2013 Ninja 300 Not cranking - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

2013 Ninja 300 Not cranking

Hello everyone. I am new to posting on the forum but have read a lot of posts here. My question for you is my ninja 300 died on me after leaving a traffic light and got into 4th gear. I was not racing or driving like a maniac. But as I went into 4th it started stuttering and I put it into 5th and kept stuttering. By the time I put it back into 4th and gave it gas, she shut off. I immediately pulled in the clutch and just coasted to a safe side on the road. Now, since it will not crank. The fuel pump primes, it rolls in neutral, I know the kickstand switch and neutral switch works because the fuel pump will not prime with the kickstand down nor will it if I have it in gear without the clutch pulled in. I was made aware from other posts that the oil light will come on due to it not being on and not having pressure but I do not see any oil in the glass. I’ve switched batteries with my Gsxr-750 and the same thing. With my knowledge of vehicles it seems to be an electrical issue. I’ve checked the fuses under the seat as well. Please help. She has been sitting there for two months now and it sucks seeing it just sit there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groland97 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to posting on the forum but have read a lot of posts here. My question for you is my ninja 300 died on me after leaving a traffic light and got into 4th gear. I was not racing or driving like a maniac. But as I went into 4th it started stuttering and I put it into 5th and kept stuttering. By the time I put it back into 4th and gave it gas, she shut off. I immediately pulled in the clutch and just coasted to a safe side on the road. Now, since it will not crank. The fuel pump primes, it rolls in neutral, I know the kickstand switch and neutral switch works because the fuel pump will not prime with the kickstand down nor will it if I have it in gear without the clutch pulled in. I was made aware from other posts that the oil light will come on due to it not being on and not having pressure but I do not see any oil in the glass. Iíve switched batteries with my Gsxr-750 and the same thing. With my knowledge of vehicles it seems to be an electrical issue. Iíve checked the fuses under the seat as well. Please help. She has been sitting there for two months now and it sucks seeing it just sit there.
Do you think it ran out of oil?

Remove the inspection cover on the left engine case and see if you can spin the engine over manually with a socket and ratchet.

Re-check the fuses and battery connections, as well as the battery voltage.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Do you think it ran out of oil?

Remove the inspection cover on the left engine case and see if you can spin the engine over manually with a socket and ratchet.

Re-check the fuses and battery connections, as well as the battery voltage.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response. I don’t think it did. I opened the oil cap and did not smell or see any smoke or burn. And don’t recall the oil light being on while it running.
I will do that this weekend. Will oil come from the inspection plate?

And also, do you think it could possibly be the stator?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groland97 View Post
Thank you for the response. I donít think it did. I opened the oil cap and did not smell or see any smoke or burn. And donít recall the oil light being on while it running.
I will do that this weekend. Will oil come from the inspection plate?

And also, do you think it could possibly be the stator?
Check the oil with the cycle balanced level to see if it's excessively low.

No amount of oil will come out of the cover.

I don't think it's the stator.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Stand the bike perfectly upright and you should see oil in the glass. If you don't see oil in the glass when the bike is standing straight up, then that's an issue.

Does the GSX-R start with either battery? If so, then it's not a bad battery.

One thought: have you checked the idle screw?

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

So I got it back to my house and haven’t tried anything but now when I turn it on to crank it, the fuel pump primes and all the lights come on(neutral and oil light). When I hit the start button, it makes a really harsh static sounding noise until I let go of the starter button. All the lights and speedometer shut off. But when I let go off the starter, the fuel pump primes again and everything comes back on. Any idea? And yes. This batter has cranked my Gsxr many times recently
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran

This is one of three things.
Either your starter doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over indicating an issue with it or the electrical path to it, there is a problem with the gears between the starter and engine or the engine is locked up.

You can check to see if the engine is locked up by removing the large inspection plug on the left side of the engine (use a quarter with a pair of pliers in the giant flathead screwdriver slot) and use a socket to carefully and slowly turn the nut in there counter clockwise. It should turn fairly easy if it's turned slowly. You'll feel resistance as a cylinder comes up on compression which is normal. If the engine is locked it won't turn at all (do this in neutral). Also check your oil level in the sight glass on the right with the bike upright.
The other most likely culprit is a bad connection in the path from the starter relay to the starter or at the battery.
If any of this sounds intimidating you might want to take it to a shop.
jkv45 likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. It doesn’t seem too intimidating as I am alittle mechanically inclines with vehicles. That’s a great idea with a quarter and pliers. I will test this and see if the engine turns. Hopefully it is not locked up as I just got this bike):
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran

No problem. Let me know how that goes and I can outline the next steps.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Veteran

I'd check the battery voltage as you are cranking before getting too carried away.

A fully charged battery reads 12.7V or slightly more. During cranking it should still read over 10V. It's possible the battery isn't fully charged or it's not as good as you think.

If the engine spins freely, I'd expect it to be an electrical connection issue if not the battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page