Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

California: Safety Inspection??

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rttoys 
#1 ·
My brother just rode from CA to PA and he has no inspection on his motorcycle.

Does California not have annual safety inspections for motorcycles?

#2 ·
Answering my own question: it appears there is NO annual safety or emissions inspection for motorcycles in California. At least that is what I found online....although that info was many years old. Presumably it has not changed since...

#3 ·
Nope. The safety inspections are random and at the discretion of the CHP. If you bring a bike registered or purchased from another state, it has to pass the smog test, though.

If you think that's lax, you should see the motorcycle requirements for Iowa - we don't even require working turn signals.

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws-Database/state/ia

#4 ·
For future reference, Texas doesn’t have state inspection stickers, but to get your registration, it has to be state inspected first. We changed to this system about 3? Years ago.

Reactions: MAL
#5 ·
Thanks for the replies...

My brother left his Triumph Sprint GT (1050cc) in my garage and is on his way to Europe, after having bought it a few weeks ago & then rode it cross-country (San Fransisco, CA to Scranton, PA).
I am now debating of buying it off him, but I feel it may be just a bit too much bike for me. It looks rather BIG next to my Ninja 300!

#6 ·
It’s comparable to my FZ1, which is a great all around bike. You’ll love the power delivery of the 3 cylinder too. Very predictable and linier.

Reactions: MAL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.