Bypassing the Ignition Switch - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Bypassing the Ignition Switch

Ok, so I realize that this might not be a cool question to ask or maybe that the answer shouldn't really be put out there to the public. I'll give a little background first. I just bought a salvaged 300 that was a theft recovery. I am building it into a race bike. There is no ignition switch and I am not going to put one on it. I know that someone makes a keyless ignition kit for it, but I'm already on a tight budget and don't want to spend money where I don't need to.
The bike doesn't even have the harness that is attached to the ignition. The main harness has a couple of the wires already taken out of the white plug that would go to the ignition harness. They are twisted together but I have no idea if it was done correctly. Does anyone know what colors wires need to go where so that I can just use the kill switch? I've got my other street going 300 sitting right next to this one. There are five wires on the main harness and 7 wires on the ignition harness. I'm not sure where the other two wires go or why they are there, seems odd to me but the bike starts and runs fine.

Anyway, if you have done this on a race bike before, please PM me instructions on how to do it. I don't want to burn something up like the last yahoo who jacked this thing.

MRA #144

Sponsors:
XL3 Rigging, Rider's Discount, Imperial Sportbikes, Un!nk Print works,
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Did you end up getting this sorted?
I made my own DIY ignition delete last year and may be able look back and find some answers if you are still struggling

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran

I think this is a good subject - worthy of a "How To", and one shouldn't feel bad about asking for this info. Screw the low-life's that have other motives. IMO - if someone is worried about theft - that's what insurance is for.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:41 AM

Just buy another switch and replace it....... since you'r gonna have to pull the switch anyways to get to the wires just unplug it and plug the new one in.....less BS, less time, less stress........ lots of aftermarket direct replacements or you may contact to good Locksmith.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
How to hotwire a ninja 300 probably wouldn't be the best thing to post up on the internet. For one, it's potentially legal hot water for all involved including those who host this forum. There's that whole discretion bit when it comes to information like this and I'd hope that if something like this were actually posted, the mods would delete it post-haste. All because we have insurance, doesn't mean I want a how-to guide posted up to make things easier for some tweaker to get into the bike boosting front. One of the things that helps prevent motorcycle theft from becoming any bigger than it already is is that it's not as easy and there aren't training camps for it. Lets not give them a step by step tutorial on it.

2017 Black FZ-10
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the info everyone, I decided to replace the ignition switch and go to the Locksmith. But as luck would have it my lost key turned up as soon as I got back.Well now I have two keys!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgr View Post
Did you end up getting this sorted?
I made my own DIY ignition delete last year and may be able look back and find some answers if you are still struggling
Hey hey! How did you make that ignition delete? I have two upper triple clamps with ignitions switches. One with a key (from my old 250 race bike) and one with no key (new 300 race bike - was an auction bike).

I was hoping to make a woodcraft type of ignition delete and get rid of the whole ignition unit on the upper triple clamp of one. Then save the one with a functioning key as an emergency spare. My gas tank uses that key anyway (drilled out the gas cap on the 300 that came with no key and put my old ninja 250 gas cap on it).

If I can get ride of a bit of weight for free by making use of unusable parts, I'd say that's a win!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by owen84 View Post
Hey hey! How did you make that ignition delete? I have two upper triple clamps with ignitions switches. One with a key (from my old 250 race bike) and one with no key (new 300 race bike - was an auction bike).

I was hoping to make a woodcraft type of ignition delete and get rid of the whole ignition unit on the upper triple clamp of one. Then save the one with a functioning key as an emergency spare. My gas tank uses that key anyway (drilled out the gas cap on the 300 that came with no key and put my old ninja 250 gas cap on it).

If I can get ride of a bit of weight for free by making use of unusable parts, I'd say that's a win!!

It was late 2015 when I made it so donít remember what resistor I used and I donít have the wiring diagram I would have drawn. Pulled this photo from my build thread, I hope it helps

* the wire colors wonít correlate but hopefully you can work out where they go from the connectors

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgr View Post
It was late 2015 when I made it so donít remember what resistor I used and I donít have the wiring diagram I would have drawn. Pulled this photo from my build thread, I hope it helps

* the wire colors wonít correlate but hopefully you can work out where they go from the connectors

Wiiiicked!

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:23 PM

I cut the wiring harness took out the ignitoin it kick over but it won't start what could cause that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page