Best tire for a Ninja 300 commuter? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Best tire for a Ninja 300 commuter?

Hello I recently bought a ninja 300 and I want to learn how to ride. I mainly just ride to work and I suck at doing leans. My work is like 20-30 minutes away. So I believe sticky tires won’t work for me because they wear fast and I live far away. I try to ride a lot to learn how to ride and learn how to lean... what would be the best tire to commute and learn to lean on my ninja 300? Thanks for all the help!

I have been looking at michelin pilot street radial, bridgestone BT-45(idk if they make them anymore. Someone in this website recommended them). Also have been looking at pirelli sport demon touring. And pirelli Diablo rosso 3s im assuming those won’t work for me cause they are for racing.

Anyways what do you suggest? Thanks for the help. I’m a noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:53 PM
Veteran

What tires are on it now? Are they worn out? Pretty much anything will work fine for commuting on a low powered bike like the 300. Obviously track specific tires aren't a good idea but any general sport bike or touring tires will be fine. Ive had good luck with shinko tourmasters. They are cheap and work well enough for dd riding. It really just depends on your budget though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
What tires are on it now? Are they worn out? Pretty much anything will work fine for commuting on a low powered bike like the 300. Obviously track specific tires aren't a good idea but any general sport bike or touring tires will be fine. Ive had good luck with shinko tourmasters. They are cheap and work well enough for dd riding. It really just depends on your budget though.
They are just stock tires that are almost worn out. Front tire is good though. But I hear the stock tires are bad. I just don’t know what to get. I hear the michelin sport road 5s are good or bt45
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran

The Michelin roads are very good tires but personally I think they are a bit much for a 300 especially if youre just learning and only riding on regular roads. Though if you have the cash go for it. I bought a bike with road 4s on it a d they were good.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:48 AM

I kind of have the same question...also a noob...first bike (it's a 2017)... just got it 3 weeks ago. Driving it to work everyday (about 2 miles) and going for slow paced learning/joyrides on the weekends. Tires on it are Road Winner IRC RX-01R. Tread is still pretty good. Bike only had 3,000 miles on it when I bought it and I've put a little over 200 on it so far. I'm very scared to lean and take any sharp curves or corners cause I certainly don't want the bike to slip out from under me, but it would give me a little peace of mind if knew the tires I have aren't complete shit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Veteran

While I have no personal experience with irc tires they seem like a decent brand. I wouldn't worry about them. Just work within your own limits. Especially if you're new to riding you'll find your limit long before you find the tires limit.
jkv45 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Because they are pretty new, have low miles, and don't appear to be cracking or checking - I'd say you are fine. Check the pressure regularly, and make sure they are always set properly - that makes a big difference.

Have you taken a riding course? You shouldn't be fearful of leaning in turns - it's part of riding. It's not going to just slide out with moderate leaning at moderate speeds unless there is something on the pavement.

9 times out of 10 the cycle can safely lean over significantly more than you think, or am comfortable with.

I'm not familiar with that exact tire or its performance, but you could do a search of reviews for your specific cycle and see if there are positive or negative comments about the tires. I thought I saw a comparison of the Ninja, R3, and CBR somewhere that commented on tires, but I don't recall the specifics.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbelievethebs View Post
I kind of have the same question...also a noob...first bike (it's a 2017)... just got it 3 weeks ago. Driving it to work everyday (about 2 miles) and going for slow paced learning/joyrides on the weekends. Tires on it are Road Winner IRC RX-01R. Tread is still pretty good. Bike only had 3,000 miles on it when I bought it and I've put a little over 200 on it so far. I'm very scared to lean and take any sharp curves or corners cause I certainly don't want the bike to slip out from under me, but it would give me a little peace of mind if knew the tires I have aren't complete shit.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
They are complete shit
Honestly, they are ok for general commuting and riding around town, but if you are interested in leaning a bit and learning to ride a bit quicker, then yes they are terrible. The other bad thing about Road Winners is that they usually become hard and unreliable long before the tread runs out.

If you do low mileage and want some decent tyres, go for a sports tyre of much higher quality. Better tyres will give you much more confidence when leaning. I think Metzeler M7RRs are the best on the lil Ninja and 150/60 feels nicer on the back. Battlax hypersport tyres work well on the Ninja too.

If you do a lot of miles then you need to consider that sports tyres wont last as long and maybe go for a sports tourer type tyre.
Rogue and jkv45 like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran

Are the road winners crap?....compared to the many superior options available?....yes, they are crap.

Are they good/safe enough that Kawasaki chose to put them on as OEM equipment?...yes

The tire is fine and you won't die riding on them....but if you want a better ride and handling a tire upgrade should be in your future.
jkv45 likes this.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbelievethebs View Post
They are complete shit. They're hard, they take forever to warm up, they get harder as they age, and, well, they suck. The positive about them is that they're good for something like 7,000 miles. That's 7k miles of crappy tires. If you get tires in the stock size, they aren't that expensive. My husband didn't believe how bad those were until I had him ride my bike to the dealer for a recall while I was out of town - this was back in 2013. He pushed the front end out on an interstate on ramp. When's the last time you saw an on ramp with an aggressive turn? If you can afford it, get something better. You'll have more confidence in corners, the bike will handle a little better, and, well, to be brutally honest, your life is riding on those tires, don't you want something that you 100% trust?
randycastell and jkv45 like this.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page