Utah's new lane "filtering" law - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Utah's new lane "filtering" law

My state (Utah) passed a new lane filtering law this year. The law is not the same as lane "splitting" like in say California. The lane filtering law pertains to being stopped at a red light. If traffic is stopped at a red light then motorcycles are allowed to go inbetween the lanes and scoot up to the front of the line. As you can imagine, this hasnt come without its fair share of problems already. Creating road rage, motorcycles being chased, police being called, doors being opened. Just the other day I got my own first hand witness to an incident. I was not on my bike, I was in my car, stopped at a red light, and a man on an R6 trotted up to the front. Sure enough, a hillbilly redneck inbred douche in a lifted pickup truck tried to swerve at the R6 when the light turned green. Luckily the bike was already ahead of the truck. I personally have not tried this on my bike yet for these very reasons.

I just wanted to share this with anyone wanting to chime in or share anything. Thats all.

Thanks everyone, be safe out there.
MAL likes this.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM

Yeah, the idiots get stuck on stupid and think you are jumping ahead of them in line.
TB300 likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:34 PM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB300 View Post
...a hillbilly redneck inbred douche in a lifted pickup truck tried to swerve at the R6 when the light turned green...

(bolding mine)
Around these parts it would have been a 54 year old woman in an SUV, but same difference, I guess.

I thought I'd welcome a law like that here, but after reading your post I am not so sure anymore...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Dont get me wrong, Im sure it hasnt all been bad. There are a couple videos on youtube of riders in Utah using the new law and not having any problems. So its not all bad. I was and still am alittle apprehensive of the new law. Hopefully after more time and more people learn of the new law then it will get better. We shall see. The problem i believe is that theyve only talked about the new law a couple times on the news. People dont watch the news anymore. They need to do more to get the word out. They need to post it on social media and places that more people will see it nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
(bolding mine)
Around these parts it would have been a 54 year old woman in an SUV, but same difference, I guess.

I thought I'd welcome a law like that here, but after reading your post I am not so sure anymore...
MAL likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Good you have such a law.

I always stay away from pick up trucks, specially those raised and with wide pipes, as many of those are driven by idiots.

A defensive maneuver when filtering at the red light is not to make it to the very front but stop right behind the first line of cars, and stay close to the lane edge.
That way, most of the people don't feel they are being cut in line.
And if there is someone aggressive, the cars in front of you will do a normal start which will give you time to swerve and ride away from trouble.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Although not allowed in NYC, people still filter and split. Most drivers are ok, some even make space which is cool. I usually give them a friendly wave. Others however, will try to block or won't let me merge back in. I usually go around them or buzz past them when I eventually get a good gap. They hate that sh*t I've even been on the shoulder and people have tried to block me! Maybe they've had previous bad experiences with bikes or whatever. I'm never aggressive or rev my engine (people don't move anyway). Don't want to be "that" biker.

The traffic here gets pretty tight, especially on bridges. What I do now is fold my mirrors in and weave inbetween traffic, ducking under side mirrors The bike is so slim and light. Love it!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
In Florida we have our own irony. Lane Splitting isn't legal but everyone thinks that it is. You'll more often find someone looking at you weird for not lane splitting than you will for someone bothered at you lane splitting...

That said, for the OP, sounds like this is simply a PR problem. I really wish motorcycle advocacy groups in the USA had any a quarter of the weight 2A groups like the GOA or NRA have. Even in smaller European countries you hear about anti-guardrail protests all the time. Here motorcycles seem to be regarded as little more than recreational novelties or an unacknowledged nuisance...
MAL likes this.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I always stay away from pick up trucks, specially those raised and with wide pipes, as many of those are driven by idiots.

Fair warning: 52 year-old woman here who occasionally drives a red lifted RAM 2500 6spd diesel...

2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT "Sheldon"
2015 NINJA 1000 ABS ('Tis better to have loved and lost..)
2008 NINJA 250R (First NINJA love!)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZININJA View Post
Fair warning: 52 year-old woman here who occasionally drives a red lifted RAM 2500 6spd diesel...
Nothing personal. If you ride a 300, then you know what is to be the weakest link in the traffic chain, so I'm sure you drive your truck respectfully to others.

It's just one of the patterns that I spot on the streets and stay away from. Nothing related to gender.
I particularly dislike when they rev up the engine to smoke the cars or bikes around them. Maybe they tune the truck specially for that?. Disgusting.

Other type of vehicles/drivers that I avoid are middle age women on SUV's, young males on Mustangs or similar american sport cars, small European or Japanese sport cars with suspension lowered and windows tinted way beyond reason, and of course, unruly bikers who don't respect any kind of street or track rule.

Ride safe and defensively!

Last edited by Topaz; 06-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:17 PM

It's just amazing to me that something so minor and non-controversial in most of the world can cause so much rage in the land of the free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page