Lowering Links ? Approve /Disapprove ? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Interesting but how is lowering the back a little any different from riding with a passenger? The rear will ride at least that much lower. There's no way a manufacturer would design a bike that would become unstable with a passenger in it.
Granpooba likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 PM

I was really surprised as how much more upright I felt after lowering the back. It really does make a a difference. I would say as much as the risers did.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
Interesting but how is lowering the back a little any different from riding with a passenger? The rear will ride at least that much lower. There's no way a manufacturer would design a bike that would become unstable with a passenger in it.

Point well made

I have viewed the previously posted video a number of times in regards to trailing arm mounting angle and geometry. Have also looked at and measured trailing arm angle on my own Ninja and I fail to see how using a LOWERING LINK is going to drastically change the handling of the bike, especially if one is only lowering it 1 to 2 inches.

Every bike that I have ever owned and have ridden with a passenger, will compress the shock and change the trailing arm angle.

As you state, I also just can not believe that a manufacturer would design a bike that becomes unstable with a passenger on it and compressing its components.

I know that I will never be riding my Ninja with a passenger aboard. Thus, now I can not really see any reason why these bikes can not be physically lowered 1 to 1.5 inches, as I considered doing.

Finally, I feel that the companies that produce the Lowering Links must have done a lot of testing before they went into mass production and offered to the public. I also assume that many of the tests were actually performed on the tracks with racing bikes. If their was even the remote possibility that the links were a dangerous mod, then I believe their would be an endless number of law suits.
" ONLY MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS " Kindly don't flame me.
NyssaHun likes this.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:35 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Iím so short (5í 1Ē or 155 cm) and my inseam is only 28Ē (71 cm) - I can't even flat foot a Honda Grom, let alone my 300. I pay close attention to how and where I stop - on a flat surface, I tippy toe it. If itís an uneven surface, then I one foot it. Iíve never lowered my 300 and never will. Why? Because if I can only ride a 300 by lowering it an inch, then that means I can never ride a taller bike. This worked for me because I put in the hours learning how to compensate for my short comings ( <ó see what I did there?).

If you want to lower the back & raise the bars in order to change the seating position, why not get another bike thatís meant for that position?

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Iím so short (5í 1Ē or 155 cm) and my inseam is only 28Ē (71 cm) - I can't even flat foot a Honda Grom, let alone my 300. I pay close attention to how and where I stop - on a flat surface, I tippy toe it. If itís an uneven surface, then I one foot it. Iíve never lowered my 300 and never will. Why? Because if I can only ride a 300 by lowering it an inch, then that means I can never ride a taller bike. This worked for me because I put in the hours learning how to compensate for my short comings ( <ó see what I did there?).

If you want to lower the back & raise the bars in order to change the seating position, why not get another bike thatís meant for that position?

But Darling, I already do have another bike with a comfortable position and even a back rest.
Its just that some of us with nothing better to do are just trying to make the Ninja 300 " perfect ".
Also, I have already found (5) companies that make lowering links for the Ninja's. Thus, I can only assume that if five companies are making links, then they know that their are riders out their not happy with their seating positions.

Yesterday, I chatted with a Kawasaki Tech Rep. He stated that many riders do lower the back for a more flat look and seat position. When asked about change in handling ? He stated that the " average " sport bike rider would most likely not notice any change in handling if any at all. But, a real aggressive rider or one that races the Ninja, would naturally notice a change. But not a dangerous change.

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I’m so short (5’ 1” or 155 cm) and my inseam is only 28” (71 cm) - I can't even flat foot a Honda Grom, let alone my 300. I pay close attention to how and where I stop - on a flat surface, I tippy toe it. If it’s an uneven surface, then I one foot it. I’ve never lowered my 300 and never will. Why? Because if I can only ride a 300 by lowering it an inch, then that means I can never ride a taller bike. This worked for me because I put in the hours learning how to compensate for my short comings ( <— see what I did there?).

If you want to lower the back & raise the bars in order to change the seating position, why not get another bike that’s meant for that position?
I bought the 300 because I really like small displacement bikes and the options are pretty limited for a modern one. There cb300r is a bit more upright but also a bit lower in power.
I've had many many bikes and have always modified each one to make them fit my body and tastes as much as practical. I say why not make what you ride suit you? It's no different than adding an exhaust or tail tidy except in the case of ergonomics it'll actually make a difference in the riding experience.
I really don't understand the idea of not making your current bike fit you better because a future bike might not fit well
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:

Have spent hours thinking about your statement of spending hours learning to ride the bike " tippy toe ". Then got to thinking, would this not be the perfect example of somebody that should / could lower their bike perhaps 1.0 to 1.5 inches. Thus, eliminate the tippy toe riding technique. Being lowered just a short distance, nobody would even notice that the bike is lowered. No change in handling performance and the comfort and safety of having a flat foot on the ground would be established.

As far as riding other bikes is concerned. I can not count the number of ladies and shorter fellows that I have observed riding motorcycles much larger than the Ninja 300. All the way from Harley Sportsters up to Honda Gold Wings. They all seem to be riding just fine on the larger bikes.

Just a thought to be considered. But, I know that I personally would not ride a bike with just a tippy toe technique. I have in the past and found it much to easy for a foot to slip. Thus, I either opted for another bike, or in one case, a new lower custom made seat.

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Have spent hours thinking about your statement of spending hours learning to ride the bike " tippy toe ". Then got to thinking, would this not be the perfect example of somebody that should / could lower their bike perhaps 1.0 to 1.5 inches. Thus, eliminate the tippy toe riding technique. Being lowered just a short distance, nobody would even notice that the bike is lowered. No change in handling performance and the comfort and safety of having a flat foot on the ground would be established.

As far as riding other bikes is concerned. I can not count the number of ladies and shorter fellows that I have observed riding motorcycles much larger than the Ninja 300. All the way from Harley Sportsters up to Honda Gold Wings. They all seem to be riding just fine on the larger bikes.

Just a thought to be considered. But, I know that I personally would not ride a bike with just a tippy toe technique. I have in the past and found it much to easy for a foot to slip. Thus, I either opted for another bike, or in one case, a new lower custom made seat.

Just adding a statement to what I have said above.

Even though I think it may be a good idea to lower a bike so that the rider can flatly place their feet on the ground when need be. I just got done watching a video on YOU TUBE showing techniques for shorter riders. Even with many years of riding experience behind me, I was amazed as to how well people with a shorter inseam can handle and ride a bike.

Many techniques and examples were demonstrated on how to ride. And I must say to the people with shorter reach, congratulations on how well you can ride and handle a motorcycle.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
But Darling...

Quote:
Yesterday, I chatted with a Kawasaki Tech Rep. He stated that many riders do lower the back for a more flat look and seat position. When asked about change in handling ? He stated that the " average " sport bike rider would most likely not notice any change in handling if any at all. But, a real aggressive rider or one that races the Ninja, would naturally notice a change. But not a dangerous change.
I would drastically notice that change when tipping into corners, but that's me - you do you, Curly Sue.

Quote:

1. A Honda Goldwing is not a motorcycle, it's a La-Z-Boy with wheels.
2. When you're short, you get really good at paying very close attention to the state of the ground and where you're stopping - very good.

Quote:
Just adding a statement to what I have said above.

Even though I think it may be a good idea to lower a bike so that the rider can flatly place their feet on the ground when need be. I just got done watching a video on YOU TUBE showing techniques for shorter riders. Even with many years of riding experience behind me, I was amazed as to how well people with a shorter inseam can handle and ride a bike.

Many techniques and examples were demonstrated on how to ride. And I must say to the people with shorter reach, congratulations on how well you can ride and handle a motorcycle.

For anyone else reading this thread and wants a good reference for how us shorter folks ride, I recommend this article by Gear Chic: http://www.gearchic.com/blog/2012/09...r-short-riders

If I'm out riding, you'll generally see me wearing my Dainese Sirens sport touring boots because they boost height by 3/4". For flat surfaces, such as tracks, I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Lei boots - they're stiffer and I'm ballerina toes in those suckers. That's okay, though because it's an even surface. I really wanted to love the Daytona Ladystar boots that boost height a little over an inch on the sole, and 2" in the heel. Unfortunately, they hit my foot exactly in the spot where I've fractured it twice and hurt just zipping them up. Those were a hard no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
I bought the 300 because I really like small displacement bikes and the options are pretty limited for a modern one. There cb300r is a bit more upright but also a bit lower in power.
I've had many many bikes and have always modified each one to make them fit my body and tastes as much as practical. I say why not make what you ride suit you? It's no different than adding an exhaust or tail tidy except in the case of ergonomics it'll actually make a difference in the riding experience.
I really don't understand the idea of not making your current bike fit you better because a future bike might not fit well
I've completely set up this bike to suit me and my riding style. About the only thing that's still stock: frame, engine, fairings, wheels, and seat. From the tapered steering bearings, to the Spiegler stainless steel brake likes, the sintered brake pads, Vortex adjustable rear sets, LED lights, double bubble screen, Yoshimura fender eliminator, DRII tires (not great for longevity, but so sticky), CRG adjustable levers, sprockets, chain... you name it, I've changed it out to be what I wanted for my bike.

As for why I won't lower this one, see the article above. I'm short, the world isn't going to adjust to suit me; however, I can adjust my riding style to suit the world of motorcycles that I enjoy.

Granpooba likes this.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:

I would drastically notice that change when tipping into corners, but that's me - you do you, Curly Sue.

1. A Honda Goldwing is not a motorcycle, it's a La-Z-Boy with wheels.
2. When you're short, you get really good at paying very close attention to the state of the ground and where you're stopping - very good.

For anyone else reading this thread and wants a good reference for how us shorter folks ride, I recommend this article by Gear Chic: http://www.gearchic.com/blog/2012/09...r-short-riders

If I'm out riding, you'll generally see me wearing my Dainese Sirens sport touring boots because they boost height by 3/4". For flat surfaces, such as tracks, I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Lei boots - they're stiffer and I'm ballerina toes in those suckers. That's okay, though because it's an even surface. I really wanted to love the Daytona Ladystar boots that boost height a little over an inch on the sole, and 2" in the heel. Unfortunately, they hit my foot exactly in the spot where I've fractured it twice and hurt just zipping them up. Those were a hard no.

I've completely set up this bike to suit me and my riding style. About the only thing that's still stock: frame, engine, fairings, wheels, and seat. From the tapered steering bearings, to the Spiegler stainless steel brake likes, the sintered brake pads, Vortex adjustable rear sets, LED lights, double bubble screen, Yoshimura fender eliminator, DRII tires (not great for longevity, but so sticky), CRG adjustable levers, sprockets, chain... you name it, I've changed it out to be what I wanted for my bike.

As for why I won't lower this one, see the article above. I'm short, the world isn't going to adjust to suit me; however, I can adjust my riding style to suit the world of motorcycles that I enjoy.

WOW , Darling ...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page