Taller Rider - Foot Peg clearance - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Taller Rider - Foot Peg clearance

For taller track day riders/racers. What is your rearset/foot peg solution? I'm 6'1", 195lbs. With stock rearsets my pegs drag constantly. With my aftermarket rearsets, my peg location is about 1" back and positioned just above the level of the swim arm for reference. No dragging, but my legs are so bent it feels like I took a bullet to the knee after 15 minutes. The vibration felt from knee dragging only makes it worse. I had to stop early on the last session of the day (30 min session).

In theory stretching my leg out should help with fatigue but i'm not sure how to accomplish this. Looking around the paddock most foot peg positions seem to be around where the swim arm starts and in the middle of their height. My 1 on 1 coach gave me some props on improving technique but noticed my bad ergonomics setup. Sitting on his 1198 felt amazing, fit like a glove, so I'm also getting concerned that the ninja is just physically too small for my frame. He told me to get it addressed so I can focus more on what I'm doing rather than the pain I'm in.

Are there shorter foot pegs top use with the oem brackets that wont drag? Feel like this would be the easiest solution. Or, do I just need to suck it up? I get that racing is about performance, not comfort, but honestly the knee pain is getting unbearable. My first few laps are usually pretty clean but it starts to fall off from there. Too many days spent behind a catchers plate and hauling stuff on my back in the Army.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Vet

Higher pegs were ok to me, but I'm only 5-11. If you want the pegs in the OEM position, you could take off the factory screw in feelers to get a little more lean angle. You better watch your toe position and have decent toe sliders on your boots though.

Then just really work on hanging off more to shift center of gravity more so you can get around faster without grinding pegs. A lot of cornering limitation is just body position.

Edit: Other idea - I had a friend who did this - re-upholster your seat to add an inch. find a local shop to do it. It might not be as pretty but it might do the job. Make sure they use relatively dense foam so it doesn't just sink when you sit on it.
jkv45 likes this.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Action shots [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
] [
]

Last edited by Zaph; 04-13-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Higher pegs were ok to me, but I'm only 5-11. If you want the pegs in the OEM position, you could take off the factory screw in feelers to get a little more lean angle. You better watch your toe position and have decent toe sliders on your boots though.

Then just really work on hanging off more to shift center of gravity more so you can get around faster without grinding pegs. A lot of cornering limitation is just body position.

Edit: Other idea - I had a friend who did this - re-upholster your seat to add an inch. find a local shop to do it. It might not be as pretty but it might do the job. Make sure they use relatively dense foam so it doesn't just sink when you sit on it.
The seat idea is a good one. So my solution was a hybrid of the oem pegs and after markets I did grind the foot peg down further a little. Still dragging toes and not pegs yet. I did scrape the hell out of the rear break lever at turn 1 on Vir. So bad it bent out at 45 degrees and picked my bike up but I was able to save it. Ended up bending it back in as far it will go for now. Just have to stay conscious and spider man my toe as inward as possible but it does keep me more disciplined. Finally, yes I'm much less fatigued with this setup. Chasing down ducatis out here all day feels good. See attached for before and after pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_113213946_1555347556498.jpg (111.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_164546136_1555347665947.jpg (99.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_164554840_1555347686472.jpg (97.3 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Are you pulling your foot back to where just your toes are on the peg when you tip into a corner?

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 PM
Veteran

You may also want to make suspension adjustments for your weight as well. The little Ninjas are sprung for smaller riders, so you may have too much sag and overall too low of spring rates, which will decrease clearance and drag pegs earlier.

You are hanging-off a bit, right?

Stock pegs without feelers, additional seat padding, increased spring rates, and maybe a bit more hanging-off would most likely make it much more comfortable for you and decrease the chances of grinding the pegs.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Are you pulling your foot back to where just your toes are on the peg when you tip into a corner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
You may also want to make suspension adjustments for your weight as well. The little Ninjas are sprung for smaller riders, so you may have too much sag and overall too low of spring rates, which will decrease clearance and drag pegs earlier.

You are hanging-off a bit, right?

Stock pegs without feelers, additional seat padding, increased spring rates, and maybe a bit more hanging-off would most likely make it much more comfortable for you and decrease the chances of grinding the pegs.
I'm running 85kg race tech springs. Forks are raised half an inch so thr body is slightly lowered. Suspension feels great.
I am making a conscious effort to place my toe as far inside the peg as I can go. I can actually use the peg bracket to rest my heel on as a point of reference. Attached is a pick of my left side which I haven't dragged yet. On my last heat I was focusing on getting further out and up on the bike and its definitely better. Knees getting down first more consistently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_142933010_HDR_1555353592556.jpg (108.2 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Veteran

How about the rear shock?

Why raise the tubes? With sag set properly front and rear that is just going to quicken the steering, which shouldn't be needed for a small bike/larger rider combo - I wouldn't think.

Zaph? Thoughts?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 PM
Veteran

Garage
Rear shock did all the difference for me, for foot grinding. I have race tech springs and gold valve emulators in the front, but the gsxr rear shock really firmed up the back end and keeps me from dragging my toes. Getting off the bike more, helps a ton too.

My woodcraft rear sets are all the way back and down and I donít drag my toes anymore, mostly due to the suspension. My fork Tubes are set at stock position.

Iím 5í10Ē 250#

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
Ď18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
How about the rear shock?

Why raise the tubes? With sag set properly front and rear that is just going to quicken the steering, which shouldn't be needed for a small bike/larger rider combo - I wouldn't think.

Zaph? Thoughts?
I thought about the rear shock after my last post. My preload is set to 4 right now. The tubes are raised to accommodate my angled clip ons on top of the triple tree. I know some people have said no to do this and go with the woodcrafts but thats a heafty price for essentially a bracket with replaceable tubes. Honestly, it felt better anyways. I could tip in earlier and hold a tighter line with the same/more cornerspeed a lot more comfortably and with great feel. idk if this is just me getting better or the adjustments.

The emulators and the gsxr rear shock were next on the part list, but I'm afraid to say I'm falling out of love with my bike and leaning more towards trading up.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Veteran

Garage
The rear shock has to go. It just canít take the pressure of the track. A cheap option is a gsxr shock. For $50 or so, itís worth it, even if you trade up later.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
Ď18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page