Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Bye bye 300

6K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  igotBarrs 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Jeans sneakers and no gloves on a GSXR... I guess we know how this story ends lol

#6 ·
I just sold my 2015 Gixxer 600 and that replaced my 2011 Gixxer 1000. I love those bikes. Watch your speeding tickets though. I sold my 600 after getting a $575 fine and 4 points on my license. That's when the 300s started looking better to me. It is very hard to resist going for that burst of speed....and finding yourself going 90 mph. The digital speedo on the 1000 moved so fast you couldn't read the speed until you let off the throttle. Surprise...you're going 130 mph. Great fun though. I've always had great luck with Suzukis.

#16 ·
How fast were you going for that ticket?

Also, is the difference between a 1000 and a 600 a bigger difference than between a 600 and 300? (I'm talking feel-wise, obviously the engines aren't linear)

Sent from my SM-N910V

#7 ·
Very nice choice. Keep that GSXR in B-mode until you get used to her. Surprising power when you've got the whole engine working in A-mode. I do, however, think that the GSXR 600 is the smoothest ride out of all the middleweights. Daytona comes in a close second though.

#8 ·
Nah... The 599cc rides more like a 2 stroke. No power then a lot of power up in the powerband. The 636 has a longer stroke and more mid range torque which gives smoother power throughout

#9 ·
Looks like your Ninja 300 had clip ons, and I am guessing rear sets. How does the Gixxer compare to that? Is it noticeably harder on your back, are you constantly hunched over?

#13 ·
Haha my legs feel better but the back does get stiffer.
You're more stretched out leaning more forward of course.

Jeans sneakers and no gloves on a GSXR... I guess we know how this story ends lol
I gave my gloves away with the old bike. I actually bought new ones the day after I got the bike lol.
However yep, jeans and sneaker man hahaha.

Very nice choice. Keep that GSXR in B-mode until you get used to her. Surprising power when you've got the whole engine working in A-mode. I do, however, think that the GSXR 600 is the smoothest ride out of all the middleweights. Daytona comes in a close second though.
I leave it in factory mode, it's neither A or B. Or I think that's called factory mode? Or neutral?
From my understand the difference in modes just regulates air flow and the fuel injectors but I have to read which mode does what haha.

#10 ·
Yes it's lower clip ons

#11 ·
Right about the 600 not being that fast in town until you get the upper power band. The 1000 though has a 2nd lower power band and the upper power band is crazy. Long gears too. I liked to hit the entrance ramp in 4th and open up the throttle...checking very carefully first. It's like a rocket once you hit 10000 rpms, but you will zip past 70 mph and find yourself at 110 very quickly...and you better be holding on when you open the throttle. I miss my liter Gixxer, but I don't trust myself to keep it under control. Mine had a slipper clutch but no traction control, abs, or modes, so whiskey throttle or flying off the back if you aren't ready for it, are real possibilities. The 600 is much more tame...has fast top speed though. I don't think anyone who rides a 300 would have any problem handling a 600....1000 maybe.

#15 ·
Ankle injuries are no joke

#27 ·
You have to remember that with liter bikes, they are designed with a greater allotment for a longer wheelbase. With all of the power put down by liter bikes, they need a longer wheelbase to help keep that front down under even moderate acceleration. Because of the longer wheelbase, literbike rider ergos are also stretched out a bit more which allows the overall seat height to lower. Super sports don't put down the same kind of power and wont really lift the front nearly as easily so their wheelbase is focused on to be shorter to maintain as much ease of turn-in as possible. So as super sport 600s got more power and built up more, they tended to build "up" versus out as their wheelbases were shortened. Many literbikes also got their wheelbases shortened until their power got a big boost and all of a sudden we started seeing their wheelbases increase again to make it a bit more difficult to lift the front under moderate acceleration. The 05 ZX-10R and GSX-R 1000 were beasts in this regard and very easily picked the front up which saw future versions with slightly longer wheelbases and a more front bias.

This is why we tend to see super bikes with shorter seat heights compared to their supersport offshoot. The super bike needed a little longer wheelbase to help counter all of that power and the rider gets the benefits of that in a lower seat height with generally less compact rider ergos but what's considered not as good turn-in as the super sports have.

#28 ·
The main thing that sold me on the GSXR was comfortability (for being a sport bike haha). I think the R6 was the most aggressive bike I sat on in the 600 area.
I injured my wrist and thumb on the slopes last winter pretty good and have yet to 100% heal. When I sat on the R6 my wrist hurt immediately, as when I sat on the GSXR it did not.

After that, the bike came stock with a steering damper. Which I think I've begun to feel differences. Especially leaning and hitting bumps at speed.
I don't think the other bikes I looked at came stock with one.

#31 · (Edited)
Because as an exotic, it prices itself out of the comparison. For the price of a brand new F3, you can get a base S1000RR or any Japanese literbike. It's more direct competition for Ducati than the Japanese big four or Triumph.

P.S. Don't be too scared of seat height. My dual-sport is well taller at the saddle than my inseam. As long as you can get a foot down you'll be fine. Sometimes it means you may have to cheat an asscheek off the side of the saddle to give you the couple extra inches to feel much more sure footed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.