Throttle body sync - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Throttle body sync

Planning on checking my tb sync
The book says you need a special extension fuel line and harness to get the tank out of the way. Can it be done without those?
Also I have carb sticks but not gauges with actual numbers on them. What gauges have others used?
Input is appreciated!
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

No one has synchronized their own throttle bodies??
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:09 PM
MAL
Veteran

What's the recommended service interval for that?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:00 AM

Throttle body sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
No one has synchronized their own throttle bodies??

I have... well, I tried.

You have can rest the back of the tank on the moto with the fuel line plugged and the front of the tank on a table or other sturdy surface next to the bike. No need for fuel line extension.

The part about checking the actual pressure is where Iím sure I did it wrong. I do not have a device to set my RPMs to what is specified in the manual (says not to trust the reading on the moto gauges) and when I hooked up two pressure gauges they were bouncing all over the place. I wasnít able to get a steady reading.

At the end I just eye-balled it on the center of where the dials were going back and forth for both of the TBs.

I hope at least the tank info is of some help. Please do share if you manage to find a good way to set the right RPM and get an accurate pressure reading!

Edit: I used the pressure gauges from harbor freight. Not sure if they are terrible or Iím just an idiot. Could be both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 AM
MAL
Veteran

Something tells me that most Ninja 300s go through their whole life without a throttle body sync.
(I hadn't even heard of such thing! )
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a tach that will work for this application. After evaluating the procedure it seems that the need for accurate rpm and accurate vacuum readings go hand in hand. Since the fi system is pretty primitive I'm sure it relies on those adjustments being within a specific range to have the correct mixture (especially at idle).
My theory is that as long as the throttle bodies are close to begin with they can be brought into sync with just carb sticks or and manometer (I'll probably use a manometer as its easier to see small differences)
The way to avoid vacuum gauges bouncing all over is to add restriction to the vacuum hoses. This smooths out the pulses coming from the intake runners.

I've found that (in carbureted engines. I don't see why this one would be any different) small changes in synchronization can make decent changes to part throttle vibration etc.

I will see how far apart mine are. If a small adjustment will bring them into sync I'll split the difference between the two adjusters and call it good. If they are way out I'll have to come up with something better.

Thanks for the input!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
Thanks for the replies. I dont have a tach that will work for this application. After evaluating the procedure it seems that the need for accurate rpm and accurate vacuum readings go hand in hand. Since the fi system is pretty primitive I'm sure it relies on those adjustments being within a specific range to have the correct mixture (especially at idle).
My theory is that as long as the throttle bodies are close to begin with they can be brought into sync with just carb sticks or and manometer (I'll probably use a manometer as its easier to see small differences)
The way to avoid vacuum gauges bouncing all over is to add restriction to the vacuum hoses. This smooths out the pulses coming from the intake runners.

I've found that (in carbureted engines. I don't see why this one would be any different) small changes in synchronization can make decent changes to part throttle vibration etc.

I will see how far apart mine are. If a small adjustment will bring them into sync I'll split the difference between the two adjusters and call it good. If they are way out I'll have to come up with something better.

Thanks for the input!

Keep us posted. Iíd like to know what works for you so that I can try next time Iím doing a major service.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page