long trip planning - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By BAZININJA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

long trip planning

So Im trying to plan a loooong trip from Louisiana all the way to Connecticut in my ninja 300. After I have check the bike and made sure she's ready for the trip, what comfort add-ons should I be looking at. The bike is bone-stock except for an exhaust and gear indicator. I was thinking on a touring or semi touring windshield since the stock one doesnt really work for me. I've never been on a trip this long on a bike so what should I be avoiding and what should I be looking forward to.

TIA
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinochung View Post
So Im trying to plan a loooong trip from Louisiana all the way to Connecticut in my ninja 300. After I have check the bike and made sure she's ready for the trip, what comfort add-ons should I be looking at. The bike is bone-stock except for an exhaust and gear indicator. I was thinking on a touring or semi touring windshield since the stock one doesnt really work for me. I've never been on a trip this long on a bike so what should I be avoiding and what should I be looking forward to.

TIA
Not sure how far you want to go for comfort but a touring screen, bar risers, lowering the rear of the bike a little and adding re-grips on top of the original grips has added a ton of comfort to mine. I'm also waiting for a set of used newgen 250 pegs (rubber foot pads) from ebay which should greatly help vibration.
A cell phone holder is a nice accessory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kennylxix For This Useful Post:
Chinochung (07-16-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinochung View Post

TIA

Big bottle of either " ALEVE " or " ADVIL ".

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:42 AM
Veteran

I'm taking off for my first multi-day trip on my 300 to Tail of the Dragon next week!!!
First, I hope you have already invested in quality riding gear and wear it-- ATGATT!

I have a National Cycle Tall Touring windscreen, Givi V47 topcase and sidebags, Garmin Zumo, Etymotic earphones (seal out the wind so you can hear your tunes!), a custom seat (the stock one is actually pretty comfortable; I didn't add any padding, but it's green now!), MFW Vario footpegs and mounts (to lower them), and a BrakeAway throttle lock. I'll also be wearing my Camelbak so I can hydrate on the fly.

Other touring tips: I've found that 350 miles a day is plenty for me on a bike. I've done trips on a Shadow Aero 750, an NT700V, and a NINJA 1000. I leave in the morning, stop every hour to hour and a half or so, take leisurely breaks, and try to be done for the day by supper time. Take plenty of water with you!!! I also take electrolyte pills (available at health food stores) before I leave and at lunch to help me tolerate the heat better. If it's super hot and humid, I wear a cooling towel around my neck, and when I stop I sometimes just douse my whole head. Pack quality rain gear--and hope you don't need it!!Pack a handheld CB radio in case there's no cell service. Pack a tool kit. I have a Bully disc lock that I use at night. Pack microfiber towels to wipe the dew off everything in the morning, as well as something to clean your face shield. Pack a portable charger (such as Anker) to charge up accessories during stops. I also pack a backup set of earphones, eartips, and a backup Bluetooth gizmo. Stash an extra key in a billfold or someplace. Take some portable snacks, such as energy bars, jerky, etc. Get plenty of rest and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
iahawk, MAL, voldotaki and 1 others like this.

2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT "Sheldon"
2015 NINJA 1000 ABS ('Tis better to have loved and lost..)
2008 NINJA 250R (First NINJA love!)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")
The Following User Says Thank You to BAZININJA For This Useful Post:
Chinochung (07-16-2019)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZININJA View Post
I'm taking off for my first multi-day trip on my 300 to Tail of the Dragon next week!!!
First, I hope you have already invested in quality riding gear and wear it-- ATGATT!

I have a National Cycle Tall Touring windscreen, Givi V47 topcase and sidebags, Garmin Zumo, Etymotic earphones (seal out the wind so you can hear your tunes!), a custom seat (the stock one is actually pretty comfortable; I didn't add any padding, but it's green now!), MFW Vario footpegs and mounts (to lower them), and a BrakeAway throttle lock. I'll also be wearing my Camelbak so I can hydrate on the fly.

Other touring tips: I've found that 350 miles a day is plenty for me on a bike. I've done trips on a Shadow Aero 750, an NT700V, and a NINJA 1000. I leave in the morning, stop every hour to hour and a half or so, take leisurely breaks, and try to be done for the day by supper time. Take plenty of water with you!!! I also take electrolyte pills (available at health food stores) before I leave and at lunch to help me tolerate the heat better. If it's super hot and humid, I wear a cooling towel around my neck, and when I stop I sometimes just douse my whole head. Pack quality rain gear--and hope you don't need it!!Pack a handheld CB radio in case there's no cell service. Pack a tool kit. I have a Bully disc lock that I use at night. Pack microfiber towels to wipe the dew off everything in the morning, as well as something to clean your face shield. Pack a portable charger (such as Anker) to charge up accessories during stops. I also pack a backup set of earphones, eartips, and a backup Bluetooth gizmo. Stash an extra key in a billfold or someplace. Take some portable snacks, such as energy bars, jerky, etc. Get plenty of rest and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

Excellent planning

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:37 AM
Veteran

Exclamation The Tire Lecture

VERY IMPORTANT: You're looking at roughly 3000 miles round-trip. You need to make sure your tires will have enough tread on them to make the trip safely. I get about 6000 miles on a set of Dunlop Q3+s; YMMV, depending on the tires you choose. Be aware that some sport bike tires get as few as 2500 miles on them before they're done. I'm starting out with a fresh set on my bike (They've been on for two weeks, and I STILL don't have them scrubbed yet!!). I can't emphasize enough how much of a safety issue this is. If you're already part way through a set, you may need to make arrangements to get new tires somewhere en route.

Don't forget to make sure your oil is good to go as well. I can change my own on my 2017 KRT for less than $30 (Kawi oil and filter). It should be done every 3500 miles or so if you use non-synthetic.

2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT "Sheldon"
2015 NINJA 1000 ABS ('Tis better to have loved and lost..)
2008 NINJA 250R (First NINJA love!)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page