Best SS ABS brake lines for 2019? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Best SS ABS brake lines for 2019?

Hey all,

Started using my '14 300 ABS for track recently, and it was a blast. Got some good knee drags on my first track day, can't wait to go back. Anyhow, I am feeling like my brakes are starting to go downhill. The pads were replaced this past summer, and are still in great shape. I am at 30,000 miles, so maybe new rotors are in order soon as well. They aren't thinning much, but have some mild vinyl rings if you know what i mean. But the lever feel suffers greatly on the track or even in the twisties around here. Even at speeds like 70-90mph I am noticing that it just takes a ton of clamping on that lever to really get slowed down for a hairpin, or even just emergency braking on the street takes almost all the hand strength I have to get front ABS to kick in or even remotely get close to the limit of traction when the surface is good. My fluid is replaced at least twice a year, and the fluid still looks good. The bike has always been this way, but I am starting to graduate to higher speeds and harder riding, and I also think these are the stock lines from 2014 soooooo definitely not a bad time to do lines! lol.

I've been reading up on SS lines and it sounds exactly like what I would want. Although, all, or most of the kits/reviews/discussions are from like 2012, and I am thinking there's got to be better newer kits out there now. I see like STG has like the Spiegler full kit for 175 ish, with custom color options. Looks like most Spiegler products are not bad as well. But I want some input from the other 300 guys to see what is actually good, and what has actually worked. I want zero hitches or problems doing the line swap, this is the most important part on the bike and I want the fit to be premium and 100% solid out of the box.

Honestly, I do not care about colors/appearance, the bike looks a little rough naturally and I don't mind, as long as she rides good! Any confirmed good kits for ABS 300? If i can, I just want the front, I don't think I need it in the rear, and Im squeaking by on student budget. I wouldn't cheap out for sure, but if I can buy just the front that would be ideal.

Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
I will recommend Spiegler all day long. Sure, they cost a few bucks more, but they’re high quality & they last. Your life is reliant on your bike functioning properly. IMHO, you can skimp on bodywork, windscreens, and a few other things; however, tires, brake pads, brake lines, and clutch lines are not in that category.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...e-kit-682.html

I’ve had my Spiegler lines on for 6 years and never had an issue - brakes are solid and consistent every time.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

Last edited by Rogue; Yesterday at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I will recommend Spiegler all day long. Sure, they cost a few bucks more, but they’re high quality & they last. Your life is reliant on your bike functioning properly. IMHO, you can skimp on bodywork, windscreens, and a few other things; however, tires, brake pads, brake lines, and crutch lines are not in that category.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...e-kit-682.html

I’ve had my Spiegler lines on for 6 years and never had an issue - brakes are solid and consistent every time.
You left out " Helmets " .

People ask me the big question. How much should I spend on a helmet

Usual reply is, I don't know How much is your head worth

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:18 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
You left out " Helmets " . :surprise

They bought the bike for the track, gear isn't optional on the track and must pass a safety inspection.

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Veteran

Have you ever done a vacuum bleed on the brakes? I had very similar brake feel and got a bunch of air out of my front brakes which made a huge difference. Regular gravity bleeding often can't get all the air out of many motorcycle brakes because of how vertical the lines are. The abs system enhances that issue.
You'll gain a bit of brake feel from SS lines but what you're describing sounds like something is wrong.
Regarding the disc, as long as the thickness is within spec and it's not warped (pulsating) or cracked it doesn't need to be replaced. Circumferencial grooves are normal won't hurt anything (technically they actually create a little more braking surface but that's of no consequence.)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Veteran

BTW my bike is a 2017 with 3k miles. I'm pretty sure the air in the brakes was a factory feature.....
Rogue likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
They bought the bike for the track, gear isn't optional on the track and must pass a safety inspection.
So you don't need to keep your brains contained while on the track.

Or, you don't need any brains to go to the track.

Which one, Darling.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
So you don't need to keep your brains contained while on the track.

Or, you don't need any brains to go to the track.

Which one, Darling.
You can't ride on the track without a full face helmet, so...

Most even require a one piece leather suit with no signs of damage.

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lol, I have a one piece suit, shoei RF1200, astars gauntlet gloves, and a nice pair of track boots.

But yes, I have bled my brakes very well, I was a mechanic for a couple years, I am quite sure I did the job properly, the brakes are not malfunctioning, and there is no *significant* air in the system. Perhaps some micro bubbles, which yes, make a difference, but basically none. I have ridden higher performance bikes, and I know what brake levers are supposed to feel like too. All I am saying is I just experience the brake lines expanding when I am really getting on it. The literal braking power is quite good, if I use all my might, I could lock the front wheel, but I am looking for a more refined feel on the lever.

Rogue, I am glad you gave me some feedback on the Spiegler lines, that was what I was looking for, or a recommendation on another good brand/model. Absolutely, I am 100% in for not cheaping out here, I just needed that input from other people to see what they thought about them. I will look into them real soon.

Kenny, no i haven't tried a vacuum bleed. I can do a completely proper standard brake bleed, flush, ect. and I am very confident I have no significant air bubbles, but if the vacuum bleed can get out micro bubbles or of the like, that could be really good. What was involved in doing a vacuum bleed? Good idea.

Edit: no warped rotors, minor circumferential marks, great condition brake pads with tons of life left on front and back. No leaks anywhere either.

Any more input guys? I am not necessarily looking to improve the braking power, just the feel, and I think SS lines are the way to get what I am looking for. Thanks again
-Mike
Rogue likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Veteran

It just involves buying a air powered vacuum bleeder hooking it up to the bleed nipple and letting er rip. It draws fluid through the system quickly enough that the air doesn't have time to resettle in high spots.

In some brake systems (motorcycle ones in particular because of how vertical the lines are) you can literally pump gallons of brake fluid through the system bleeding conventionally, see no air for hours and still have significant air in the system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page