Tires SOS - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Tires SOS

Hey guys,

I am nearing the end of my rear tire lifespan... I have about one season left with it and am therefore shopping around for a new one. The standard rear tire size is 140/70-17 but I am hearing some people say I can go up a size or so to 150/70 or even 160/60. Ideally I would not want to alter the power or the speedometer of the bike. What do you guys suggest? What are your tips to buying new tires?

Also, if you know any good websites to purchase tires from, please share! Note that I am purchasing from Canada and would prefer Canadian websites.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
As to where, I typically end up finding the bestest price and selection on Ebay . And I'm talking about new and from reputable vendors. The competition there is brutal so prices are either equal or lower than anywhere else. Especially if you take advantage of CouponCabin and Ebay bucks.

haha saying your from Canada already makes me think of Ryan from Fort Nine. It feels like you guys just have one motorcycle store from here.

As far as sizes goes, I did the 120-70 in the front and 150-60 in the back. Handling is best in stock sizes, but the aesthetics of a large tire are nice and going a size up just for aesthetics is nothing to be embarrassed about. Just don't tell yourself it's for any other reason.

Regarding speedometer, ratios, etc; if you have to ask about what it will change, you probably wouldn't be sensitive enough to notice any differences due to size (you wouldn't know if it was the shape, size, compound etc). By that I mean the differences are subtle to the vast majority of people who only change tires once a year, and not once every few laps or weeks. Basically I'm saying narrow down tires with good reviews, decide what you wanna pay, decide if you want to go stock or size up for aesthetics, and then pick whatever you like best.

For anything else, search the forum first. This subject has been beat to death already. At the end of the day it's simply a matter of personal opinion.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I prefer the stock sizing for quicker turn In. I think my race bike uses a 150/60. If you want a fat rear tire, get a liter bike.

Racing AFM #725
Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:

|
| Armour Bodies |
|
|
| Forcefield Armor |
|
| Incipio/Incase |
|
| Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. |
|
|

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran

Garage
Last tire I ordered (for my Honda) was through FortNine (before they became FortNine). No hassles, quick shipping, no complaints from me at all.
I would stick with stock sizes unless you were specifically looking to change something that you knew a different size would make happen. From what I hear (haven't looked into Ninja tires yet) there's a bit of a limited selection in stock sizes. You can still get a pretty good variety of tires, but if you are already looking at a specific make/model of tire, it may not come small enough. Sizing up will have a (minor) effect on handling and may make the bike feel lazy in the turns.

2012 Honda NC700SA
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
I prefer the stock sizing for quicker turn In. I think my race bike uses a 150/60. If you want a fat rear tire, get a liter bike.
Liter bike?! Why stay with the puny tire sizes of a liter bike when you can go with a beefier tire like those on a ducati diavel?
Gawernator likes this.

Riding it like I financed it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Liter bike?! Why stay with the puny tire sizes of a liter bike when you can go with a beefier tire like those on a ducati diavel?
Or what about building a custom bike with a "can't-turn-for-crap" wiiiiiide tire on the back? Why settle for less?! (I have seen a few of these kicking around downtown here every summer and the looks of it makes me want to puke, not to mention they seem to struggle with even the easiest of corners.)

2012 Honda NC700SA
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Why do that? Just get a busa with a 300 wide rear tire.

2015 Ninja 300 SE
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
C'mon girls, behave!

To each his own. The only preference that isn't allowed on this site as far as I am concerned are super stretched swingarms. I think we can all agree that looks ridiculous. Besides that, anything goes

I really wonder if someone is going to tell me they like the idea of stretched swingarms now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Exactly, your race bike. I'd dare say that most users, the OP included, don't have a separate race bike. The average user isn't going to notice a "quicker turn in", and in things that matter (like not getting into an accident, traction, and brake stopping length) most users wouldn't notice, care about, or take advantage of the difference. I'm sure you're the type of person that agrees that a Ninja 300 is probably faster than what the majority of normal riders can push it, so given that that's already the case, I see no harm in going one size up simply cause you prefer it over a 110 in the front or 140 in the back.
IronWarrior likes this.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!

Last edited by Gables_Ninja; 04-28-2017 at 04:40 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 PM

As far as answering the original question, my plan is go with stock size front and 150/60 rear Bridgestone Battlax Hypersports. Couple guys at work have used them, and have had nothing but good things to say about them.
Gawernator likes this.

2015 Ninja 300 SE
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxDfns15 View Post
As far as answering the original question, my plan is go with stock size front and 150/60 rear Bridgestone Battlax Hypersports. Couple guys at work have used them, and have had nothing but good things to say about them.
This is useful! Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page