Opinions? Motorcycle Sale Papers template - Bill of Sale, Test Ride, Holding Deposit - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Gables_Ninja
  • 1 Post By Gables_Ninja

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Opinions? Motorcycle Sale Papers template - Bill of Sale, Test Ride, Holding Deposit

So I just sold my Ninja 300 ABS, and I'm pending selling a 2016 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS in the immediate future. I'm a stickler for paperwork, so I compiled some sale papers with what I found most compelling online. That way I have nice documents for any future sale, or I can modify them for any other similar situation. If anyone has any opinions, they're welcome. If anyone just wants to download a copy for their personal use in the future (and under their own responsibility), or to modify for themselves, that's fine too. At least that way my time is better taken advantage of.

As for a summary of the papers:
- Sale Agreement: You're typical bill of sale, albeit a bit more complete.
- Holding Deposit Agreement: If you want to leave a deposit now, to reserve the vehicle for future payment and pick up, there's a form for that.
- Motorcycle Test Ride Agreement: As is typical with motorcycles, test drives are only with cash in hand, and if you take a fall, it's yours. The document only formalizes that.
- Test Drive Envelope: Just a template to print on an envelope to put the test drive money in during the test drive, with the signature line over the envelope seal. It looks off center, but when printed (with my Epson WF-3640 Printer through the rear feed slot) it prints centered on a standard envelope.

Obviously, this is the maximum exponent of paperwork, but it makes me feel better, and for many buyers it shows seriousness and competentness. If it drives away any buyer which just wants to shove cash your way and have keys shoved theirs, than it's their loss. It's all standard stuff anyway, just written down explicitly.

Anyway, if anyone has opinions, I'm all ears.

Disclaimers:
- I am not a lawyer, nor do I have any formal legal training of any kind. This is just my personal opinion.
- If anyone decides to save or make use of any documents, it is under their own exclusive responsibility.
- No claims are made regarding the legality of the documents.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generic Sale Agreement.pdf (83.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Generic Vehicle Sale Holding Deposit.pdf (70.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Generic Motorcycle Test Ride Agreement.pdf (79.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf Generic Test Drive Envelope.pdf (313.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: zip Motorcycle Sale Papers - Docx Files.zip (70.9 KB, 5 views)

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

Last edited by Gables_Ninja; 11-07-2017 at 12:02 PM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Do you take cash in hand when you complete the sale? Do you check the bills are not counterfeited? How?

When I sold my 2010 Ninja 250, I just took the cash.

When I sold my BMW S10000RR, then I asked the seller to meet me at my bank. I brought the bike and the title, he brought the cash. He deposited the money into my account, so the teller checked the bills, then I signed the title.
He walked out the bank with his new bike. I walked out with the money in my account.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Do you take cash in hand when you complete the sale? Do you check the bills are not counterfeited? How?
When I said "cash in hand" it was more as in the typical saying. It really would have been "Bank or Cashiers Check in hand", but it doesn't sound as good hehe. Though for just a test drive, a good vibe, a pic of their DL and an envelope full of cash would probably be sufficient to leave me feeling satisfied. Regarding the actual sale, if cash were the payment method than I agree that in-bank is the best idea. It's also ideal to go to the tag agency together so it depends on more than a few factors.

In real life plans change and ideals get broken, which is why it at least comforts me to know I have decent paperwork to begin with already printed.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!

Last edited by Gables_Ninja; 11-07-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran

But a cashier check can be counterfeited too.

My last buyer offered me a cashier check, but I didn't know how to verify that the check was not counterfeited.
I didn't get the 'good vibe' from the guy either, so I wanted to double check everything.
I guess I could have called his bank.

In the end I told him to bring cash and go to my bank or no deal.
My price was good, and so was my bike, so he agreed even though he was clearly upset.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
But a cashier check can be counterfeited too.

My last buyer offered me a cashier check, but I didn't know how to verify that the check was not counterfeited.
I didn't get the 'good vibe' from the guy either, so I wanted to double check everything.
I guess I could have called his bank.

In the end I told him to bring cash and go to my bank or no deal.
My price was good, and so was my bike, so he agreed even though he was clearly upset.
I perfectly understand. But from the other guys point of view, he might be buying a stolen bike or one with a crapped out engine. Both parties are taking risks. It's simply a matter of balancing the risks against the statistics. But given that the bike has to be registered, the person isn't going to be able to just disappear without a trace. Unless they intend to part out the bike, which is unlikely.

I can understand the guy being ticked off about the cashiers check, since it is the "gold standard" at any dealership. And on the other hand I imagine most people aren't all that sure what a cashiers check is. In any case, like you said, if the price is good and so is the bike, one way or another everything gets sorted out.

- Check out

!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the downloads. Really appreciate that. Are you selling to pick up the 400 ?

Mods : M4 Full exhaust, ECU Flash tune, Spegler SS Brake Lines, Driven Clip-Ons, Yoshi-Rear Sets, Michelin Pilot Street Radials, MotoDynamic Integrated Tail Light, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, SSR CF Rear Hugger, Pro grips, TechSpech Snake Skin Tank Grip Pads, Ebay Shorty Levers, LED Glow Lights, CustomTaylor33 Rim Tape, Fender Eliminator, Shogun Frame Sliders.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Or maybe selling it to avoid the worth drop that the N300 will get in spring when the N400 will be at the dealers?

So far, the N300 has kept the value pretty decently. But now it'll become the 'prev.gen'.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1NJ4 View Post
Thanks for the downloads. Really appreciate that. Are you selling to pick up the 400 ?
Glad they are of use to anyone. I bought a 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 about 2 months ago. Honestly, from what I've seen so far the 400 is both a watered down 650 and an upgraded 300. Not sure which more. It has the exact same dash as the 650 as well as a whole bunch of other features, and leaves out nice things like the dual front discs. In my case, wanting more power and a physically bigger bike after having a 300 for a couple of years leaves me unconvinced on the 400. It looks like a perfect first bike, but I fail to see it as an upgrade bike. At the end of the day it will all depend on how they price the 250 and 400, though things are starting to feel crowded already.

On the bright side I'm really happy with the 650 so far. They made all the right improvements. The only thing missing is inverted forks.

Quote:
Or maybe selling it to avoid the worth drop that the N300 will get in spring when the N400 will be at the dealers?

So far, the N300 has kept the value pretty decently. But now it'll become the 'prev.gen'.
I bought the 2017 N650 in July, and it turns out it was perfect timing. I got the bike below MSRP out the door. In part probably because the 2018 N650 came out just weeks later (whose color schemes I hate) and a 650$ Kawasaki discount. I was happy with the N300, but I was really suspicious that a new model was going to come out (like the 2017 N650), and as such the N300's price was gonna drop. Plus I already had a buyer for my bike. Looks like that was the case. Since the N300 isn't really being upgraded as much as it is being replaced, and it's a much loved bike, I'm not sure how the used price is going to be affected. But whats clear is the month to sell the bike was this one if anyone wanted to upgrade.
N1NJ4 likes this.

- Check out

!

Last edited by Gables_Ninja; 11-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran

Hey @Gables_Ninja. Do you know what happens with the sales tax when the bike is a gift?

How do the tax office determine the bike value? Let's say a friend or a family gives you a used bike as gift. What amount do you have to write in the title and pay taxes on? KBB or NADA value? Which one? (as those sites give more than one value. Trade in, retail, ecc)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Hey @Gables_Ninja. Do you know what happens with the sales tax when the bike is a gift?

How do the tax office determine the bike value? Let's say a friend or a family gives you a used bike as gift. What amount do you have to write in the title and pay taxes on? KBB or NADA value? Which one? (as those sites give more than one value. Trade in, retail, ecc)
I can't say for sure, but I was told at the tag agency that if the vehicle was truly a gift to friend/family without any monetary exchange that you don't have to pay any tax. In my case it was because I wanted to exchange a bike with a friend with no compensation. That said, I didn't follow through so I can't confirm. And I bet this is the type of issue where you might get different answers if you ask at different tag agencies.

With these types of odd situations it's often best to not waste time searching online for anecdotes and just pass by or email a specific agency in your area and ask.

- Check out

!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gables_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Topaz (05-21-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page