Dealer over-torqued oil plug and filter? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Dealer over-torqued oil plug and filter?

Doing my second oil change at 3k miles. First was done by the deal with the 600 mile check up. Here's what I found:

I go to remove the oil drain plug, and I have to stand and put all of my weight on it to get the plug to break. It finally breaks with a loud crack....weird, but whatever. Next up, I go to remove the oil filter by hand, nope. Two hands and rubber grip gloves, nope. Strap wrench, nope-strap breaks. At this point i'm like wtf. Go to auto zone and get a metal oil filter removal tool and it finally comes off. I'm still not THAT concerned at this point. I go to replace the crush washer on the plug, and nope. Washer is so crushed it wont come off the plug. The inner diameter is bit inward. Trying to get it off is only damaging the bolt further. Lastly, this oil is not 2500 old....not to me anyways. I've seen cleaner oil come out of my 92 ford ranger custom with 260k plus miles on it. I call it a night.

Anyone have some insight on this or is my suspicions of **** dealership work accurate? There may be some other variables at play....The bike was bought in Colorado at altitude and is now on the east cost near sea level. I've also run it at the track. Dunno if those alone are enough to make these things tighten up.

Second, Can you get the plug at a local auto parts store? I don't have a dealership near me, and I'm supposed to go to a track day in two days and getting stressed out about it now. Don't wanna be that guy who just throws the bolt back on, which I tried, and noticed the bolt is now way past the position it once was when tight as indicated by my safety wire tap hole.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaxy View Post
Anyone have some insight on this or is my suspicions of **** dealership work accurate?
Never ever let your dealer do an oil change. Yes your shit was over torqued. The reason why? An oil change is something any brain dead idiot can do, so when you take your bike to the dealer for an oil change, they give it to the person with the fewest brain cells to spare. Usually a high schooler, who probably never used a torque wrench before, and was just hired the day before, and came into work high.

Also note: want to know what they "check" for a 600 mile checkup? Nothing but boxes on a checklist. Maybe your clutch lever tightness if you are lucky.

Want something done right? Do it yourself. Point made.
jkv45 and Shaxy like this.

Zaph - Retired racer - Race Bike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - Pics [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
]
No longer present here - Find Zaph42 @ ninjette.org
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Never ever let your dealer do an oil change. Yes your shit was over torqued. The reason why? An oil change is something any brain dead idiot can do, so when you take your bike to the dealer for an oil change, they give it to the person with the fewest brain cells to spare. Usually a high schooler, who probably never used a torque wrench before, and was just hired the day before, and came into work high.

Also note: want to know what they "check" for a 600 mile checkup? Nothing but boxes on a checklist. Maybe your clutch lever tightness if you are lucky.

Want something done right? Do it yourself. Point made.
Sounds about right. I was living in a snoody apartment complex at the time with a strict "no maintenance" policy in the parking garage. I think dealership also threatened that if I didn't get the service done it would void my warranty. Rather than researching and taking it to a buddys house I said screw it and dropped it off. Lesson learned.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Sounds about right. I was living in a snoody apartment complex at the time with a strict "no maintenance" policy in the parking garage. I think dealership also threatened that if I didn't get the service done it would void my warranty. Rather than researching and taking it to a buddys house I said screw it and dropped it off. Lesson learned.
You can do all the maintenance work you want on your own.
https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guide...s/undermag.htm

To the other part. How bad is the drain plug? New crush washer and it’s not right? Since you are on a short timeframe, maybe overnight one on amazon or something.
Shaxy likes this.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
‘18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Veteran

Elevations are not going to change torque requirement numbers.

Work done by Motorcycle Technician does not necessarily mean he was smart and did it correctly.

If you are pressed for time and need a bolt and washer just for a day or two, personally I would go to a good hardware store and see if they can come up with a short term replacement bolt. We have a hardware store here that has never failed any of my requests.

As I said, it would only be short term and give you the time to acquire a new factory bolt and washer.

Sorry to hear of your problems and good luck .............

\
Shaxy likes this.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
You can do all the maintenance work you want on your own.
https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guide...s/undermag.htm

To the other part. How bad is the drain plug? New crush washer and it’s not right? Since you are on a short timeframe, maybe overnight one on amazon or something.
Good Read!

The drain plug right now is alright, not perfect. The problem is that I can't actually get the washer off. I tried to vice-grip it off of there but it was starting muck up the threading of the bolt. I thought about take a dremel to it but i'd probably end up up doing more damage to the bolt itself. The bikes gotta go up on the truck tomorrow in 18 hours so hopefully I can find something that works before then.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Good Read!

The drain plug right now is alright, not perfect. The problem is that I can't actually get the washer off. I tried to vice-grip it off of there but it was starting muck up the threading of the bolt. I thought about take a dremel to it but i'd probably end up up doing more damage to the bolt itself. The bikes gotta go up on the truck tomorrow in 18 hours so hopefully I can find something that works before then.
I know you are never suppose to stack seals, o-rings or washers, but what about adding a second crush washer to the drain plug? You might need some dumb dumb behind it to properly seal, but it’s worth a shot, as a temporary fix.
Granpooba likes this.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
‘18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
I know you are never suppose to stack seals, o-rings or washers, but what about adding a second crush washer to the drain plug? You might need some dumb dumb behind it to properly seal, but it’s worth a shot, as a temporary fix.

I have to agree as we are only looking at a short term fix here, just to get some track time in.

You are not going to be riding it thousands of miles between oil and filter changes. I would look for a good fitting FIBER washer and go with that for the short term.

I am quite sure that any professional racing team would do the same, just to get the bike back out of the track.

As we were previously stating, short term fix gives you time to acquire new parts and make it right again.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post

I am quite sure that any professional racing team would do the same, just to get the bike back out of the track.
When we raced Pikes Peak a few years ago, the o ring seal on our gas cap had become deteriorated from years of race fuel use and was leaking a little bit in corners. Finding an exact fuel compatible match at a motorcycle dealer for a vintage race bike was not going to happen. we ended up at Napa and just “matched” up the oring, then the counter guy wanted to argue That it was not a real fix. I ended up telling him “it only has to last 13 miles” . And it did.

Track-

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
‘18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:16 PM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Doing my second oil change at 3k miles. First was done by the deal with the 600 mile check up.

Although not specifically called for, many do a LOT more oil changes early on in the life of the 300.
I've read reports of 3 to 4 oil changes during the first 1000 miles.
There's quite a bit of "break-in" material that finds its way into the oil during the first few hundred miles.
I can't quite recall when I did my first oil change, maybe at 500 miles or so, but I do remember it being rather dark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page