Electronic Folding Mirrors - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Electronic Folding Mirrors

I am in the process of developing folding mirrors for my bike. I am doing this because I can lane split and filter like a champion on this bike with them folded in.

Just wondering if this technology exists otherwise I will prototype it and crowdfund it... Anyone keen?

Last edited by lextsy; 04-24-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Forum Champion

Send a message via AIM to Muilisx
Welcome,

Please fill in your location details via the User CP.

©•Muilisx•©

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Post Whore

How about stop being so lazy to take 3 seconds to pull them in yourself? Unless you sell this device for $20, I doubt there would be any interest. For most riders, how often do we have to pull in the mirrors? Once a day for me when I park the bike in the garage. But it literally takes 3 seconds to fold both mirrors.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Lane split like a champion with the mirrors folded in? A good rider can lane split like a champion with the mirrors not folded in.

1. The mirrors are there to help you ride safer and be more aware of your surroundings.
2. Since you're lane splitting, the mirrors will help you know if another rider is behind you that wants to pass.
3. How close are you cutting it with other cars that you need to fold the mirrors in? If the cars are so close that you feel you need to fold the mirrors in, perhaps you shouldn't be lane splitting?

I have a 90 mile, round trip, commute for work, 5 days a week. Approximately 50 of those miles are lane splitting. I've currently got 9K on the odometer and I've never had an issue 'lane splitting like a champion' with the mirrors folded out.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 04-24-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I guess no electric folding mirrors then.. I have developed it using a few wires and a small electric motor costing about 18$ all up Happy to share the prototype if anyone is interested..

I am sorry if my thread made a few of you come across so aggressively..
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

User CP has been filled in. Apologies. For the other 2 members who decided to use agression and try to insult me for coming up with an idea like this obviously it is important to me. In Sydney we do have lanes which arent that wide and pulling the mirrors in really helps with cutting through the traffic.

I dont understand why I offended you guys so much for you to belittle me for coming up with such an idea... I wish I could ride 90 miles without having to fold in my mirrors.. Where i come from its important to me, hence the thread..

It would be really nice if you could show some empathy and not be such a d**k about someone trying to offer a suggestion about helping the community.. You definitely make it feel like n00bs are not welcome here because you are so right all the time?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran

I personally think it's a good idea. There are situations where it's inconvenient and even dangerous to stop to pull in your mirrors. keep at it! Hope it works out, and sorry for the way you were treated, that didn't seem called for. Most people here are very open to ideas, even if they don't agree with them. Don't let that sour you from this great forum.

2014 300 SE ABS Lime Green- totaled
2014 300 Ebony Abs- Full Yoshimura R-77 exhaust, Area P EFI Tuner.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
How about stop being so lazy to take 3 seconds to pull them in yourself? Unless you sell this device for $20, I doubt there would be any interest. For most riders, how often do we have to pull in the mirrors? Once a day for me when I park the bike in the garage. But it literally takes 3 seconds to fold both mirrors.
No need to be a douche bag. He obviously meant that he would like to be able to fold them while riding at the push of a button so he doesn't have to do it manually, e.g. Riding through traffic spots.

Push a button mirrors fold in, ride through traffic, push a button mirrors fold back out. I hope it makes more sense now that someone held your hand through it.

OP- don't be discouraged. Some people are just thick
The Following User Says Thank You to Hijinks For This Useful Post:
ShadowAce (04-24-2015)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Seriously, how many of you would ride for miles without any mirrors through traffic? When I ride, I check my mirrors every little bit to ensure that some idiot isn't going to plow into me, especially at stop lights. Safety should always come first. If traffic is so friggin' tight that you have to pull in your mirrors, you shouldn't be lane splitting!

Is this seriously the type of mod we should be advocating on the boards? Especially for new riders? I dare any of you that think that this is a good idea to go and ask an MSF instructor or Police Officer what they think about this idea and report back.

This idea does not improve riding, it can only make things worse and we should harshly criticize ideas like this to help people understand the gravity of making poor decisions with it comes to motorcycle safety. This is why I was utterly unimpressed with this idea. It wasn't to belittle the OP, it was to showcase that safety comes first, not second when it comes to modding your bike.

Imagine if the motor breaks while riding and you can't use your mirrors at all, then what? Better leave it as is and improve your riding skills and awareness of your surroundings and plan for that.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 04-24-2015 at 02:44 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM

Could even rewire the pass switch to toggle them

Bike - 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE Green/Black
Car - 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page