The GIpro-DSG ear Position Indicator/Installation - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Gables_Ninja

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The GIpro-DSG ear Position Indicator/Installation

I am quite sure that somebody has previously discussed this gear indicator and installation. But, I can not find anything on it and maybe just to lazy to keep looking.

Wondering if anybody is using one on their Ninja 300's ? Your honest opinion on the indicator ? Ease of installation and do you really have to pull most of the side fairings off to route the wire ? Or can the wire be routed fairly easily, without pull fairings ?

Thank you for your time.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Hey there, Granpooba!

- Installation is easy. It's plug and play in the rear diagnostics connector.
- I'd wait until you had the fairings off for installation. It just makes life easier. You'll probably spend as much time with double the cussing and worse aesthetics if you try to do it with the fairings on. Personally, I made my life even harder. I drilled a hole above the dash just a bit larger than the cable diameter, and had the indicator right above the dash in the middle. You can just barely see it here. Then I took off the connector, threaded the wire and reattached the connector as well as passed the cable discretely behind all the fairings. It looked good enough and was where it was best visible.
- Honest opinion? It's a convenient gimmick. It's main use is to avoid shifting into 7th gear on the highway. It's useless with the clutch in or at walking speeds as it is based on speed and RPM. That said, I liked having it and didn't regret installing it. Just don't buy that brand-name unit at 150$. Get it on Ebay or Amazon for around 50$. At that price it's worth it, but not at much more than that. I really doubt the more expensive units work any better than the cheap ones.

Anyway, hope it was helpful!
Topaz, MAL and Granpooba like this.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
Hey there, Granpooba!

- Installation is easy. It's plug and play in the rear diagnostics connector.
- I'd wait until you had the fairings off for installation. It just makes life easier. You'll probably spend as much time with double the cussing and worse aesthetics if you try to do it with the fairings on. Personally, I made my life even harder. I drilled a hole above the dash just a bit larger than the cable diameter, and had the indicator right above the dash in the middle. You can just barely see it here. Then I took off the connector, threaded the wire and reattached the connector as well as passed the cable discretely behind all the fairings. It looked good enough and was where it was best visible.
- Honest opinion? It's a convenient gimmick. It's main use is to avoid shifting into 7th gear on the highway. It's useless with the clutch in or at walking speeds as it is based on speed and RPM. That said, I liked having it and didn't regret installing it. Just don't buy that brand-name unit at 150$. Get it on Ebay or Amazon for around 50$. At that price it's worth it, but not at much more than that. I really doubt the more expensive units work any better than the cheap ones.

Anyway, hope it was helpful!

Very helpful and thank you for the explanation and time.

Not even sure if I even want one. Also, thru out my riding years, I may have missed a few shifts but not that many. And I do not need an indicator to tell me about 7th gear, as I already know that my Ninja does not have one.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran

I was going to install it, then backed off. It comes back to my mind once in a while, but so far didn't do it.

When I'm in doubt about being in 6th or 5th gear, I check the speed and rpm's. If the first digit of the speed is one less than the first digit of the rpm's, then I'm in 6th gear. (with stock gearing)
i.e.
rpm's=10xxx and speed in the 90's, then 6th gear. If speed in the 80's, then 5th gear.
rpm's= 9xxx and speed in the 80's, then 6th gear. If speed in the 70's, then 5th gear.
and so on...

It works pretty much all the time with stock gear when above 7k rpm's.
If I'm below 7k rpm's, I'm most likely to shift down than up as the bike feels so unreactive.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I was going to install it, then backed off. It comes back to my mind once in a while, but so far didn't do it.

When I'm in doubt about being in 6th or 5th gear, I check the speed and rpm's. If the first digit of the speed is one less than the first digit of the rpm's, then I'm in 6th gear. (with stock gearing)
i.e.
rpm's=10xxx and speed in the 90's, then 6th gear. If speed in the 80's, then 5th gear.
rpm's= 9xxx and speed in the 80's, then 6th gear. If speed in the 70's, then 5th gear.
and so on...

If I'm below 7k rpm's, I'm most likely to shift down than up as the bike feels so unreactive.

Works the same for me.

I usually like to ride or drive feeling that the vehicle is pulling. Unless on an open highway and just cruising then its high gear.

But in traffic or winding road, I like think that if I need to give it some gas, then the bike / vehicle will pull.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
i.e.
and so on...

Having to think about comparing speed and RPM and doing any sort of calculation is exactly why I'm glad I have a gear indicator. That seems way too complicated compared to just a broad glance at RPMs and engine noise. There are moments where that's fine, but there are others when you're just cruising and can't be bothered to put that any thought into it. Or you just miscalculate for whatever reason. In that sense the gear indicator is a fail-safe of sorts. My only peeve is that there isn't really any OEM-looking way to install it on the 300.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
Having to think about comparing speed and RPM and doing any sort of calculation is exactly why I'm glad I have a gear indicator. That seems way too complicated compared to just a broad glance at RPMs and engine noise. There are moments where that's fine, but there are others when you're just cruising and can't be bothered to put that any thought into it. Or you just miscalculate for whatever reason. In that sense the gear indicator is a fail-safe of sorts. My only peeve is that there isn't really any OEM-looking way to install it on the 300.

I have to and will agree with you.

Took a somewhat long ride today of about 135 miles. Just to check out risers and gel seat.

Did ride on all types of roadways, being both country roads and interstates. Couple of times I did check to make sure that I was in high gear when on an interstate. And when I was in stop and go traffic, a couple of times again, was not quite sure what gear I had selected. Bike rode just fine with the gear selections that I had chosen, but then again, an indicator would have been nice.

Maybe sometime in the future, one might find a gear indicator mounted on my bike. Stranger things have happened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page