My Quest For Comfort - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

My Quest For Comfort

Im a huge fan of small displacement bikes and really love the ninja 300. What I dont like are the ergonomics. So here's what I did.

Installed 1" bar risers but didn't lower the front.
Installed lowering links set to .5" lower.
Installed ReGrips over the original grips.
Put silicone mats between the foot peg and peg mounts.

The risers and lowering the rear really help give a more upright seating position. That .5" drop just in the back effectively flattens the seat stops from being slid into the tank.
The ReGrips make significantly increase the diameter of the grips (great for my largish hands) and reduce vibration.
The silicone mats insulation reduces vibration.
All of these changes effectively reduce "sportiness" but I spend 95% of the time well below the limits of the bike anyway so the trade-off is worth it.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
Im a huge fan of small displacement bikes and really love the ninja 300. What I dont like are the ergonomics. So here's what I did.

The risers and lowering the rear really help give a more upright seating position. That .5" drop just in the back effectively flattens the seat stops from being slid into the tank.
The ReGrips make significantly increase the diameter of the grips (great for my largish hands) and reduce vibration.
All of these changes effectively reduce "sportiness" but I spend 95% of the time well below the limits of the bike anyway so the trade-off is worth it.

Want to swap bikes Just kidding, but now for the questions.
How did the riser installation go for you ? Your Ninja does not happen to have ABS, does it ?
What manufacturer of " ReGrips " did you select and where purchased ?
.5 drop kit ! Manufacturer ? Place purchased ? Ease of installation ?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you for your time.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Quote:

Want to swap bikes [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/images/smilies/question.gif[/IMG] Just kidding, but now for the questions. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/KawasakiNinja300_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
How did the riser installation go for you ? Your Ninja does not happen to have ABS, does it ?
What manufacturer of " ReGrips " did you select and where purchased ?
.5 drop kit ! Manufacturer ? Place purchased ? Ease of installation ?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you for your time. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/images/smilies/feedback.gif[/IMG]
Riser install went well. Yes I do have ABS. I had to reroute the clutch cable and bend the bracket that was in the way of the brake hose. The brake hose is still just a tiny bit short and at full left lock is the tiniest bit snug. It is probably fine but I will likely get a slightly longer one.
I got a set of roaringtoys lowering links used on eBay. They have several holes for lowering in half inch increments. I chose .5" because it meant I didn't have to alter the kick stand. I think having the rear down a little actually makes it look better too.
The ReGrips are designed for thinks like shovels etc. They go over the existing grips and have this piece that pulls out to snug them down. Very cushy.
Google re-grip for their site.
I'm also planning on installing newgen ninja 250 pegs as they are rubber cushioned and getting the seat either modified or replaced.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Riser install went well. Yes I do have ABS. I had to reroute the clutch cable and bend the bracket that was in the way of the brake hose. The brake hose is still just a tiny bit short and at full left lock is the tiniest bit snug. It is probably fine but I will likely get a slightly longer one.
I got a set of roaringtoys lowering links used on eBay. They have several holes for lowering in half inch increments. I chose .5" because it meant I didn't have to alter the kick stand. I think having the rear down a little actually makes it look better too.
The ReGrips are designed for thinks like shovels etc. They go over the existing grips and have this piece that pulls out to snug them down. Very cushy.
Google re-grip for their site.
I'm also planning on installing newgen ninja 250 pegs as they are rubber cushioned and getting the seat either modified or replaced.

Thank you for the quick reply and info.

I already do have a set of risers, but due to some health issues, I have not been able to ride or even do any work on my bike.
From the video's I have watched and from what other folks have told me, I should only have to bend that wiring / hose bracket to give the brake hose enough room for movement. I really doubt that I would have any problems with it as I very seldom ever go from stop to stop with the steering. The bike would either be sitting in my garage, or I would be sitting on it for a ride.

I already looked at the Regrip site. I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing anything.

Rubber cushioned pegs sound like a great idea and thus far nobody has ever mentioned changing them out.
The foot rests on my Yamaha V-Star 950 are both rubber and spring mounted. No vibrations noticed with them.

I have already changed out the seat for a factory GEL seat. But as stated, I have not been able to ride the bike, thus no report is available.

Once again, thank you for you advise .............

Last edited by Granpooba; 07-12-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I use the .75 to 1.5 ReGrips. They work perfectly. Just need to be trimmed for length.
I ordered a set of used 250 pegs on eBay. They look like they will fit. For $20 it's worth a shot. If these work well I'll probably keep my eyes open for a nicer set.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran

It has been some time, but just as a follow up, I have installed the handle bar risers and had not problems with the installation on my ABS bike. I do have full turning movement stop to stop. Also I did not have to bend any brackets.

Am still considering " lowering links ". Part of the reason being is that the GEL seat I mounted adds 1" to the height. Thus, I would think that the lowering links would take away the extra height and hopefully reduce the angle of how the seat is mounted.

I have considered 2" lowering, but after several discussions and research, I believe that either 1" or 1.5 " links will suffice.

I have read so many times that if you lower the rear, that you MUST lower the front. But after some real heavy research I am finding out that lowering the front is not a must . This information mainly pertains to the people that use their bikes as everyday commuters or just fun rides, and are not folks that frequent the track.

Can and will not go into all the technical aspects of just lowering the rear. But the NINJA " Sport " bike is produced as a sharp turning bike. Just lowering the rear basically extends the forks and changes the steering from sharp to a more subtle turning bike of which just the everyday user may like better than a sharp turning bike. Reducing the sharpness of the turning more or less moves the NINJA towards a Sport Touring model and possibly depending on drop, close to a Cruiser model. In any case all state that just lowering the rear makes for a more stable motorcycle.

IF you feel that you do not agree with what I am stating here, kindly do not flame me and state that I am all wrong. I am only stating what I have found from information found online that shows and states how to set up bikes for your " particular wants, needs and use. Everybody can go and research the information for themselves. I spent several hours researching, reading and learning what I now know.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Plenty of miles on my 1" lowered rear now. I have 0 negative effects.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Plenty of miles on my 1" lowered rear now. I have 0 negative effects.
Decision has been made and links ordered

Decided to use the KISS method " Keep It Simple Stupid " and knowing that I did not want to play around with different lowering numbers and links full of holes, swapping out kick stands, messing with front forks, I also opted for just the 1" lowered rear.

Also, I opted for lowering links from a company in England, which is LUSTRACING. Have read nothing but good reviews about their products which are used world wide.

Finally, as you have stated, with the handle bar risers, GEL Seat and 1" lowered rear, I also expect to have "0" negative effects for my style of riding.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 PM

did you swap the grips as well?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverRiver6 View Post
did you swap the grips as well?
Have not changed the grips, yet.

Thinking to just stay with original grips and research new grips over the winter.

May be looking at other parts to change out and put together a complete package come next spring.

But, I do have to admit that I am pretty pleased with it, just the way it is now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page