with maintenance, mods, etc.
Fortech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 114
Thanks: 20
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
Shogun is a pretty common brand and this kit would probably do well. Be aware that the Yoshi sliders require you to cut the fairings. Depending on how long you are planning on keeping the bike, cutting the fairings may not be what you want to do. Also, if you're getting an ABS model, make sure you get frame sliders that fit the ABS model. I have ABS; I had a hard time finding one's that fit the model and one's that didn't require the fairings be cut.

I think that kit would hold up fine and save the bike for the most part in the event of a spill. It really depends on what you want. Do you like the all black? Or do you want bar ends or spools with a little more pizzaz? On the other hand, buying them all in one shot would be more convenient and you would save some on shipping costs. One of the reasons why Revzilla is awesome. Over $40, free shipping!


__________________
2014 N300 SE ABS - White/Black/Red

Delkevic 8" mini slip on, T-rex frame sliders, adjustable shorty red levers, Motodynamic fender eliminator, black plasti-dipped windshield, ZX-R bar ends, SSR red stem nut, K&N air filter, K&N oil filter, red eBay spools, RAM mount, USB charger.
ArchonJ7 is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Vet
 
warning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 27
Thanked 185 Times in 147 Posts
For frame sliders. You can't go wrong with woodcrafts. I've crashed on Shogun and other cheap sliders and they just broke right off or the bolt bent. Woodcrafts are strong and never had issues with the plastic piece breaking off or bolt bending.

For the swingarm spools. This is just me and my 2cents but I don't think those protect the swing-arm at all. It helps to get the rear up the stand but in my experience, those things broke right off requiring me to use an extractor to get the rest of it off the swingarm.

Here is a pic of my bike after a mishap at turn 5 @ WSIR. Look at those frame sliders. They stayed in tact. I don't know about the rest of the bike though. LOL



I think I managed to unscrew the remaining thread of the spool but that thing broke right off.

Mods: me

Last edited by warning; 06-20-2014 at 12:54 PM.
warning is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 114
Thanks: 20
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
I'm thinking the destruction from turn 5 @ WSIR is a little overkill for a new rider looking for protection from slow speed topples...

However, I think it does say something about the quality of Woodcraft products.

__________________
2014 N300 SE ABS - White/Black/Red

Delkevic 8" mini slip on, T-rex frame sliders, adjustable shorty red levers, Motodynamic fender eliminator, black plasti-dipped windshield, ZX-R bar ends, SSR red stem nut, K&N air filter, K&N oil filter, red eBay spools, RAM mount, USB charger.
ArchonJ7 is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Vet
 
warning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 27
Thanked 185 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonJ7 View Post
I'm thinking the destruction from turn 5 @ WSIR is a little overkill for a new rider looking for protection from slow speed topples...

However, I think it does say something about the quality of Woodcraft products.
Right, that's what I was trying to get at. The woodcraft survived. Shogun and the other cheapies would've bent or the plastic piece would've snapped off.

Another thing and this is from experience, I don't know what low speed is to some people but 35mph low side on a lefty in Malibu bent the bolt on a shogun slider. Just sayin'.

Mods: me
warning is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran
 
BrownBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC-Tampa Bay Area, FL
Posts: 411
Thanks: 84
Thanked 77 Times in 71 Posts
Garage
Oggy Knobs, excellent no cut product. Easy install as long as you can get the fairings off. A little pricey, but you can get them cheaper than retail off of ebay direct from Oggy. If you buy from their site, they are a bit more expensive.

Proud Owner of a 2013 Ninja 300
Mods: Yoshimura Full Exhaust, PCV, K&N Air Filter, Yoshimura swingarm spools, Yoshimura fender delete, Oggy Knobs Frame Sliders

Cage - 2008 Honda Civic

"What's the difference between a pickpocket and a peeping tom? A picpocket snatches watches, a peeping tom watches sna..."
-Redd Foxx
BrownBiker is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about bar ends? Are there any over sized ones out there that might offer some protection in the event of a drop?
Fortech is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Seasoned Vet
 
Supersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,458
Thanks: 101
Thanked 306 Times in 238 Posts
Garage
So i'm setting my 300 up for the gf as well. She is taking her msf in august


Check these out:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...xt21NzV5_D_BwE


http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...EYRQwVgp_D_BwE


http://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-f...nja-300-250-13


http://japan.webike.net/products/9650821.html


For the handle bar, just get the ones that you want to swap out when it gets damage. I find that the handle bar doesnt really matter as far as sliders go.

The frame slider is all thats going to save the bike at low speed and nothing really can save the bike at high speed.

I'm stripping the fairings off of the 300 for her. I'll put them back on when i feel shes more comfortable on the bike.

I have the yoshi but I think i read that one of the forum members said the yoshi wont hold up in a high speed crash.

Everyone likes the oggy knob but i havnt read any crash test results from it.

Last edited by Supersport; 06-21-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Supersport is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Forum Champion
 
FreelancerMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,516
Thanks: 363
Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by warning View Post
For frame sliders. You can't go wrong with woodcrafts. I've crashed on Shogun and other cheap sliders and they just broke right off or the bolt bent. Woodcrafts are strong and never had issues with the plastic piece breaking off or bolt bending.

For the swingarm spools. This is just me and my 2cents but I don't think those protect the swing-arm at all. It helps to get the rear up the stand but in my experience, those things broke right off requiring me to use an extractor to get the rest of it off the swingarm.

Here is a pic of my bike after a mishap at turn 5 @ WSIR. Look at those frame sliders. They stayed in tact. I don't know about the rest of the bike though. LOL

...
You want protective bits of bikes and cars to break off in strong impacts. When they break off, they take with it a lot of energy with them that you don't have to worry about the frame or engine mounts taking instead. The woodcrafts staying on could mean the energy those sliders absorbed got dumped straight into the engine mounts and maybe tweaked or damaged the frame. Although with the rest of the damage, looks like it was a total either way. A good, high quality slider, will shear when they take too much of an impact or get caught up. You don't want to bend the bolt and you don't want that energy to dissipate into the frame and engine mounts. It's the same way formula 1 and even NASCAR bodies are designed. The skin is designed to either crumple or the fiberglass/carbon fiber is laid in such a way as to shatter and break off in a hard impact. The pieces that fly off absorb and take with it a lot of the impact energy that doesn't get dumped back into the rest of the craft. It why these vehicles can hit something at 200+ mph and look like nothing more than a cage with a seat in it and the driver is fine. The parts crumpling and bits flying off take and shed energy so the driver doesn't have to.

On a motorcycle you aren't worried as much for the rider as weird as that sounds. The rider is becoming a projectile regardless, you're goal is to design the protection system to save the frame and engine as much as possible. The body work usually does a good job absorbing and shedding energy similar to composite fibers. Which is why motorcycle bodywork generally breaks off into pieces instead of long splits like other common hard plastics do. The body work is designed to absorb energy then break off and take that energy with it in an attempt to salvage the frame. The rider though is generally boned and really has to rely on gear and a lot of luck. Good luck out there and take it easy on those turns there Warning.

2017 Black FZ-10
FreelancerMG is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 AM
Seasoned Vet
 
warning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 27
Thanked 185 Times in 147 Posts
I understand what you are saying but are we talking about sliders? Like frame sliders and crank case covers with sliders? Cars and motorcycles crash differently. When you low side, the bike just slides. When I was racing, most of the racers had woodcraft sliders, clipons, even crank case cover. No one worried about impact absorption because when motorcycles crash, the bike either slides or tumbles, in that case, the bodywork absorbs the energy. Never have I seen direct impact on a slider, like getting our rear bumper hit from the back. The R6 was checked with no frame damage.

Another thing, when you install frame sliders, they are typically installed through one of the motor mounts. When the slider bolt bends, They sometimes screw up the thread on the engine mount. Just sayin' from past experience.

Thanks FreeLancer. Trying to do too much on stock suspension is not cool. Guess what my first mod was to the N300? Suspension upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerMG View Post
You want protective bits of bikes and cars to break off in strong impacts. When they break off, they take with it a lot of energy with them that you don't have to worry about the frame or engine mounts taking instead. The woodcrafts staying on could mean the energy those sliders absorbed got dumped straight into the engine mounts and maybe tweaked or damaged the frame. Although with the rest of the damage, looks like it was a total either way. A good, high quality slider, will shear when they take too much of an impact or get caught up. You don't want to bend the bolt and you don't want that energy to dissipate into the frame and engine mounts. It's the same way formula 1 and even NASCAR bodies are designed. The skin is designed to either crumple or the fiberglass/carbon fiber is laid in such a way as to shatter and break off in a hard impact. The pieces that fly off absorb and take with it a lot of the impact energy that doesn't get dumped back into the rest of the craft. It why these vehicles can hit something at 200+ mph and look like nothing more than a cage with a seat in it and the driver is fine. The parts crumpling and bits flying off take and shed energy so the driver doesn't have to.

On a motorcycle you aren't worried as much for the rider as weird as that sounds. The rider is becoming a projectile regardless, you're goal is to design the protection system to save the frame and engine as much as possible. The body work usually does a good job absorbing and shedding energy similar to composite fibers. Which is why motorcycle bodywork generally breaks off into pieces instead of long splits like other common hard plastics do. The body work is designed to absorb energy then break off and take that energy with it in an attempt to salvage the frame. The rider though is generally boned and really has to rely on gear and a lot of luck. Good luck out there and take it easy on those turns there Warning.

Mods: me

Last edited by warning; 06-21-2014 at 03:34 AM.
warning is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some advice on buying the 300 ohyeahjono Ninja 300 General Discussion 28 05-24-2014 02:47 PM
Advice Needed - Buying Used 2013 Ninja 300 With 48 Miles amcintyre87 Ninja 300 General Discussion 40 01-19-2014 07:07 PM
Back Protection Snowbandit16 Riding Gear and Apparel 23 05-28-2013 10:03 AM
Ninja 300 Tank Protection Pad SalemRich Ninja 300 Appearance & Modifications 1 05-04-2013 07:24 PM
Personal Protection? NoD GP Ninja 300 General Discussion 104 03-17-2013 12:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome