• 2 Post By jkv45
  • 2 Post By Granpooba
  • 2 Post By ichbinbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anlas winter tires

Hi everyone,

Since snow started falling my morning commute became so bad I am actually considering getting those and taking out my bike!

I was wondering how well they handled in winter conditions, anyone has experience with those?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran

Why would you want to commute in heavy traffic and snow on a cycle?

I don't think it would make the trip any better, just a lot more dangerous.

I've ridden in snow and ice (with and without studs), but always on dirt bikes. Bigger bikes, even the size of the little Ninja, are going to be a handful - no matter what tires you have.

Only bike I would ever consider riding on the street in the winter would be some kind of smaller enduro, as it's much closer to dirt riding than street riding - with plenty of sliding and front-end wash-outs.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zegzao View Post
Hi everyone,

Since snow started falling my morning commute became so bad I am actually considering getting those and taking out my bike!

I was wondering how well they handled in winter conditions, anyone has experience with those?

You are kidding right. For the most part the people that I have observed these days can not even drive safely on snow and ice, in four wheel vehicles. Just watch the news and the WEATHER CHANNEL and you will see all of the idiots with their totaled vehicles, that thought they knew how to drive in wintery conditions.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Why would you want to commute in heavy traffic and snow on a cycle?
- Avoid heavy traffic by splitting?
- Not have to leave 1h before usually do because maybe the bus will: not show, get stuck in traffic, etc...
- ride? (4months is a long wait!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I've ridden in snow and ice (with and without studs), but always on dirt bikes. Bigger bikes, even the size of the little Ninja, are going to be a handful - no matter what tires you have..
I expect the ninja to be a bit heavy but I don't think it would be too much of a problem if the tires have good grip.
I had to drive back from my dealership after a snowstorm (around November) that had not fully melted and it was quite a fight to keep it upright on patches of melting snow/ice but not impossible! (And this was with my Michelin Power Pilot, not a winter tire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
You are kidding right. For the most part the people that I have observed these days can not even drive safely on snow and ice, in four wheel vehicles. Just watch the news and the WEATHER CHANNEL and you will see all of the idiots with their totaled vehicles, that thought they knew how to drive in wintery conditions.
Well the plan is not to go straight to the busiest street with full throttle, if I find it too dangerous then of course I will not do it!
But I don't think conditions should always dictate whether we can drive or not, if you know your limits you will know what you can and cannot do. Some people won't drive when it's raining or on some surfaces (gravel/sand) and it's fine but it does not automatically make if impossible / too risky! (I mean we wouldn't all be here if we were super risk-averse )

I realize how slippery snow/ice CAN be (I drove on melting snow/ice once & survived!), which is why I am asking if anyone has experience with those tires.

As for cars, I think people can't drive properly on snow because nobody actually learn how a car behaves and how to work with it instead of against it. I use a small automatic fwd Toyota matrix, it has no electronic assistance whatsoever and since I started practicing different maneuvers I have had no issue.
I even managed to drive up steep streets while people in big awd suv's were abandoning.

I know it's not what I asked but our province has a winter tire law so a side benefit would be going on a ride when roads are not covered in snow/ice which happens at times.

Anyway, in any case there will still be another problem... ... it's Canada after all!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
- Not have to leave 1h before usually do because maybe the bus will: not show, get stuck in traffic, etc...

I expect the ninja to be a bit heavy but I don't think it would be too much of a problem if the tires have good grip.
I had to drive back from my dealership after a snowstorm (around November) that had not fully melted and it was quite a fight to keep it upright on patches of melting snow/ice but not impossible! (And this was with my Michelin Power Pilot, not a winter tire)

Well the plan is not to go straight to the busiest street with full throttle, if I find it too dangerous then of course I will not do it!
But I don't think conditions should always dictate whether we can drive or not, if you know your limits you will know what you can and cannot do. Some people won't drive when it's raining or on some surfaces (gravel/sand) and it's fine but it does not automatically make if impossible / too risky! (I mean we wouldn't all be here if we were super risk-averse )

I realize how slippery snow/ice CAN be (I drove on melting snow/ice once & survived!), which is why I am asking if anyone has experience with those tires.

As for cars, I think people can't drive properly on snow because nobody actually learn how a car behaves and how to work with it instead of against it. I use a small automatic fwd Toyota matrix, it has no electronic assistance whatsoever and since I started practicing different maneuvers I have had no issue.
I even managed to drive up steep streets while people in big awd suv's were abandoning.

I know it's not what I asked but our province has a winter tire law so a side benefit would be going on a ride when roads are not covered in snow/ice which happens at times.

Anyway, in any case there will still be another problem... ... it's Canada after all!

What did Forest Gump say ? Stupid is as Stupid does !
Their is another ole saying ........... When all else fails ........ put head between legs and kiss AXX GOODBYE

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Well...

Lane splitting in the snow? Seriously? You would need to keep your wheels exactly in the tracks from the car in front of you, and changing lanes would be sketchy. The snow between the lanes would be a terrible place to put the cycle, not to mention the chances of hitting the cars beside you and that nobody would ever expect you to be there (on a cycle).

Have you every slid a 300 pound cycle? In snow you will certainly slide, and lose the front, at some point.

Conditions can dictate the amount of risk involved in driving or riding, and not everyone knows their limits (without exceeding them). There are times where most rational people will determine the risk does not justify the reward.

I'd suggest riding a dirt bike in the snow to see exactly what you are dealing with before jumping on the Ninja - "snow tires" or not.
JayWuh and MAL like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Veteran

My suggestion We just stop discussing this posting any further as it is just plain nonsense and we are all just wasting our time.
JayWuh and jkv45 like this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:34 AM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
My suggestion We just stop discussing this posting any further as it is just plain nonsense and we are all just wasting our time.

Well, there is "some" value in putting on winter tires in this particular situation. Although I agree that it's nonsensical to ride in absolute snow conditions, in OP's case, there are laws that disallow ANY riding for the winter months.

I [partly] live in Northeast Pennsylvania and was able to ride in December 2017, January 2018 and February 2018 on days where it was sufficiently warm to do so. We have no Winter tires requirement, so there was no issue. In various locations there are Winter tire requirements by law, and if you are caught riding with tires without the little snow symbol (winter tires) you are likely to get a fine, and as severe as having your bike impounded.

In such cases I'd probably also put on Winter tires in Winter, simply so I could ride when weather permitted to do so.

But yeah, to ride EVERY day for commuting in severe winter conditions with the Ninja 300 is a bit ridiculous.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
If you're going to ride in the winter every day get a bike that can do it every day.
As others have said get a cheap dirt bike.
Also remember in the cold, all that plastic will shatter if you drop it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50879409_10156443110983218_1286245905179082752_o.jpg (140.6 KB, 25 views)
MAL and jkv45 like this.

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@ichbinbier
Nice Ural you got there.
If I can one day afford to own multiple bikes I'd love to get one of those!
They look awesome and from what I saw on youtube they seem to handle mud/snow and other adverse terrain pretty well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
But yeah, to ride EVERY day for commuting in severe winter conditions with the Ninja 300 is a bit ridiculous.
Well my fault for this I guess, I expressed it poorly and we probably have different things in mind.
I see no point in further explaining and/or arguing as this was not the point of the topic anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page