The cornering speed on the 300 is so nice. - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The cornering speed on the 300 is so nice.

Had a group ride with the homies in Northern AZ this past weekend, got to do some canyon shredding, drone footage, picture and video shooting, and scrape up some knee pads.

I was the only one on a 300 size bike, and the only guy with a parallel twin out there actually. Literally everyone else was inline 4 sport bikes. But it feels great to not just keep up with the pack, but be in the leading group.

People really do overlook bikes like the 300 when getting into riding, its such a great tool to start with and work your way up. I bought mine almost a year ago to this day, and have since slammed well over 20,000 miles on it, taken it to the track, gotten my knees down, experienced the limits you need to experience to improve, and its treated me so well.

Makes me feel good to surprise the guys in my group at how quick it can be. My friend's friend posted some clips of the flybys. If you watch closely, there's a few passes of me on my white 300 with a white helmet. Should be able to find me, the only one that goes by without a roar.

Hope you guys are getting the most out of your 300 and other bikes this late into the season.
Cheers guys.
-Mike
Topaz and voldotaki like this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Veteran

You're so right! Although I don't have the skill set (or leathers with pucks) to drag knees, I find that I can carry the same speed in the corners on my N300 that I did on my N1K. And that's where the REAL fun is!!! Sure, I miss the instant power and all the bike capabilities that go along with it, but I have really developed an appreciation for bike fit that gives me more confidence both on the street and maneuvering in parking spaces or the garage. And, given that it's 150 pounds lighter, the N300 is a lot easier to throw around. I am having an absolute ball on it without all the stress that went along with managing a liter bike.
voldotaki likes this.

2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT "Sheldon"
2015 NINJA 1000 ABS ('Tis better to have loved and lost..)
2008 NINJA 250R (First NINJA love!)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
Northern AZ is amazing. All the skill is in the corners. Up / down shifting, balance, timing etc. etc. Any monkey can twist full throttle on a straight.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah the rides here are out of this world. And theyre in great condition almost year round! Im so thankful for a great proving grounds, and it's actually relatively safe compared to a lot of other twisties I've been to, in and out of state. Nice wide roads, few cracks, not much traffic, passing lanes/zones, signs for hazards, its really awesome. I hope some of you guys get the chance to ride here if you can, its magical.

Bazininja yeah I can imagine. I rode a cbr600r once, and it felt really smooth, tracked really well, and did everything right, but I can imagine that on a 1000 those attributes can become more of a thing to manage than a nice side effect with the weight and power. One of the guys in my group here rides I think a GSX-R 1000, and he is a real good rider, he rides right behind me and he makes that thing WORK. Looks like a workout, but he makes it go for sure. I just cant imagine trying to do all this stuff on a 500lb bike haha.

Hoping to get a 2020 636 at the end of this year if my funds saving goes according to plan, but Im definitely keeping the n300 for backup/track and stuff.

-Mike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyMJ View Post

Bazininja yeah I can imagine. I rode a cbr600r once, and it felt really smooth, tracked really well, and did everything right, but I can imagine that on a 1000 those attributes can become more of a thing to manage than a nice side effect with the weight and power. One of the guys in my group here rides I think a GSX-R 1000, and he is a real good rider, he rides right behind me and he makes that thing WORK. Looks like a workout, but he makes it go for sure. I just cant imagine trying to do all this stuff on a 500lb bike haha.

Every bike deserves respect. But when you get into liter bikes, they demand even MORE respect from their riders. It's nothing to hit 100+ mph in a few seconds; some bikes can do that in first gear. You really have to watch yourself. It's easy for the speed to get away from you. And then you have to remember to allow more time and space to stop the thing.

Another problem that can happen is with a rider's attitude. There's something intoxicating about having all that power with a small twist of the wrist. It's REALLY COOL, but it can lead to taking risks beyond one's skills. I never did anything too stupid, but that was one of the reasons I opted to step away from liter bikes after I totaled my N1K, at least for awhile. It was a smart move. Some folks can't understand how I could possibly "step down". Well, I'm having a blast on my N300, minus the stress and attitude. Really, how can you develop an attitude on a bike that meets the specs for a training bike??

I have to admit that my ego was awfully bruised when I let that big bad bike go. To help me get over that, I had "3000" decals made for the 300; thus, I have the world's only NINJA 3000. It's amazing the kind of mods you can make to your bike when your riding buddies own a graphics shop! It wasn't until my trip to the Dragon that I finally fell in love with my N300. So now I like to say that it has a 300 engine with a 3000 attitude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2620594.jpg (274.5 KB, 9 views)
Topaz and SparkyMJ like this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZININJA View Post
I have to admit that my ego was awfully bruised when I let that big bad bike go. To help me get over that, I had "3000" decals made for the 300;
Based on your idea, I might see if I can get "300.0" decals made. Just make sure the decimal point is hard to see. That way, it's accurately showing the bike displacement (at least nominal displacement).

2012 Honda NC700SA
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Veteran

Might want to change that to 296.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Duuude thats a great idea haha! It's always nice how such little things can make the ride much more appreciable, even non performance based things. Glad you feel at home on the 300, it really is a blast.
Local guys over here were advertising decals for us bike guys in the area, I may have to hit them up as well! I've seen some pretty clever decals lately, might have to treat myself to a couple now, haha.

-Mike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyMJ View Post
Duuude thats a great idea haha! It's always nice how such little things can make the ride much more appreciable, even non performance based things. Glad you feel at home on the 300, it really is a blast.
Local guys over here were advertising decals for us bike guys in the area, I may have to hit them up as well! I've seen some pretty clever decals lately, might have to treat myself to a couple now, haha.

-Mike

This Dude-ette had a 2008 NINJA 250 Craigslist special. I LOVED IT!!! It had about 10K on the odo, a cracked fairing, a broken blinker, and the tires and rear brake pads were shot. I probably paid too much for it, but I REALLY wanted it--and the seller knew it. I never fixed the fairing, but I did fix the rest. The only mods I did to it were mirror extenders, rear spools, and a green crampbuster. I could only ride it when I didn't need to take my kid (We did a 15mph practice quick stop in my neighborhood which about threw him off. Right then and there, I decided NO PASSENGERS) and if I could fit stuff in the (huge) tank bag and under a cargo net on the rear seat. I could bang through the gears and feel like I was going a million miles per hour, then look down and see that I was doing a whopping 35. It was super easy to throw around and was an absolute BLAST!!! It's still in the "family", though; I sold it to a young man who's sort of my adopted son. It was the good memories I had of that bike which helped me decide on the N300. It made me feel 16 again!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lori's green NINJA!.jpg (219.0 KB, 12 views)
NoDoze, iahawk and SparkyMJ like this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Man, I can't imagine how crazy I'd have been if I had my N300 in high school when I was 16... haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page