Headlight Wiring Problem? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By randycastell

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Wiring Problem?

I tried to find something over this but did not succeed. I just bought a 2013 and though maybe the bulb was just bad. But when I replaced the bulb it didn't fix it. The left headlight is off when brights are off, but when brights are on the light turns on. Any solutions? Sorry for the noob question

Last edited by jrdawg88; 01-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Garage
On my 2017 N300, the low beam is the headlight on the left ONLY, the high beam is the headlight on the right ONLY This set-up is useful to me as I split lanes at speed because I use the dip switch to alternate hi-lo beams, effectively "winking" at cars before I slip past them. Alternating lights seems to catch driver's attention quite effectively. My 2018 CBR300r has the same set-up.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I live in Southern Indiana where lane splitting isn't legal, so I can't really relate to that. So is there a simple fix or am I going to have to fix the wiring?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
Its that way by design. I believe to prevent you from appearing to be a far away car (with the close proximity of two lights illuminating) instead of a close motorcycle.

With one light on its more obvious you are a motorcycle.

Many other bikes with dual headlights function the same way.

Project Bikes
The Following User Says Thank You to JayWuh For This Useful Post:
randycastell (01-09-2019)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWuh View Post
Its that way by design. I believe to prevent you from appearing to be a far away car (with the close proximity of two lights illuminating) instead of a close motorcycle.

With one light on its more obvious you are a motorcycle.

Many other bikes with dual headlights function the same way.

What he said.
Sorry I was unclear in my last post. Thank you JayWuh for completing my thought. All is at it should be... :- )
JayWuh likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWuh View Post
I really doubt that. Taking perspective into account, it's pretty unlikely to make that confusion (not impossible, of course). The single headlight would much sooner be confused with a vehicle with one headlight out, so there's little to gain. Rather, by all accounts the "one headlight off" is a euro or asian styling choice. I've never met anyone who actually preferred it, but apparently that's the official reason I've seen touted around. And considering that new models like the Ninja 400 no longer have the "cyclops look", it seems like it's finally(!!!) loosing traction. Good riddance.

To the OP, the only way to fix it correctly is with a project retrofit, and that isn't for the faint of heart. Learn to live with it is the best advice anyone can give regarding the OEM headlight. Second best is a halogen bulb upgrade, but that doesn't really fix the one-eyed problem.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:50 PM
Veteran

NINJA 1000s got rid of the cyclops look on the 2017 model. Maybe it'll eventually trickle down to the 300.

2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT "Sheldon"
2015 NINJA 1000 ABS ('Tis better to have loved and lost..)
2008 NINJA 250R (First NINJA love!)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
I really doubt that. Taking perspective into account, it's pretty unlikely to make that confusion (not impossible, of course).
I have seen people make this mistake many times. They even mention it in safety courses. Either way whether that was the intention or not, it still solves the issue.

Project Bikes
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZININJA View Post
NINJA 1000s got rid of the cyclops look on the 2017 model. Maybe it'll eventually trickle down to the 300.
Effectively, it already did. The Ninja 400 is the Ninja 300's successor (no new N300 on the horizon). The Ninja 400 has dual LED headlights and both sides light up for the lowbeam.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM

I bought some street fighter style lights and fit them to my bike to get rid of the one eyed look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4041B9B5-FC42-422E-A186-7FD21123E161_1562544246663.jpg (146.8 KB, 2 views)

Tags
electric, headlight, wire, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page