Unstuck screw! - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Unstuck screw!

Today is my Big day, comparable to the day I rode my bike home from the dealership, or the day I first dropped and tried to lift it. Today I managed to take the broken screws off. I've been trying to do it for almost a year now. I broke two screws completely, and I thought it would be impossible for anyone to do anything with them. Today I brought my girl to her 4000 mile service (it's almost 4500, thought). And the guy at the service managed to take them out! I'm unbelievably happy. All he did was hitting a mechanical impact driver with a hammer a couple of times! And yes! They went off! He used something like this: amazon.com / gp / product / B06XD2XCJY
For those interested: my screws were the 92009 ones that are used in the handle bars, and 92150 for passenger pegs.
I've already spent an enormous amount of money on different tooling because of those several bolts. I bought an expensive powerful electric impact driver, and it was useless. We tried to drill them, to soak them in WD-40, nothing. But the mechanical hammer-driven impact tool made it! To those getting desperate (the metal on the bolts is extremely cheap and soft, easy to break): there's hope! Try that simple tool.

And yes, this was the reason I finally got registered at this forum. It opens up a path to customizing my bike. So, hello everybody. This is me:

Last edited by akarjakina; 10-08-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Those are the bar end ones right? Using quality drill bits they can easily be drilled out (I've done it numerous times) in a couple mins. Then the bar end can be removed and the rest of the screw undone with vise grips.
Its an annoying combination of soft material, Phillips heads and loctite that makes them so hard to remove. I don't even bother trying and just drill them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kennylxix For This Useful Post:
akarjakina (10-08-2019)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Yes, those Phillips heads. The service guy told me Kawasaki likes using the red thread lock on those, and my bolts were all covered with solid red when we took them out.
I was too scared to damage something so I could not drill, the mechanical impact driver seems to be a safer bet (when there's at least something to grip on, otherwise it's better to drill some hole first).

A question, though. Where do you buy the bolts to replace the original ones? I got several at Lowe's and Home Depot, but they all tend to get rusty. Where do I get a good quality metal (plus anti-corrosion) ones? Where do you get the sizes (I could not find the phillips heads in the store at all).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Veteran

When I'm pulling the bar end weights off it's to replace them. The replacement weights always come with new screws which have Allen heads.

Take a look online and see if there is a fastner shop near you. My local place has been there for decades and you can just walk in, bring the old fastener, tell the application and they will give you what you need.
Your other best bet is McMaster Carr. They are an industrial supplier and carry good quality stuff. Lowes and depot bolts are generally crap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarjakina View Post
A question, though. Where do you buy the bolts to replace the original ones? I got several at Lowe's and Home Depot, but they all tend to get rusty. Where do I get a good quality metal (plus anti-corrosion) ones? Where do you get the sizes (I could not find the phillips heads in the store at all).
Do you have a Fastenal in your area? Even a well-stocked Ace Hardware may have what you want. You can go with a stainless steel socket-head (Allen) screw instead of the "Phillips-head" (actually JIS) screw that was in it.

You want a medium (blue) thread locker on it to keep it snug but also help prevent any corrosion on the threads.

There are online sources if you don't have anything local. Replacing with the OEM bolt would be fine, just don't use red threadlocker like they did.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkv45 For This Useful Post:
akarjakina (10-09-2019)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! I'll look into investing into new bar end weights, that's a good idea. I know that the really heavy ones can be expensive, though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you jkv45! I found lots of Fastenals around here! And I found several Ace Hardware as well. That's really helpful, I'll go there tomorrow to ask for stainless bolts. Thanks for the precious advice.
Yes, I'm already using only blue and purple (the weakest) thread locker, but thank you for explaining that it prevents corrosion on the threads, I was not thinking about it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
Here's my experience getting the bar end screw off:

https://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ml#post1706556

Basically heat and impact driver. Ordered a kawasaki replacement screw for about $10.

Tags
92009, bolt, handlebars, screws, stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page