Slip on Questions... - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Jer

Slip on Questions...

Hey Guys,

I need a little help with my slip on exhaust. A few months back I went ahead and bought a Musarri slip on. After using it only twice I had two initial reactions which actually made me go back to stock. I am missing it now and am wondering if i jumped the gun. Maybe I can solve the two issues and be happy with it....cause it did sound pretty cool.

1- db loudness at idle was pretty decent not too loud...but man when just cruising around it seemed to get to my ears and was actually too loud for my taste (with db killer in). I took the db killer out and took a look. Its only about 75mm long. I know that much longer ones can be purchased online. Would a longer db killer insert reduce the volume or is there anything I can do to bring down the volume a little?

2-I noticed more vibration in the foot pegs and handlebars, actually to the point were it took the enjoyment away from the "smoothness" of the stock bike and road. Is this normal for a slip on, and will the vibration hurt the bike over time?

I was initally comparing it to the leo vince GP corsa which maybe I should have just went with...but I liked the sound of the musarri more. Any ideas if I can fix the two things that were bugging me, or are these normal and to be expected with a slipon?

Thanks for any help....right now I have the Musarri back in the box and just sitting there
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Jer

Well in case anyone wonders I used two small rubber washers at the frame mounting point. Maybe it's all in my head but this time around I have absolutely no extra vibration. Weird-actually I think less than stock even. Think I got it this time.

Time to enjoy the Musarri - it really does have a great sound to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jer For This Useful Post:
Doc Samson (10-03-2017)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Veteran

Garage
Is anyone using a AKRAPOVIC copy on the 300. Any side effects??

I have kept the headers and pipe stock only the slip on is changed.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
1- db loudness at idle was pretty decent not too loud...but man when just cruising around it seemed to get to my ears and was actually too loud for my taste (with db killer in). I took the db killer out and took a look. Its only about 75mm long. I know that much longer ones can be purchased online. Would a longer db killer insert reduce the volume or is there anything I can do to bring down the volume a little?

2-I noticed more vibration in the foot pegs and handlebars, actually to the point were it took the enjoyment away from the "smoothness" of the stock bike and road. Is this normal for a slip on, and will the vibration hurt the bike over time?
I have the Musarri (sounds so good!) and yeah, it is loud even with the baffle. Earplugs are a must if you want to preserve your hearing over the long haul! Not just to protect from the exhaust, but also from wind noise at speed. As for vibration, it's something I had noticed but thought maybe it was just me! It's not too bad but is noticeable. Glad it worked out for you and I'll have to give your solution a try!

Vehicles:

'15 Ninja 300 w/ TechSpec Tank Grips, Double bubble windscreen, reflective white rim tape, & Musarri Slip-on (sold)
'06 CBR F4i w/ nothing, i.e. pure stock... for now
'99 Tacoma w/ requisite frame rust
A tastefully modded '05 Forester XT - Gone, but not forgotten!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Jer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I have the Musarri (sounds so good!) and yeah, it is loud even with the baffle. Earplugs are a must if you want to preserve your hearing over the long haul! Not just to protect from the exhaust, but also from wind noise at speed. As for vibration, it's something I had noticed but thought maybe it was just me! It's not too bad but is noticeable. Glad it worked out for you and I'll have to give your solution a try!
ya give it a shot. Pretty sure its not all in my head cause rode to work this morning paying attention to vibes and basically exact same as stock or even a little less.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Garage
I hear ya Doc about wearing ear plugs.....I have been riding since around 73 and have never used ear plugs but after reading posts from people on this forum I gave it a try and all I have to say is "WOW" what a difference it makes on cutting back on wind noise and exhaust sounds.

When riding around town around 45mph or less I might not wear them but if I go anywhere over that speed for any length of time they will surely be in.

2014 Kawa N300 Non-ABS
DanMoto Slip-on - ZG Sport Touring
Techspec tank & knee pads
Yosh rear fender kit - K&N filter
40T Sprocket - Gear indicator
Gel grips
Osram night racers

"To err is human,to purr is divine!"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Garage
I also have the Mussari slip on and think it sounds great too. Even before I installed the slip on, I began wearing noise isolating in-ear Bluetooth headphones during rides. I actually wore them to an air show recently and they did a great job of blocking the unbearable noise from the fighter jets! (not sure how people handled it without them, they were LOUD) The three-button control drops just below the helmet chin strap so I can easily control the headphones while on the bike. I use the 'Abedi M11' Bluetooth wireless headphones on every single ride. I really do not like to ride without them. Regarding the baffle - I'm not sure if you can get a different baffle that would make it any quieter but that is a very good question. I'm guessing most baffles are kind of generic so as long as it's a similar diameter, it should work, but I'm not sure if it would mess up the amount of back pressure/flow etc. etc.

Since installing the slip on, I have noticed a good amount of vibration throughout the entire bike too. I guess I've just gotten used to it but sometimes I do find myself going to a higher gear (to drop the RPMs) which in turns minimizes the vibrations. The thing just vibrates like crazy above 7k, which I mostly feel throughout the seat and handlebars. I assumed that was normal for having a slip on. Did your Vince GP Corsa slip on not cause the bike to vibrate as much?

Last edited by MOtoNinja; 10-04-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Vet

Earplugs are a bother, so I would go with something not so loud. The Leo Vince Corsa you mentioned with the baffle in does click and pop, but it is not so loud you would need earplugs...at least I don't need them. The other reason is that I have neighbors who would not appreciate anything louder when I head out at 5 am. There is another reason I don't like too much noise. The noise is not performance noise like you get with larger engines....more like a Yorkshire Terrier when what you really want is a Rottweiler sound that just isn't possible with a small engine. The best sounding stock exhaust I've heard is on an Aprilia Tuono, but that's a 4-cylinder liter engine and that makes all the difference.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Jer

I think it would be neat to see a db comparison between the Musarri and Leo Vince...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkw12002 View Post
Earplugs are a bother, so I would go with something not so loud.
I agree that earplugs are a bit of a pain but it's not necessarily the exhaust that will damage hearing. Unless your helmet is really good at muffling wind noise, you are going to end up with some level of loss if you ride much over 15-20 mph and do not use plugs...

https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.go...ss-in-cyclists

Vehicles:

'15 Ninja 300 w/ TechSpec Tank Grips, Double bubble windscreen, reflective white rim tape, & Musarri Slip-on (sold)
'06 CBR F4i w/ nothing, i.e. pure stock... for now
'99 Tacoma w/ requisite frame rust
A tastefully modded '05 Forester XT - Gone, but not forgotten!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page