I'm going backwards but I'm happy I'm here! - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going backwards but I'm happy I'm here!

Just saying hi. I just bought a 2014 300r and it's my 7th bike over the last 20 years of riding. I'm going from over 200hp at the tire on my custom stretched Hayabusa to 37hp ish?

Happy to do it though. I was just looking for a super light, stress free, comfortable, canyon carver. I'm old enough that there's no one to impress but me and this little guy fits the bill. I'm actually surprised how peppy it is, it pulls pretty strong for it's displacement and its so light and flickable I'm going to have a lot of fun with it.

I picked it up on a whim today, at a salvage bike retailer here in NH. I have a Youtube Channel where I'll be putting up some content including the minimal repairs needed to fix this particular bike (just left side foot controls and minimal paint work). I'm happy to join the 300 club and look forward to many smiles and miles with this fun little bike.
jkv45 likes this.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran

Garage
Lol. Sounds like me. I have been riding liter bikes for 20 years, now have a 300 and and Grom 125. my wife says the older I get the smaller my bikes get.

Welcome

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
‘18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 PM
Veteran

Welcome! We're downgraders. Did you keep the busa? You may feel the itch once in a while...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's funny. I've become the guy I use to make fun of before I knew any better. Good to know I'm not alone with things shrinking with age Thanks for the welcome.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Welcome! We're downgraders. Did you keep the busa? You may feel the itch once in a while...
No, I didn't. After all my years riding I had a close call, well....really close call on a windy mountain road. Came in to a corner too hot, locked up the rear, crossed into the oncoming lane, managed to recover it just in time to avoid the guardrail and 100+ft drop. If there was an oncoming car, I'd be dead so that was just pure dumb luck and no skill on my part.

Sold it the following week.

I realized no matter how old I get, when the throttle has that much on tap I just can't be trusted to manage my limits 100% of the time. That was too close and now I have a Maserati GT for speed which isn't much slower and has airbags.
Topaz likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 AM
Seasoned Vet

Hello and ..............

Quoting you, the following sounds like ME

" I was just looking for a super light, stress free, comfortable, canyon carver. I'm old enough that there's no one to impress but me and this little guy fits the bill. I'm actually surprised how peppy it is, it pulls pretty strong for it's displacement and its so light and flickable I'm going to have a lot of fun with it. "

Have gone thru my share of Honda Gold Wings, Harleys, etc. Decided 10 years ago that I wanted something different and lighter than my Gold Wing. Thus, I chose the Yamaha V-Star 950. And to this date, I still have it.

But I have always been drawn to SPORT bikes and seriously started doing some research and looking at the Ninja's. Found the 2017 ABS KRT and instantly fell in love with it and knew I wanted it. My wife asked me, if I was really going to ride it and my reply was that I did not care if I did or not as I just wanted it. And may even just hang it on a wall in our home as a piece of art. She, still does not realize that I was just kidding. Orrrrr, was I

I'll save a lot of words here as you have already described the way I think and the way I feel about my 300. But I would like to add that I have a few bikes and years on you as I this past February, just turned 76 years old .

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Granpooba For This Useful Post:
TrialNError (04-01-2019)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:17 AM
Veteran

Welcome! I joined the "Pocket Rocketeers" after my 2015 NINJA 1000 was totaled. I miss it dearly, probably always will, but I know my 2017 NINJA 300 KRT is a better choice for me right now. I had a 2008 250R that I loved (I sold it to my sort of "adopted son" when I got the N1K, so it's still in the "family"), so it was the good feelings associated with that, much better fit (I'm only 5'2", 28" inseam), having it paid for outright, lower insurance and maintenance costs, the availability of luggage for it, and the fact that there was a green one sitting on my local dealership's showroom floor with my name on it right at the time that I needed it, that made me decide to go with it. My still-young-enough-to-have-one ego is still bruised a little bit, but it's getting better with time and miles on the 300 (somewhere around 4600 or so, I think).

I had a chance to ride a 2016 'Busa when I worked Suzuki Demo Days (I'm a RiderCoach). Suzuki requires two RCs for lead and sweep on demo rides, so I spent two days riding every liter bike they had! I had four trips on the 'Busa (two each day) because that's all that my bum shoulder (due to being rear-ended in our car) could handle. But, man, you could tell the thing was an absolute BEAST (of course, I wasn't riding it anywhere near its potential), and it cornered like nothing I had ever ridden before!! It was an hour's ride to and from the dealership and I had ridden the 250 there; on the ride home, I found myself going, "Where's the oomph??" I had been drooling over the N1Ks ever since they came out with the bags, but my 2010 Honda NT700V was paid for, I had the 250 for fun, and I didn't need a liter bike. Well, my husband had been after me to sell a bike, so after 500 miles on liter bikes, I told him I would sell both and buy a new one to do it all. I had 23,000+ wonderful miles on it, but I truly am looking forward to the coming years on my 300! Hope you'll love yours, too!

2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT "Sheldon"
2015 NINJA 1000 ABS ('Tis better to have loved and lost..)
2008 NINJA 250R (First NINJA love!)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")
The Following User Says Thank You to BAZININJA For This Useful Post:
TrialNError (04-01-2019)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:02 AM
Seasoned Vet

Welcome. Congratulations - you're a real motorcyclist now, not just a guy looking for the cheapest way the get the most power.

Many of us have been there and done that. I've owned several literbikes myself. My mindset used to be more power... more power... but when I finally had all the power, then it sinks in - that's not really what I wanted. I can have fun on anything and how much power it makes is not a factor.

Fastest bike I owned was a highly tuned GSXR1000. I wasn't really afraid of it, but I couldn't get all the power to the ground and it was just stupid. Could not exit corners hard, could not accelerate hard without the bike flying out from under me. It's a bike you own just to brag about to other people, and that's really not my style. Never once have I parked it in front of a Starbucks.

I love ringing out little bikes and just rowing through the gears.
Rogue and BAZININJA like this.

Zaph - Retired racer - Race Bike [
] - Pics [
] [
]
No longer present here - Find Zaph42 @ ninjette.org
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaph For This Useful Post:
TrialNError (04-01-2019)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran

Garage
Way back in the day (somewhere around 2000-01) a buddy of mine and I switched bikes for a bit on our ride. He always wanted to ride my triumph Daytona 955i and I wanted to ride his ‘99 ‘busa it handled much better than I thought it would, but the power was far more than I thought and it was very intimidating I may or may not have got that thing over 180 for a short stint.

I still love riding my Ducati and FZ1, but the ninja is far more “fun”.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
‘18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Welcome. Congratulations - you're a real motorcyclist now, not just a guy looking for the cheapest way the get the most power.
Well said. I admittedly wanted the bragging rights of owning the fastest bike on the street when I bout the Busa...and man it was! That damn thing would break the tire free at 45mph under throttle only, no clutching. Just nuts. BUT, with that checked off the list it's time to get back to enjoying the ride. I have a feeling it's true what they say, it's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

Rttoys; yea she handle pretty good for a big girl but you know she's big, you can really feel it in a hard corner and it takes more effort to pitch it in. But, no one will argue the weight penalty is worth it once you straighten up and crack the throttle. Any gear, any rpm it's just ready to rip your head off.

Thank you all for the awesome welcome! This is actually my first Kawasaki and it seems like a great group of riders! I spent the day with it today. Tore all the plastics off, detailed it, buffed everything, installed a trickle charge port under the passenger seat, replaced everything but the turn signals with LED's. Really well made bike. They didn't seem to cut any corners with the build quality compared to larger displacement rides. I'm really impressed!

Couple picts of it from yesterday when I brought it home:

Rogue, MAL, voldotaki and 2 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page