Luck with aftermarket seats? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Luck with aftermarket seats?

Hey all,

So I went on my first touring ride with a group! It was about 200 miles each way, after the first hour OW that stock seat is just agony!

Any luck with the Saddlemen gel-channel seats, or corbin seats? Looks like the reviews for Saddlemen seats are a bit mixed.

--D
Phoenix, AZ

2014 Ninja 300 ABS, Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 PM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinaz1979 View Post
Any luck with the Saddlemen gel-channel seats, or corbin seats? Looks like the reviews for Saddlemen seats are a bit mixed.

Would like to know the same.
Haven't attempted a LONG ride yet, for exactly this [sore butt] reason.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
Would like to know the same.
Haven't attempted a LONG ride yet, for exactly this [sore butt] reason.
To start, their is not going to be much padding on a seat for a NINJA. But, I have done some reading / research on both Saddleman and Corbin. I think that if I was making a choice right now, I would most likely opt for the Saddleman. One reason being is that the shape is somewhat different. Different in a way that it provides more area for your butt cheeks. And the front of the seat is angled differently than a stock seat as it provides some resistance from sliding forward into the gas tank.

With that said, I opted for and installed the " Kawasaki Factory GEL Seat " on my NINJA. Only have about 300 miles on it and can not provide a full review. But it is somewhat more comfortable than the stock seat and after a period of time it does seem to be taking the shape of your butt.

One thing you do have to take into account as with the factory GEL seat, it is " ONE " inch thicker than the stock seat. Not that you will notice it because you are sitting more into the seat, but you are sitting higher and thus you are reaching more forward for the handle bars. And if you are on the short side with a short inseam, you will be reaching further to touch the ground.

As for comfort rides on the NINJA, " PERSONALLY " I feel that a 100 mile break and stretch is a requirement. It seemed to work for me when I had the stock seat and I am still doing so with the GEL seat.

But in closing, I think that if I had to do it all over again, I may have opted for the Saddleman seat. But before you opt for it, their is one other thing I would check out and that is the PASSENGER PAD. The factory seat comes with a new full GEL matching passenger pad, while I think some of the other seats mentioned only come with a passenger pad cover.

Just do your homework and good luck.

P.S. If you are looking for real comfort, then buy a Honda Gold Wing
MAL likes this.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran

You can also install you own gel pad in your seat. I've done it on a few bikes now and it makes a pretty big difference.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:49 PM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
You can also install you own gel pad in your seat. I've done it on a few bikes now and it makes a pretty big difference.

"install you own gel pad in your seat" what does that mean, exactly?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I'm not looking to turn my 300 into a Gold Wing (or get one), just for some relief on 2+ hour rides. I may have my local chopper shop just rebuild the seat with some memory foam, he's quite reasonable.

Cheers!

--D
Phoenix, AZ

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
Do you mean reupholster your seat? I'm thinking of having that done.

--D
Phoenix, AZ

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote from a customer on Cyclegear regarding the Saddlemen Gel-Channel Sport Seat at standard height (the tallest one)

"I got the standard one and the height feels about 1/4 inch higher than the OEM seat. Not a huge difference."

I doubt 1/4" will make much of a difference, the Kawasaki Gel seat is 5/8" taller, so the manufacturer claims, and includes the passenger seat.

Review for the Saddlemen 'TECH' seat

"The seat raises the seat height by 1.5 inches or so. It is super comfortable for the nice long rides from Las Vegas to Salt Lake. The seat does get damaged by the sun easily and fades to a gray. It will then start deteriorating and will look super shaggy.
I probably wouldn't buy it again for the price of it."

-note, it does include a protective cover, doesn't sound like this customer bothered to use it.

The Saddlemen Gel-channeled Tech (not sport) seat is designed for maximum comfort and long rides.

Saddlemen: $280-$290
Kawa Gel seat + passenger seat: $360

--D
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by Devinaz1979; 08-27-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:06 PM
Veteran

GEL SEAT UPDATE to previous posting :

Took a ride this afternoon on just basically country roads. But stayed on the bike for over TWO hours.

Will have to admit and report that the " factory " GEL seat seems to be starting to work for me. What I mean is that other riders have reported that you need to give a GEL seat time to work and take shape. What I mean by taking shape is forming to your own body.

My other rides were basically one hour in duration, but today I wanted to push the envelope a bit and stretched it out to a little over two hours. I am quite sure that I could have ridden longer, but had other things on my agenda and had to return home.

I am starting to believe that an all day ride would not be a problem. Naturally you would have to take some rest time, but you could also push the time in the saddle. Also, you may have to stop for gas.

Even though in some people's minds it is a little costly, I now firmly believe that the " Kawasaki GEL Seat " was the right choice choice, at least for this Ninja 300 rider.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

Last edited by Granpooba; 08-27-2019 at 11:24 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Veteran

It mean buying a gel pad, removing your seat cover, carving out a spot for the gel pad in the foam, installing it, covering it with a layer of smoothing foam and then restapling your stick cover on. It sounds complicated but there are tutorials online and if you take your time the seat can look stock, be a lot more comfortable and the whole thing costs $60

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page