Is your Ninja 300 more expensive to maintain than a car? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 03:34 AM
Post Whore

I used Boxster brakes when I decided to do a BBK on my old GTI. It was the least expensive option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Vet

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Windshield on my car cracked and needs replacing and that will be super expensive.
I think most insurance company's cover cracked windshields its either free or a 50 dollar deductible
Love Mazda's that's what I have also.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Garage
I've found maintenance on the bike to be cheaper than on my car. However, a wise man once said to me, "whoever thinks motorcycles and the hobby of motorcycling is cheap is in for a rude awakening". I agree with some of what OP said. Gear isn't cheap. Tires for the bike are more expensive for me than they are for my car because on the car I can go with used tires and on the bike I wouldn't do that. I can plug a car tire without too much worry, bike tires not so much. Fuel economy for me is better on the bike, but not the numbers I've seen posted on this forum. As to reggae's point, I can do most of the work on my car myself, but on the bike I haven't experimented too much aside from oil changes and some other miscellaneous projects.

Proud Owner of a 2013 Ninja 300
Mods: Yoshimura Full Exhaust, PCV, K&N Air Filter, Yoshimura swingarm spools, Yoshimura fender delete, Oggy Knobs Frame Sliders

Cage - 2008 Honda Civic

"What's the difference between a pickpocket and a peeping tom? A picpocket snatches watches, a peeping tom watches sna..."
-Redd Foxx
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Vet

Not in my case, I have a 2000 F-150 4X4 with a 5.4L engine.... get about 16mpg, it has a 25 gal. tank. I spend more in gas in a year than the blue book price of the ninja (2013). I'm due 4 new tires on the truck, gonna cost about $900, and that's the cheap tires. I recently replaced the radiator, altenator, idle control valve and all the vacuum lines. Next up... the coils (8 of them) and plugs, that will be another couple hundred bucks. All I have to say.... I will not complain about the amount I spend on my bike, I enjoy it more than riding in my truck But I have to have the truck.... I use it to haul stuff and tow stuff, so it stays (unless money is tight). The Ninja? I HAVE to have it to keep my soul balanced and to sooth my mind. If it comes down to it, i'll RENT a truck to do stuff The Ninja STAYS!

2013 Kawasaki 300 Ninja
2002 Suzuki LS650 Savage
2003 Suzuki LS650 Savage
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I ride a lot and my Ninja 300 is my daily commuter, I put 26,000km/year (approx 16,250 miles/year) and I found that my bike is so expensive to maintain.

Tires, oils, chain, sprockets, valves, shocks, bearings, brake rotors, brake pads, filters, etc.
and helmets and riding gears get old so I had to replace them.

all these things add up really quickly and it's much more expensive than Corolla or Civic.

And Ninja 300 is considered to be one of the cheapest bike you can buy in terms of maintenance.
I can't imagine how much people are paying for Hayabusa, R1, Panigale, etc.
Excellent question, in my case I had a 2007 Hyundai Sonata which I got rid of in favor of a 2016 Ninja 300. In the short overlap where I owned both vehicles I found the following: the ninja needed more frequent maintenance trips but the trips where 5* cheaper, $167 in San Jose California for the Ninja compared to ~$800 for the Hyundai, unless you need tires. As a daily commuter and weekend fun toy, I was taking the bike in for servicing about once a quarter, having a decade old car I was getting that serviced about once a year so the ninja saved ~$100. Ninja parts wore out more quickly but they cost about 90% less. In addition to this the Hyundai got ~30mpg, good for a car, the Ninja, which I got as a commuter and 'rode like an old lady' (direct quote from my brother), got ~60mpg. Having said that, I also used the bike as a weekend fun toy and rode much hard, something I never did with the car, we'll call the gasoline a wash. As a new rider insurance was about the same, however, California registration was less than half for the bike and as a green vehicle I gained free access to HOV/toll lanes (easily saved $500 a year). Since California, might be an anomaly, although many other states are following suit, we can ignore that. One thing I won't ignore is the cost of repairs. My girlfriend who is both an inexperienced rider and inexperienced driver managed to drive my car into pole and drop the bike. Luckily the pole only damaged the cars fender, unluckily I can't repair a car's fender. What I can do is replace a bikes fairings, thanks to some good advice from our friend CycleCruzer, I had already swapped out my OEM fairings for a $400 pair of Chinese fairings, cost of repairing the body damage to the car $1700. Cost to repair the bike, a Saturday afternoon buffing out cheap aftermarket fairings. Even if I had to replace the fairings I just checked on bike bandit and an entire set of new fairings is $1000, I don't even want to think about how expensive it would be to redo the entire cars body!

Bottom Line: If you compare a $4000 car to a $4000 bike (sold the car for about $4000 bought the bike for about $4000) and you ride a lot there is a very small chance it might be a wash. However, when something goes wrong on a car it's orders of magnitude more expensive, if you have a $4000 car something IS going to go wrong.

Comparing new to new: The best deal I have seen anyone get on a brand new car is $15,000+taxes and fees, and that was NOT this decade. Even if you buy a ninja300 at MSRP, after taxes and fees you're still looking at less than $6000. That's a minimum savings of $9000. If you have to pay $200 to service your bike AND you service your bike 4 times a year, it's going to take you 11.25 years to spend $9000 servicing your bike.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I ride a lot and my Ninja 300 is my daily commuter, I put 26,000km/year (approx 16,250 miles/year) and I found that my bike is so expensive to maintain.

Tires, oils, chain, sprockets, valves, shocks, bearings, brake rotors, brake pads, filters, etc.
and helmets and riding gears get old so I had to replace them.

all these things add up really quickly and it's much more expensive than Corolla or Civic.

And Ninja 300 is considered to be one of the cheapest bike you can buy in terms of maintenance.
I can't imagine how much people are paying for Hayabusa, R1, Panigale, etc.
Excellent question, in my case I had a 2007 Hyundai Sonata which I got rid of in favor of a 2016 Ninja 300. In the short overlap where I owned both vehicles I found the following: the ninja needed more frequent maintenance trips but the trips where 5* cheaper, $167 in San Jose California for the Ninja compared to ~$800 for the Hyundai, unless you need tires. As a daily commuter and weekend fun toy, I was taking the bike in for servicing about once a quarter, having a decade old car I was getting that serviced about once a year so the ninja saved ~$100. Ninja parts wore out more quickly but they cost about 90% less. In addition to this the Hyundai got ~30mpg, good for a car, the Ninja, which I got as a commuter and 'rode like an old lady' (direct quote from my brother), got ~60mpg. Having said that, I also used the bike as a weekend fun toy and rode much hard, something I never did with the car, we'll call the gasoline a wash. As a new rider insurance was about the same, however, California registration was less than half for the bike and as a green vehicle I gained free access to HOV/toll lanes (easily saved $500 a year). Since California, might be an anomaly, although many other states are following suit, we can ignore that. One thing I won't ignore is the cost of repairs. My girlfriend who is both an inexperienced rider and inexperienced driver managed to drive my car into pole and drop the bike. Luckily the pole only damaged the cars fender, unluckily I can't repair a car's fender. What I can do is replace a bikes fairings, thanks to some good advice from our friend CycleCruzer, I had already swapped out my OEM fairings for a $400 pair of Chinese fairings, cost of repairing the body damage to the car $1700. Cost to repair the bike, a Saturday afternoon buffing out cheap aftermarket fairings. Even if I had to replace the fairings I just checked on bike bandit and an entire set of new fairings is $1000, I don't even want to think about how expensive it would be to redo the entire cars body!

Bottom Line: If you compare a $4000 car to a $4000 bike (sold the car for about $4000 bought the bike for about $4000) and you ride a lot there is a very small chance it might be a wash. However, when something goes wrong on a car it's orders of magnitude more expensive, if you have a $4000 car something IS going to go wrong.

Comparing new to new: The best deal I have seen anyone get on a brand new car is $15,000+taxes and fees, and that was NOT this decade. Even if you buy a ninja300 at MSRP, after taxes and fees you're still looking at less than $6000. That's a minimum savings of $9000. If you have to pay $200 to service your bike AND you service your bike 4 times a year, it's going to take you 11.25 years to spend $9000 servicing your bike.

...how much people are paying for Hayabusa, R1, Panigale: Much, much less than owners of Lexus, Porche and Feraris
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:36 PM
MAL
Veteran

Interesting (but old) discussion.
Don't think it really can be compared easily. Too many variables.

I think what's killing the current vehicle, car, motorcycle maintenance costs these days is taking it to "the dealer".
They charge up to around $100/hour labor, and the parts are overcharged, and then they add little things like consumables that add up quickly.

In the end, a brake job that if done yourself with cheaply sourced parts costs $200, vs. $800+ taking it to the dealer (or stealer as some like to call them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattheal View Post
Just for reference, we bought a Daewoo Nubira CDX station wagon when Daewoo was already bankrupt (assets eventually acquired by Chevrolet) back in 2001 for US$9'780.00 brand new.

And the thing is still going (!!!), BUT it now is only worth fixing if I can do it myself and cheaply. Just changed the camshaft positioning sensor (as it wouldn't start), which cost ~US$8.00 off Amazon!
Once any major issue arises with transmission or engine, it will sadly go to the wreckers...

Last edited by MAL; 08-07-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 PM
Veteran

Personally, I have a Corvette and a 124 Fiat Spider. My wife has a Honda Accord and a Hyundai Tucson.

Do you really think a Ninja 300 is more expensive to maintain than the above mentioned vehicles.

NOT

But as somebody previously stated, it all depends on who is maintaining your vehicles. If you can do some of the work yourself, you will drastically cut maintenance costs. Also, if you can find a decent repair shop, besides a name brand dealer, you may be able to save costs there.

Example given, is Chevrolet dealership wanted over $600.00 to replace AC compressor on Trail Blazer I once owned. Found an AC shop that did the same work with same parts for $250.00 .

First Hyundai Tucson my wife owned had an electrical problem. Dealer wanted $700.00 to replace circuit board. Had the circuit board REPAIRED else where for $90.00 .

On the same Tucson, dealership stated that it looked like their was a coolant leak and water pump needed replacing. I asked .......... did you not just drain flush and refill coolant system ????? And perhaps your service technician spilled a little fluid ????? Well guess what ??? Nooooooooooooo water pump was leaking. Only thing leaking was Service Managers mouth with lies coming out of it.

Needless to say, I don't trust anybody that works on my vehicles and question everything they say requires repair.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM

This is kind of like asking if its colder in the winter or in the mountains. There isn't enough information to give a good answer.
That being said the 300 is an inexpensive and reliable bike. Only an inexpensive and reliable car has a chance at being cheaper.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
This is kind of like asking if its colder in the winter or in the mountains. There isn't enough information to give a good answer.
That being said the 300 is an inexpensive and reliable bike. Only an inexpensive and reliable car has a chance at being cheaper.

Its like everything else that you purchase. Get a good reliable one and its less costly to maintain. Purchase a " LEMON " and all you will be doing is paying to maintain it.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page