Lowering Links ? Approve /Disapprove ? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Lowering Links ? Approve /Disapprove ?

Kennylxix and I have chatted about " Lowering Links ". He has installed them on his bike and I am seriously considering the same installation.

Just wondering if other folks have also swapped out the links and lowered the back of their Ninja's. I you have do you approve or disapprove of the installation ? Would you do it again ? Inches that you have lowered the rear ? Finally, what brand of lowering links did you use ?

Looking forward to replies, information and suggestions.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran

most riders who've lowered their bikes have done so due to a need for a lower seat height (short inseam)...and they combine the rear lowering links with a front fork drop of the same amount to maintain steering geometry.

Are you just looking to lower the rear of the bike? In theory you'd give up some steering sharpness for some improved high speed stability..
Rogue likes this.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:24 PM

Mine is lowered 1" just in the rear for a more upright position. I know it changed the steering geometry a little but I felt no difference (though I'm far from an expert)
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawk View Post
most riders who've lowered their bikes have done so due to a need for a lower seat height (short inseam)...and they combine the rear lowering links with a front fork drop of the same amount to maintain steering geometry.

Are you just looking to lower the rear of the bike? In theory you'd give up some steering sharpness for some improved high speed stability..

Inseam if fine and no problem planting both feet on the pavement when stopped, thus no problems holding bike up.

The theory going thru my mind and other folks mind is :

Have added Handle Bar Risers, thus raising height 1" and moving bars back 1/2". Now if rear of bike was lowered it should some what flatten the bike and moving the riders position to a more upright position. Thus, making it a more comfortable position.

Have ridden more bikes that I can presently recall, but the Ninja's steering is very sharp and if it was to loose a little sharpness by lowering the back, I doubt that a rider would have any problems with the little sharpness that is lost.

I have found " Lowering Links " for the Ninja's all over the internet. But, have yet to find riders that have actually installed them on their bikes. Thus, not really getting the feedback that I am looking for.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Disapprove. I installed a T-Rex one on a friends N650 and couldn't be happier that they eventually wanted to take it off. It led to plastics rubbing on the springs and you could just tell the manufacturer never intended it to go that low. It just put things out of alignment compared to how the original design was.

My opinion is to only install one if the alternative is selling the bike (as in a too short rider that simply won't ride at the given height). I'd really advise against installing one for cosmetic or superfluous ergonomic reasons. But hey, that's just my opinion. If a lowering link will really improve someone's experience to the point they'd ride more, so be it. Besides that, I really can't see the technically objective downsides be less than the upsides.
jkv45 likes this.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Never thought it was a good idea.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:37 PM

No clearance issues at all on mine. Maybe if it were lowered a lot it would be an issue but 1" really isn't very much.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Garage
Disapprove

You are jacking with angles that can make the bike unstable in certain situations. I understand lowering it for better support or “flat footing”, but you are compromising riding stability for the short moments you are standing still. People do this all the time and it works for them and Like Gables_Ninja said, if you like it and it keeps you riding, then by all means, go for it, but from a technical standpoint, it’s not a good thing to do.

This video can help explain.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
‘18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
Disapprove. I installed a T-Rex one on a friends N650 and couldn't be happier that they eventually wanted to take it off. It led to plastics rubbing on the springs and you could just tell the manufacturer never intended it to go that low. It just put things out of alignment compared to how the original design was.

My opinion is to only install one if the alternative is selling the bike (as in a too short rider that simply won't ride at the given height). I'd really advise against installing one for cosmetic or superfluous ergonomic reasons. But hey, that's just my opinion. If a lowering link will really improve someone's experience to the point they'd ride more, so be it. Besides that, I really can't see the technically objective downsides be less than the upsides.

The lowering links that I have been looking at are all adjustable. I have been considering lowering the rear only 1.0 to 1.6 inches. With those numbers, I sincerely doubt that anything would be rubbing. Other folks have mentioned the loss of steering geometry but an increase in speed stability. My rides on this bike will be mostly on well paved country back roads. A little loss of steering geometry would be hardly noticed. And at the speeds I ride, I am not worried that I need more stability.

BUT !! Also I am thinking. Is lowering the back of my Ninja one to one and a half inches, really going to make me that much more comfortable ? Sorry to say, I am thinking not.

Need to say thank you folks, for the input you are giving.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Mine is lowered 1 inch with the roaring toyz kit. Since I have a permit and can't drive on the freeway, i have to take the streets. Sometimes it's a lot of stopping and it can be on the top of a hill or some uneven surface. I'm very short, 163-164 cm which is like 5'4' if i'm correct. When i got the bike, the lowering links were still being shipped. I went a week with stock height and i was so uncomfortable and my legs got tired quickly. Not to mention when i had to park it was way harder on tipy toes.
Long story short, the dealership finally got the lowering links and they lowered the bike 1 inch and added the handle bare riser. I asked my dealer to drive it back home, and he was doing 90 ish on the highway (adult man weight) and he had no issues with steering or the clearance.
Let me also point it out that i have almost 0 experience, but to me the lowering changed the feeling of riding to the better. I feel more safe, i get less tired and I like the way my motorcycle is steering.
Granpooba likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page