New rider in MA - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:05 AM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawk View Post
using GPS is a generational thing. I'm a sales manager in a healthcare company and all my reps under 35 can't drive anywhere without their phone in its mount on the dash with their GPS turned on. I don't get it..but nothing we do is going to alter their behavior. Look at a map prior to going somewhere? They'll just look at you and laugh.

I'm over 50 and recently put a Ram mount on my bike for the sole purpose of using GPS when I take a few road trips this summer. I'll be taking a lot of strange (to me) 2 lane highways and will need GPS to make my way.

I would never consider touching my phone when I'm riding..never.

This thread has turned into a good discussion of GPS/Phone, etc.
Sorry to OP for thread-hijack!

I will likely install a RAM-Mount also, but will limit it for a dedicated GPS only (not a GPS-app on the phone).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
This thread has turned into a good discussion of GPS/Phone, etc.
Sorry to OP for thread-hijack!

I will likely install a RAM-Mount also, but will limit it for a dedicated GPS only (not a GPS-app on the phone).

No GPS for me on any of my bikes. Besides, I have an uncanny sense of direction in this world of ours.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Most normal people would not try holding and reading a map while riding.

Most normal people would look at a map and plan their route, before setting off on a ride.

Does that answer your question.

But then again, in todays technical world, most people would be lost if they even stepped out of their front door, without their phone / GPS glued to their hand.
I see the sarcasm gene missed your personal pool. It's 2019 not 1918. Most normal people use a GPS when their going somewhere they don't know how to get to... Being confident when a turn is coming, or on lane position is arguably just as important as not looking away from the road for a split second in terms of riding safety in an unfamiliar area. Not to mention, straining to read road signs takes your eye off the ball and usually takes longer than to look at your GPS so does that answer your question. WTF

-Tom

Check out my YouTube Channel @
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 PM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrialNError View Post
I see the sarcasm gene missed your personal pool. It's 2019 not 1918. Most normal people use a GPS when their going somewhere they don't know how to get to... Being confident when a turn is coming, or on lane position is arguably just as important as not looking away from the road for a split second in terms of riding safety in an unfamiliar area.

And lest we forget the atrocious road-system designs of some cities & suburbs! There's some places I wouldn't want to endeavor without a GPS.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrialNError View Post
I see the sarcasm gene missed your personal pool. It's 2019 not 1918. Most normal people use a GPS when their going somewhere they don't know how to get to... Being confident when a turn is coming, or on lane position is arguably just as important as not looking away from the road for a split second in terms of riding safety in an unfamiliar area. Not to mention, straining to read road signs takes your eye off the ball and usually takes longer than to look at your GPS so does that answer your question. WTF

No, I am happy to say that I have plenty of personal sarcastic genes.

But what I also have is enough sense, to not make this a personal issue. Like some people do on other chat forums. This has become, way to much ........
along And without a GPS .
MAL likes this.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
No, I am happy to say that I have plenty of personal sarcastic genes.

But what I also have is enough sense, to not make this a personal issue. Like some people do on other chat forums. This has become, way to much ........
along And without a GPS .

-Tom

Check out my YouTube Channel @
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:17 PM

Garage
Glad to see you are safe and decided to ride again! Hopefully you have better luck this time.

As for my input on this GPS debacle, I would like to have a mounted GPS for accurate positioning and a visual idea of what the road ahead of me is like. I currently get all my GPS directions through my Sena from Google Maps (now it even lets me know where speed traps are!), but see no issue if you are using a mounted phone purely for GPS. On a trip a backup map is always recommended of course, there is a reason most big manufactures in tank bags include map/phone holders. Fiddling with a phone or GPS while on the move is decidedly inadvisable though.

Rear motorcycle damage

Pictures of the bike pre and post-accident

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Sheesh, this got snarky fast.

OP, good for you getting back on the bike after a bad accident.

Now, on the topic of phones mounted on bikes - itís a personal choice and you do whatís right for you. I never ride anywhere without mine mounted. I even have a powerlet mounted just under it that allows my phone to stay charged. I use inRoute because I can say ĎHey, Sirií to interact with it. Also, I donít have to glance down like I would with a paper map in my tank bag. Iím 50 and use route planning software and a GPS extensively because I have no sense of direction.

If someone canít have a phone mount and resist texting while riding, they have a much larger personal control issue.

Now, get back to playing nicely or I will shut this down.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
TrialNError (05-04-2019)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Sheesh, this got snarky fast.

OP, good for you getting back on the bike after a bad accident.

Now, on the topic of phones mounted on bikes - itís a personal choice and you do whatís right for you. I never ride anywhere without mine mounted. I even have a powerlet mounted just under it that allows my phone to stay charged. I use inRoute because I can say ĎHey, Sirií to interact with it. Also, I donít have to glance down like I would with a paper map in my tank bag. Iím 50 and use route planning software and a GPS extensively because I have no sense of direction.

If someone canít have a phone mount and resist texting while riding, they have a much larger personal control issue.

Now, get back to playing nicely or I will shut this down.

Destroy it. Just kidding. Or, am I.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page