how to lift front tire to change brake pads? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By iahawk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question how to lift front tire to change brake pads?

i'm a very new rider and sorry if this is in the wrong section but basically i just bought a 2013 ninja 300ex and got my back brake pads done and while doing that i bought spools for the back so i can do most the work myself in the future. my mechanic showed me step by step when he did my back brake pads...very nice. so should i buy spools for the front and then buy the roll lifters that uses the spools? will i be able to use one lift for the front and back (obv not at the same time) or is there a better way of going about lifting the front so i can change the brake pads..? i'm also going to be getting new front and rear tires in the next 2-3 weeks... any and all advice would help. This is my first bike, thanks
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpalaniuk View Post
i'm a very new rider and sorry if this is in the wrong section but basically i just bought a 2013 ninja 300ex and got my back brake pads done and while doing that i bought spools for the back so i can do most the work myself in the future. my mechanic showed me step by step when he did my back brake pads...very nice. so should i buy spools for the front and then buy the roll lifters that uses the spools? will i be able to use one lift for the front and back (obv not at the same time) or is there a better way of going about lifting the front so i can change the brake pads..? i'm also going to be getting new front and rear tires in the next 2-3 weeks... any and all advice would help. This is my first bike, thanks
Just personally now ........... If it was I that was getting new tires, I would also have the shop do the front and rear brakes at the same time.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran

OK, let's go through these questions....and welcome to the forum!...you don't need to lift your front end to change the brake pads. The front caliper is almost identical to the back one so the process of changing pads will be the same on both. There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to change brake pads.

As far as getting stands for your bike...you have a few choices. Putting spools on the back makes it easier to use a rear stand. For a front stand you don't use spools on our bike...the more common type of front stand lifts under the front forks. With ABS bikes the front stand still works but it's a little fussy to lift while still maintaining access to the front axle bolts. (due to the extra ABS parts on the right fork)

The other type of front stand lifts under the triple tree. These probably provide better access but are usually pricier.

The other type of stand is the kind that lifts the bike via the swingarm bushing holes in the frame. Google 'Abba superbike stand' for an example. this kind can lift both front and back wheels off the ground at the same time. Very cool but the most expensive option (of course).

As Pooba said, if you're not comfortable doing any of this you can take it to the dealer...but it is not difficult and is very satisfying to do your own work on your bike.
MAL likes this.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:09 PM

also don't put the bike up only on a front stand. if you are doing front you also want to use a rear. I have used amazon/ebay venom stands with a lot of luck. Also the harbor freight rear stand is great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page