Too Tall For Ninja 300? Advice Please - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Too Tall For Ninja 300? Advice Please

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm really considering buying a Ninja 300 next spring (saving up right now) or my first motorcycle at least! I've never rode a motorcycle before, but I have had 2 scooters (both used Chinese pieces of junk, still fun though, but I wouldn't recommend). The first was a simple, light 150cc, and the 2nd was a pretty big, heavy, touring style 250cc. I'm ready for an upgrade come this spring, and the Ninja 300 is my dream!!

However, I have some concerns. My biggest concern is my height. From what I have read about the 300 I am probably too tall for it. I'm 6'2". Is that too tall for the bike? My biggest worry is the high position of the pegs. I don't want to buy a bike that I will be uncomfortable on. Are any of you Ninja owners here 6ft and above? I'd love some feedback and personal experiences.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM

my friend who is 6 hopped on top of my GFs 300, and he looked comfortable on the bike sitting there as in slight bend in the knees and both feet flat - but he's also a light 6' @ 180 lbs so he wasn't stressing out the shock.

I don't know a beginner sport bike that is going to be much taller than the ninja 300 and most of the 600cc (not a beginner bike) aren't going to be much taller, but will be monumentally more powerful and less forgiving to ride

As a bonus, the good thing is that you will be able to go to a more meaty tire (taller and wider profile), and you will be able to adjust the rear ride height more (this is a good thing as opposed to lowering it) for better handling!

As far as the pegs, you don't want the pegs to be any lower, for me at stock height I can already grind the pegs on onramps and off ramps - if anything you will want to raise the foot control height (up and back). Btw, racing motorcycles is one of those activities that doesn't favor the tall - but the benefit for you tall bastards is that you can drag knee a lot easier!!!

Have you looked into the CBR500R to see if that's a better fit?
The Following User Says Thank You to gptoyz For This Useful Post:
Zarslanian (08-14-2014)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Garage
6'4" here. I find the 300 comfortable to ride. (In my first full season this year, but started out on a cbr 125 :/) now I don't have the experience to say I can ride the 300 "properly" as I do rub my elbows on my knees if I tuck in. So I don't feel any real confidence in cornering. But I'm also still learning at the same time. I don't find it uncomfortable until I've been riding non stop for a couple hours. And I don't attribute the discomfort to the bike because I get a sore back on the regular. That being said the 300 is great on the wallet and with aftermarket parts I'm sure this bike can be just as comfortable as a 600 would be. Or damn close. (Bear in mind I've not actually sat on one :/) all in all no. Your not too tall. Try sitting on one at a dealership even. Nothing beats first hand knowledge right. Good luck in any case.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1. Ride Smart
2. Ride Safe
The Following User Says Thank You to Insurgentfriend1 For This Useful Post:
Zarslanian (08-14-2014)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Garage
I'm 6'1 175 and I feel fine on the 300. Knees are bent a little, but I don't find it to be uncomfortable at all. Finding one to sit on is your best bet to see if it "fits" you.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXTDO14 For This Useful Post:
Zarslanian (08-14-2014)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insurgentfriend1 View Post
6'4" here. I find the 300 comfortable to ride. (In my first full season this year, but started out on a cbr 125 :/) now I don't have the experience to say I can ride the 300 "properly" as I do rub my elbows on my knees if I tuck in. So I don't feel any real confidence in cornering. But I'm also still learning at the same time. I don't find it uncomfortable until I've been riding non stop for a couple hours. And I don't attribute the discomfort to the bike because I get a sore back on the regular. That being said the 300 is great on the wallet and with aftermarket parts I'm sure this bike can be just as comfortable as a 600 would be. Or damn close. (Bear in mind I've not actually sat on one :/) all in all no. Your not too tall. Try sitting on one at a dealership even. Nothing beats first hand knowledge right. Good luck in any case.

This is really good to hear. I just am worried I could cramp up on it or something.. FYI I am 6'2" 195lbs. I also should look into the CBR 500r, but I like the Ninja so much more!! The CBR500r would be faster though... not sure what I'll do! But I do like the looks of the Ninja a lot more, slipper clutch, etc. and I'm not a huge Honda motorcycle fan, I know they're good, I just don't like them a ton.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll definitely have to sit on one. There's a Kawi dealership not too far away from me, and I've looked at a Ninja there a lot, just never sat on it cause they're pretty strict about that stuff and I'm not ready to buy. Plus, I'm only 20 so my friend and I get a lot of dirty looks whenever we go into dealerships/bike shops haha. I feel judged at least.

My best friend has an R6, I'm just not into a more powerful bike like that. I'd much rather have a nice, super light 300 or a slightly heavier 500. My scooter I'm coming from (a 250) is believe it or not, almost 700 pounds!! I have no idea how..

If Kawasaki still made the 500 I'd be interested in it.. I still like the older ones, but I'd much rather have a newer, much more modern looking 300. Thanks for all your help guys.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran

I would imagine like many said before you should obviously get on one and feel. It seems like for the most part taller riders feel ok on them. You may look a little big on them but that doesn't mean it's not comfortable to you

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Garage
I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and I fit on it fine. I would however invest in some clip-ons. I myself am planning to upsize due to those extras that come standard (as well as a little extra "zoom" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmike View Post
Lighten up Francis. It's a beginner motorcycle forum not a novel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffshifter View Post
I ride like an idiot whenever possible.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran

... I wish I had this problem. At least if you upgrade to bigger bikes, you're tall enough to ride them! I was going to try to ride a cbr1000 buuut... My height kept me from it. I'm literally just touching the big toes to the ground. You all would have no prob

~Wendy~
The Following User Says Thank You to wendy For This Useful Post:
Insurgentfriend1 (08-15-2014)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 AM

The question should really be what is your inseam? As that will affect you more than total height. I'm somewhere between 6' 3-4" with a 34" inseam.

It's damn tight. But I fit. Just. The only issue is that my legs are a touch too long to really fit the grooves of the tank when I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. I can ride twisties all day long, but the highway gets damn uncomfortable fairly quickly - although that's probably more to do with the hardware in my femur from the winter.

1977 Honda XL125
2000 Subaru Impreza RS Coupe
2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page