Green liquid please help - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Looks like some sort of grease. Idk where it would be from.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Vet

Yes, the 1st photo looks a little too green and thick, but the second photo looks much more like coolant and with the splatter pattern of the second photo, it looks too thin for grease.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Maybe grease from the chain colored by coolant leaking from a hose?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguyjoe View Post
Looks like some sort of grease. Idk where it would be from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkw12002 View Post
Yes, the 1st photo looks a little too green and thick, but the second photo looks much more like coolant and with the splatter pattern of the second photo, it looks too thin for grease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Maybe grease from the chain colored by coolant leaking from a hose?
thanks for input guys so i took my bike to work when i got off about 4 hours later there was like 2 quarters worth of green liquid on floor so something is leaking and its coming from the kickstand side then when i parked my bike in the garage as soon as i got off i saw a drop hit the floor again from the kickstand area side when i look closer at the coolant resovoir tank its the same green thats in there can anyone isolate a more specific hose that i should check on the kickstand side?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Take out the fairings on the clutch side, clean well all the hoses that you can see and let it drip. After some dripping, follow the wet green path and you will see which is the one leaking.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Take out the fairings on the clutch side, clean well all the hoses that you can see and let it drip. After some dripping, follow the wet green path and you will see which is the one leaking.
dang so the fairing is off i cleaned off most of the green dried stuff and wow is this thing everywhere and it doesnt constantly drip either.. in maybe 2 hours time it went to a dime sizd puddle anyways if i dont end up finding where the source is would it be bad to ride the bike like this?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondagrom+300 View Post
thanks for input guys so i took my bike to work when i got off about 4 hours later there was like 2 quarters worth of green liquid on floor so something is leaking and its coming from the kickstand side then when i parked my bike in the garage as soon as i got off i saw a drop hit the floor again from the kickstand area side when i look closer at the coolant resovoir tank its the same green thats in there can anyone isolate a more specific hose that i should check on the kickstand side?
Quote:
dang so the fairing is off i cleaned off most of the green dried stuff and wow is this thing everywhere and it doesnt constantly drip either.. in maybe 2 hours time it went to a dime sizd puddle anyways if i dont end up finding where the source is would it be bad to ride the bike like this?
On the plus side, with 2 quarts on the ground your radiator should be empty and the coolant reservoir should be dry making it easy to figure out if it's coolant.

If it is coolant, and you've leaked as much as your saying, then yes, it would be bad to ride the bike like that.

1) As the bike heats up the pressure in the cooling system increases. (Which is why you never take a radiator cap off a hot vehicle ... unless you're in to steam burns.) With a cool bike I'd check the coolant level in both the overflow bottle and in the radiator. Make sure the system is properly full. If it really leaked two quarts it should be pretty obvious it's not full.

2) Once you know the coolant level is correct, and the fairings are off so you can see the hoses going to/from the radiator, engine, coolant reservoir, etc., and you've made sure you've cleaned all the green mess up, start the bike.

3) Let the bike run and warming up. When the bike starts getting warm to hot and the cooling system is pressurized, inspect all the hose fittings going to/from the radiator, engine, etc. Look for either dripping or fluid bubbling/spitting out of the fittings. If it's leaking "two quarts" the leak should be easy to find. Also, watch the coolant level in the overflow reservoir and see if it's rising. The hose in the cap goes down by the kickstand to allow excess fluid to drip on the ground.

4) Anti-freeze also has a distinct, sickly-sweet smell when it's hot. I park my bike in the garage and in the morning I could smell an anti-freeze leak before I saw which one it was and I was only dripping a few drops. (And since it was a hose fitting the drops were inside the fairing and not on the ground. But, it was the smell that tipped me off to the leak.)

Give those things a go and see if you can eliminate anti-freeze from the list of possible suspects. (If all else fails change your anti-freeze to a different color and see if the weird green stuff changes color, it should if anti-freeze is part of the problem.)

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
On the plus side, with 2 quarts on the ground your radiator should be empty and the coolant reservoir should be dry making it easy to figure out if it's coolant.

If it is coolant, and you've leaked as much as your saying, then yes, it would be bad to ride the bike like that.

1) As the bike heats up the pressure in the cooling system increases. (Which is why you never take a radiator cap off a hot vehicle ... unless you're in to steam burns.) With a cool bike I'd check the coolant level in both the overflow bottle and in the radiator. Make sure the system is properly full. If it really leaked two quarts it should be pretty obvious it's not full.

2) Once you know the coolant level is correct, and the fairings are off so you can see the hoses going to/from the radiator, engine, coolant reservoir, etc., and you've made sure you've cleaned all the green mess up, start the bike.

3) Let the bike run and warming up. When the bike starts getting warm to hot and the cooling system is pressurized, inspect all the hose fittings going to/from the radiator, engine, etc. Look for either dripping or fluid bubbling/spitting out of the fittings. If it's leaking "two quarts" the leak should be easy to find. Also, watch the coolant level in the overflow reservoir and see if it's rising. The hose in the cap goes down by the kickstand to allow excess fluid to drip on the ground.

4) Anti-freeze also has a distinct, sickly-sweet smell when it's hot. I park my bike in the garage and in the morning I could smell an anti-freeze leak before I saw which one it was and I was only dripping a few drops. (And since it was a hose fitting the drops were inside the fairing and not on the ground. But, it was the smell that tipped me off to the leak.)

Give those things a go and see if you can eliminate anti-freeze from the list of possible suspects. (If all else fails change your anti-freeze to a different color and see if the weird green stuff changes color, it should if anti-freeze is part of the problem.)
hI thanks for giving me steps on what to do and maybe i typed it wrong but what i meant was 2 quarter sized puddles not 2 quarts. But when i started this thread the coolant level in the overflow tank was right above the letter L and now its sitting like on it so i think those dime sizd puddles are draining the resovoir tank slowly
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
hI thanks for giving me steps on what to do and maybe i typed it wrong but what i meant was 2 quarter sized puddles not 2 quarts. But when i started this thread the coolant level in the overflow tank was right above the letter L and now its sitting like on it so i think those dime sizd puddles are draining the resovoir tank slowly
Hahaha, you said quarters and I saw quarts. Wow. Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer ...

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran

You were slimed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page