Bike Already Stolen - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Everyone who buys a motorcycle while living in an apartment complex without a garage eventually gets their bike stolen. For some it's sooner, for some it's later. Man... Spur of the moment purchase, no place to store it, didn't get insurance... you have to admit this is a string of bad decisions.

Before you get another bike, have a place to store it. Back when I lived in an apartment with no garage, I stored my bike in the garages of family members.

No, keeping a bike outside and insuring the hell out of it it isn't a good solution. Insurance companies know where you live and you end up just getting super high rates because they know your bike will be stolen.
I'll admit it wasn't the best, but I was expecting to get a better paycheck.

I wouldn't approach that every bike in an apartment gets stolen. I don't hold that as a fact.
While constructive criticism is great and yeah I probably shouldn't have, but researched for about a year what I wanted, and set a date for when I would get it after my lease is up and I get my town home. However life can be spontaneous and I fell in love with a bike, and didn't take any chances.

The insurance part yeah, it was dumb, but I wasn't expecting my job to screw me to the point of a low income pay. Because I make pretty good money.

Thank you for the wise words but a pathetic thief and the fear of an apt complex won't so me from getting something I love and enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Always insure a bike for at least theft, especially if you're not keeping it indoors or are parking around the city a lot. they're easy to steal and bike thieves are common. I strongly urge this to everyone who wants a bike. Good luck, man.
Except the insuring for theft often costs between 10-20% or more of what the bike cost, specially if they bundle it with comprehensive. At the price you're basically paying for a comparable bike every 4 years (And if I expect to get robbed more than every 4 years, insurance is the least of my concerns). On more exclusive bikes maybe, but on a Ninja 300 I'm not convinced. On the other hand, you're pretty much making a bet. I thought I threw away my money betting for Trump (I also betted for Hillary, but much less haha). Listening to CNN I might have shredded that money, but it actually paid off and paid for a new leather motorcycle jacket In other words, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But if you win that doesn't make the bet smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactronaut View Post
Yeah you better believe I'm going to get GPS, lock, insurance, the works.
I've done a lot of research, and the best GPS alarm for the money is the tk303b (about 30$), costing 5$/month for service. It's pretty cool to have, it's the most useful alarm I've ever owned. I've installed two of them and I'm satisfied with them. And it does alot more than the 900$ alarm that the dealer offered. And it's pretty funny to get home and see a text message from my motorcycle bothering me about going faster than 100mph during the ride haha. I've tried two way alarms and those really suck.

I even installed a fake alarm under the seat, and the real, GPS alarm under the tank, as well as secured the tank with I-Torx security screws. If you disconnect the fake alarm, the real alarm works as usual, but the siren gets deactivated (I wired it through the fake alarm) giving the thief no reason to think that alarm isn't real. The only issue is that you never know how much the police is going to want to help you when you show up saying your bike is stolen and you know where it is. I doubt they'll have the same urgency.

For locks, Kryptonite locks are the way to go. As well as locking it to the ground or a real fixed object. From your post I understand it wasn't locked to anything, only a disc lock was used which helps, but doesn't really prevent putting it on a van for a serious thief. That's still more than what most people do, anyway.

Quote:
Everyone who buys a motorcycle while living in an apartment complex without a garage eventually gets their bike stolen. For some it's sooner, for some it's later..
Maybe, maybe not. That's too general of a statement to make any meaningful point. As if the exceptions weren't in the hundreds of thousands or more range.

Quote:
Man... Spur of the moment purchase, no place to store it, didn't get insurance... you have to admit this is a string of bad decisions.
Hell no. I'd dare say the majority of motorcycle owners don't own a garage or have theft insurance. After all, compared to cars, we're the budget choice. Most don't have insurance at all in my state, where it's not obligatory. And I sure as hell don't have theft insurance. I'm talking about the average motorcycle owner here, the type of guy that doesn't care so much about his bike to be writing about it on a forum in their free time, like us. Some will, and some won't, but it's not a bad decision. It's just an unlucky one in this case. If someone told me that after having my bike stolen, I'd label them a dick for the rest of time. No offense there.

Anyway, after a situation like this there is no easy way to approach the situation again. I have a friend in a similar situation and they use a Kryptonite Evolution 4 Integrated Chain Lock with a Kryptonite 330202 Black 16mm Above Ground Stronghold Anchor. That along with a bike cover and a GPS Tracker + Alarm means that if that bike get's stolen, there was nothing that you could have done about it.
Tactronaut likes this.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

Last edited by Gables_Ninja; 05-03-2017 at 05:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gables_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Tactronaut (05-03-2017)
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
I have a friend in a similar situation and they use a Kryptonite Evolution 4 Integrated Chain Lock with a Kryptonite 330202 Black 16mm Above Ground Stronghold Anchor. That along with a bike cover and a GPS Tracker + Alarm means that if that bike get's stolen, there was nothing that you could have done about it.

That last line about nothing being done, I read somewhere that regardless of what one uses to deter a bike thief, if the bike thief really wants it, he will get it. obviously the alarms, chains and all that will slow him down, but they'll eventually get it.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
I wouldn't approach that every bike in an apartment gets stolen. I don't hold that as a fact.
Sorry, in the world of garageless apartment dwellers, there are those who had their bike stolen, and those who haven't... yet.

I'm old and I've been around. Want to see something interesting? Do a forum search on this and several other bike forums for the word "Stolen" as used in thread titles. What you will find is that all of the bikes stolen from residences are apartment dwellers without garages. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Every time I see "stolen" pop up, I take a peek inside the post and sure enough, another apartment dweller with no garage. It sucks. I just see it too much. I would hate for you to just run out and get another bike and then have that one stolen too.
Gawernator likes this.

Zaph - Retired racer - Race Bike [
] - Pics [
] [
]
No longer present here - Find Zaph42 @ ninjette.org
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaph For This Useful Post:
Tactronaut (05-03-2017)
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, in the world of garageless apartment dwellers, there are those who had their bike stolen, and those who haven't... yet.

I'm old and I've been around. Want to see something interesting? Do a forum search on this and several other bike forums for the word "Stolen" as used in thread titles. What you will find is that all of the bikes stolen from residences are apartment dwellers without garages. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Every time I see "stolen" pop up, I take a peek inside the post and sure enough, another apartment dweller with no garage. It sucks. I just see it too much. I would hate for you to just run out and get another bike and then have that one stolen too.
Ya know, I know the risks and I know it may have been some poor choices.

I never get to do anything spontaneous like this. I don't regret what I've done. I just hate having to bet on the cruelty of the world in order to balance my decisions ya know?

I apologize if I came off like an ass, just emotional about it all. I just don't want to come in thinking everyone or anyone is going to take it. That sounds just awful, even if it might be true.

My girlfriend recently bought a business and has a back storage area with commercial locks. It's mostly a walk to her building from me and we will store the bike (if found) there.. or a newer bike down the road.

I didn't have that option until yesterday, but now for future me, I can assure that the only one who can get it is one of us, and cameras are everywhere.

Nothing will stop a determined thief, but that should stop the majority of ner-do-wells.

I really do appreciate the insight. Regardless how much I want to disagree with you, I know it's risky, but what is life without taking risks. I would have been sitting on a CB300F still having a good time, but wondering why I didn't get the Ninja that basically fit my dream bike discription because I needed to wait until the town home.

It's a learning experience, but it will definitely help my credit score. Trying to push for 780 again.

post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Ya know, I know the risks and I know it may have been some poor choices.

I never get to do anything spontaneous like this. I don't regret what I've done. I just hate having to bet on the cruelty of the world in order to balance my decisions ya know?

I apologize if I came off like an ass, just emotional about it all. I just don't want to come in thinking everyone or anyone is going to take it. That sounds just awful, even if it might be true.

My girlfriend recently bought a business and has a back storage area with commercial locks. It's mostly a walk to her building from me and we will store the bike (if found) there.. or a newer bike down the road.

I didn't have that option until yesterday, but now for future me, I can assure that the only one who can get it is one of us, and cameras are everywhere.

Nothing will stop a determined thief, but that should stop the majority of ner-do-wells.

I really do appreciate the insight. Regardless how much I want to disagree with you, I know it's risky, but what is life without taking risks. I would have been sitting on a CB300F still having a good time, but wondering why I didn't get the Ninja that basically fit my dream bike discription because I needed to wait until the town home.

It's a learning experience, but it will definitely help my credit score. Trying to push for 780 again.

It sucks hard, but you've got the right attitude about it. Don't let something shitty like this keep you from doing the things you enjoy.
Tactronaut likes this.

Engineer rocketing through time and space on two wheels!
The Following User Says Thank You to sparkcycle For This Useful Post:
Tactronaut (05-03-2017)
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Theft/vandalism coverage is the one part of my insurance I value most. I have not known very many riders over the years, but far too many of them had their bikes stolen at some point. I have a garage, but I met this guy at my local dealership who had his stolen from his garage. He was flabbergasted, he said it was an old ratty stunt bike work maybe 2k. They actually cut through his garage door to get it.

I still feel mine is safe at home, but when I go out. I worry about it getting hit by a car, kicked by a jealous jerk, or taken. My state requires liability, and if I have to pay for that I might as well have a product that provides me with some peace of mind. I pay $35 a month to insure my Ninja 300 and a CBR 250R. The reasonable insurance rates are one of the things I love about these bikes and makes them so easy to live with.

Tactronaut I am heartbroken to hear that you are experiencing a true nightmare scenario.
Gawernator likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to benh972 For This Useful Post:
Tactronaut (05-03-2017)
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:

Yup, and I don't want to come off like an ass either, for what seems like kicking someone when they're down. Truth is I've learned my own lessons. At one point I kept a bike outside too. In a poor neighborhood where people get pissed off because someone else has something nice. Gonna bring up the other word - Vandalism. Had my gas tank dented by a baseball bat twice before I learned my lesson.

Anyway, sounds like you have a plan for some storage, so you are off to a great start for your next bike. Man I tell you the day I bought a house with a garage was like a breakthrough in awesomeness. Could not wait to fill it up with bikes, tools, workbenches and everything else.

If you live on the ground floor, you could also roll it in through the porch door. The old owner of my 675R kept his bike in the apartment living room. I give extra man points for that, lol.
Tactronaut likes this.

Zaph - Retired racer - Race Bike [
] - Pics [
] [
]
No longer present here - Find Zaph42 @ ninjette.org

Last edited by Zaph; 05-03-2017 at 06:59 PM.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
That sucks. Not getting comprehensive insurance on a street bike though.... well now you know.

Racing AFM #725
Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:

|
| Armour Bodies |
|
|
| Forcefield Armor |
|
| Incipio/Incase |
|
| Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. |
|
|

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Vet

Dang, the bike has a unique paint job that stands out (I like it really).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekay View Post
That last line about nothing being done, I read somewhere that regardless of what one uses to deter a bike thief, if the bike thief really wants it, he will get it. obviously the alarms, chains and all that will slow him down, but they'll eventually get it.
Yeah 2 or 3 guys quickly haul it into a van in seconds with a metal cage so mobile signals are blocked, bike disappears from the radar. Some people actually install ground anchors apparently, to at least slow them down and make the bike less attractive.

Last edited by xorbe; 05-04-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page