Stuck in 2nd gear - help - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hijinks
  • 1 Post By sparkcycle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Stuck in 2nd gear - help

I wanted to see if anyone else have experienced this problem and have found a solution:
Every so often, maybe 4 times in the last 1000 miles my Ninja gets stuck in 2nd gear, to the point where I can't get it to down shift into 1st on Neutral, even though I can upshift just fine. This usually happens when I approach a light and drop down a few gears right away. When that happens the lever feels like it got down to 1st, so I usually don't notice that this happened until I take off or try to find neutral.
Anyway, this is rare, and to fix it I usually have to go up to 4th or 5th, and then shift back down until it catches 1st. Sometimes I have to go through this a few times before it lets me. The bike has 8500 miles on it, only ~1000 of which are mine, I bought the bike used and it has a salvaged title due to damage on the right side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM

I notice this. I've found rocking the bike forward and back will let it shift down. I avoid it happening by getting it into first before I come to a complete stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to chevyguyjoe For This Useful Post:
WhoAteMySoup (02-08-2016)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
This is completely normal. Avoid it by never coming to a complete stop in second gear. If you end up at a complete stop in second, the bike won't go into first unless you rock it forwards or backwards like chevyguyjoe stated already.

Important part is not to shift into first gear until you are at a very slow pace (near walking/running) otherwise you could potentially harm yourself or the bike. Just try and get into a habit of always coming to a stop in first gear.
GOOBAH likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hijinks For This Useful Post:
WhoAteMySoup (02-08-2016)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Good to know, thanks for your input chevyguyjoe, and Hikinks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinks View Post
This is completely normal. Avoid it by never coming to a complete stop in second gear. If you end up at a complete stop in second, the bike won't go into first unless you rock it forwards or backwards like chevyguyjoe stated already.

Important part is not to shift into first gear until you are at a very slow pace (near walking/running) otherwise you could potentially harm yourself or the bike. Just try and get into a habit of always coming to a stop in first gear.
you're saying this is normal at that milage?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelvy View Post
I'm pretty sure he's saying this is pretty common for a sequential gearbox.

Engineer rocketing through time and space on two wheels!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelvy View Post
I think he meant normal in the way the slipper clutch works. The specifics elude me. Somewhere on this forum it is explained though. Try searching it. I just make a habit of engine braking all the way down and before I'm stopped completely pull in the clutch and hit 1st before I come to a complete stop.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotBarrs View Post
I think he meant normal in the way the slipper clutch works. The specifics elude me. Somewhere on this forum it is explained though. Try searching it. I just make a habit of engine braking all the way down and before I'm stopped completely pull in the clutch and hit 1st before I come to a complete stop.
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the clutch. Sequential gearboxes have dog teeth which fit into holes in adjacent gears and sometimes they don't line up with the holes they fit into (even though there is lots of clearance). So if the gearbox is not rotating (because the bike is stopped), there is no way to change gears in this situation. Usually the gears are slightly moving so they just clunk into place when the dog teeth line up. But if this doesn't happen, rocking the bike is a way to move the teeth relative to each other and help them mesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMIdGgsQ68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1nuiQDw6Hs
GOOBAH likes this.

Engineer rocketing through time and space on two wheels!

Last edited by sparkcycle; 02-12-2016 at 11:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sparkcycle For This Useful Post:
igotBarrs (02-12-2016)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 AM

Garage
Some rev-matching can also help with smoother downshifts, particularly in lower gears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page