Yoshimura frame slider fail? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Exclamation Yoshimura frame slider fail?

ok I'm kinda pissed.
I laid my bike today and I wasn't even going that fast, like less than 20mph?

Anyways, everything was installed properly, the frame slider bracket is still attached. Nothing came off, nothing loose. But the bracket BENT! Looks like it couldn't handle the weight of bike.

Now I have to replace the fairings, the entire frame slider kit, handle bar, bar end, brake lever, etc.
The reason why I bought a frame sliders is because I was hoping that all I would need to replace is the slider puck and that's it. Instead of replacing everything.

I know frame sliders won't protect everything and you might have some minor damages here and there, but I am kind of disappointed with this slider. I was not expecting this from Yoshimura...the bracket needs more rigidity.
Is this common or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150628_065208.jpg (227.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg 20150628_064828.jpg (201.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 20150628_064841.jpg (141.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 20150628_064915.jpg (143.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20150628_064930.jpg (177.6 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by Timpo; 06-28-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

If you look at this guy's channel, people crash at much higher speed and the frame sliders usually hold up fine. https://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse/videos
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran

Garage
Frame sliders are a gamble. They should save a drop but if the bike goes down while moving, anything could happen. Usually a bent frame slider hit a solid object like a curb or pothole causing the full force of the bikes momentum to be focused on a single point. If the slider was able to "slide" on a consistent surface without an abrupt change in direction (immovable object) then in theory they would withstand the crash and save the bike from additional damage.

Xeon

2014 Ninja 300 SE
Mods: Michelin Pilot Sport (stock sizes), Yoshimura R77 Full Carbon system, Power Commander 5, K&N Air Filter, Yohsimura FE, Yoshimura Frame Sliders, SW-Motech Mirror Wideners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Vet

Frame sliders aren't the protection everyone wishes they were. I used to use them myself until I learned this.
XxBeerTimexX likes this.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Action shots [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
] [
]
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Post Whore

Garage
Look at the woodcraft frame sliders. They don't protect your bike cosmetically however since they go under the fairings they won't rip through the fairings or bend. It does its job and protects the frame of the bike.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran

I have seen posts in the past about the yoshimura sliders failing unfortunately. Mostly they are to protect the engine and frame but I think yoshi's may be a bad choice based on what I have read.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
If you look at this guy's channel, people crash at much higher speed and the frame sliders usually hold up fine. https://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse/videos
Thanks for youtube link advice
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinhoss View Post
Look at the woodcraft frame sliders. They don't protect your bike cosmetically however since they go under the fairings they won't rip through the fairings or bend. It does its job and protects the frame of the bike.
hmm.. ok so looks like Ninja 300 sliders does have propensity to bend. Not just Yoshimura..

I just found a quote from Woodcraft.

Check out this forum: https://www.kawasakininja300.com/foru...e-sliders.html

"Kyle,

Thanks for the email.....I'm happy to explain.

Bikes with narrow engines like the Ninja 300 (and Ducati's, and several Triumphs) have a particular challenge with frame sliders in that it is a long reach to get outside the bodywork. This long reach gives obstacles a lot of leverage to bend the slider and cause damage. To combat this, we made "under the bodywork" sliders for Ducati's several years ago, and I have raced on them for years. After crashing on them a few times I confirmed my initial thoughts on this design, and that was that while they did not protect the fairings from being scratched in a fall (no sliders can ever do this in any kind of real crash anyway), they did a great job of protecting the engine cases and other critical parts like the radiators, etc.... As a big side benefit, the fairing gets "trapped" between the slider and the ground in a fall. This actually does a fantastic job to keep the fairing intact during a crash. I had a fall at over 140mph on my Ducati during which the bike hit airfence, a wall (backwards) and then slid down the asphalt to a stop. The bodywork had worn a 2 inch hole (the diameter of the puck) in it, but other than that was 100% usable. This saved a lot of money and time for me. I mounted this bodywork on my backup bike and raced it an hour later.

The reason we show the sliders without the bodywork is that with the fairings on, they cannot be seen. They sit right behind the bodywork and the puck makes light contact with the inside of the fairing. I can tell you that we are putting together a Ninja 300 for the track this season and we will have these pucks on there for sure.

I hope this helps you decide if these are for you.

Thanks,

Eric Wood
President"
XxBeerTimexX and ArizonaSpeed like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Timpo For This Useful Post:
XxBeerTimexX (11-16-2015)
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Post Whore

Garage
I saw that email a while back and that helped me make my decision to go with Woodcraft.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Veteran

Garage
I think the focus should be that they are "frame" sliders. they are not meant to protect the body work or fairings. they are meant to protect the frame and engine in some cases. plastic is cheap, but if you damage the frame the bike could be considered totaled.
XxBeerTimexX and g3min1 like this.

2014 Ninja 300 ABS (Ebony)
2010 Ninja 250 SE (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page