Hid's completed - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Hid's completed

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374428677.770645.jpg
So I got the Hid's finally, I just purchased a 6K kit to test the waters (never worked on a bike in my life before and only had this one, being my first bike for about 3 days)

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374428689.586729.jpg
I debated if I should start that night after work but I thought it would take me a little bit to get used too so I didn't

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374428697.888021.jpg
So to start with I took of the two smaller side fairings, as for this one I didn't want to damage any of the panels so I knew I would be taking them all off

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374428708.071020.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374428720.187318.jpg
Bike completely stripped before I removed the coolant take just for a bit more room (my hands are quite big)

ImageUploadedByMO Free1374428731.136747.jpg
The finished product

It was really intimidating for me to do as I've never worked on a bike, but honestly I've done Hid's now for 3 years or any and all cars, it's the simple lest mod, and takes about 1hour to complete...

For the wiring, I simply made a small hole in the rubber cover for the headlight housing and threaded the silicone plug for the wiring harness of the hid kit, it's looks simple but clean and almost stock

Now ballast location, this is tricky, there are a couple places but for me the best I found was right behind the coolant tank, it's the best out of place there is no tension l on the wires, and lets you get full lock going both left and right

I've probably missed a couple things, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, I was just looking up how to do it and no one really has any write ups on it, hopefully this helps, also if you need more pictures or even a hand feel free to message me I love doing these things guys

Hope you enjoy

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FernandesL1 For This Useful Post:
Capolee (07-30-2013), jflores0241 (07-26-2013)
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 03:11 PM
tmd
Veteran

Nice job. Eight more bolts and you could have got the whole headlight assembly off and make it easier lol. Four to take off mirrors and 4 holding the headlight assembly in place.

Shogun Frame Sliders | BK-Moto HID Projectors | Powerbronze Tinted Windshield | ASV C5 Shorty Levers | Symtec Heat Demon Heated Grips |R1 Throttle Mod | Woodcraft Clip-ons |Yoshimura Rearsets Brackets | Techspec Tank Grip | Galfer Red SS Brakelines Front/Rear | Corbin Seats |Rear Seat Cowl | Targa Fender Eliminator | Yoshimura R-77 Slip-on | Area P Micro FI |Red Rim Tapes | Gold SSR Steering Stem Bolt| SSR Preload Adjusters |K&N Air Filter with Snorkel Removed | All Balls Head Bearings
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, will know for later... Don't you have to remove all the fairings on the other side to get to the headlight assembly off?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Forum Champion

Send a message via AIM to Muilisx
Record a short video of them at night. Possibly a warm up. I love watching HID`s warm up.

©•Muilisx•©

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM
tmd
Veteran

Yeah you do have to take off all the fairings. I only see one side so I assumed you took everything off lol

I've tore my bike off so many times, it takes like 15 min for me to take everything off. And I know where every screws go, so putting it back together is easy.

Shogun Frame Sliders | BK-Moto HID Projectors | Powerbronze Tinted Windshield | ASV C5 Shorty Levers | Symtec Heat Demon Heated Grips |R1 Throttle Mod | Woodcraft Clip-ons |Yoshimura Rearsets Brackets | Techspec Tank Grip | Galfer Red SS Brakelines Front/Rear | Corbin Seats |Rear Seat Cowl | Targa Fender Eliminator | Yoshimura R-77 Slip-on | Area P Micro FI |Red Rim Tapes | Gold SSR Steering Stem Bolt| SSR Preload Adjusters |K&N Air Filter with Snorkel Removed | All Balls Head Bearings
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to guambra2001
I have a question, there is a perceived idea that if you install HIDS in the stock housing by themselves (without projectors) the light will blind everyone in the road (as it bounces all over the housing).

TBH I'm not entirely sure this a is true, but it does seem plausible. Can you take some pics at night about 3 car lengths away to see how the light output is seen by other motorist?

If it does blind people I was thinking about painting the reflective surface black, as this will absorb a lot of the light and theoradicaly not blind everyone. I like the projectors but find them somewhat unreliable and expensive.

Live life as if God will come tomorrow, because he just might!
SE Ninja 300 ABS with a few mods...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys sorry about the delay, yeah for sure I'm on nights but tomorrow I will take photos at night and post them, it is kind of blinding, but mine aren't Angled yet, I don't ride at night as I'm only a M1 rider but its the smallest bit of light that sur passes normal levels. Ill post a pic tomorrow/ video as well

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guambra2001 View Post
I have a question, there is a perceived idea that if you install HIDS in the stock housing by themselves (without projectors) the light will blind everyone in the road (as it bounces all over the housing).

TBH I'm not entirely sure this a is true, but it does seem plausible. Can you take some pics at night about 3 car lengths away to see how the light output is seen by other motorist?

If it does blind people I was thinking about painting the reflective surface black, as this will absorb a lot of the light and theoradicaly not blind everyone. I like the projectors but find them somewhat unreliable and expensive.

No its not a perceived idea, it does throw light all over the place. The problem with HID's is that when your bike or car is at a standstill and not moving, the light beam my look ok and focussed. But as soon as you start moving, and the car/bike goes over bumps......when you accelerate and decel.......the light is thrown around a bit and is not only blinding, but also very distracting for others coming towards you. The bulb itself moves/vibrates a little in the housing and the movement of the vehicle itself. Not to mention if the approaching vehicles are above your level on the road.

I can see perfectly fine with the stock lights, and my local roads are very poorly lit and some not at all. If upgrading my lights makes a little bit more light on the road for me, but at the expense of causing distraction to others coming towards me.....I'll stick with the stock bulbs or a better version of the stock bulb. I have the better version of the stock bulb, a Phillips Diamond Vision I think they were called. At least 20-30% more light on the road.

One thing you dont really want travelling towards you at a high rate of speed? A few tonne of steel with a distracted operator. We have enough distractions when driving cars as it is these days, dont add to those distractions IMO.

Last edited by jeff; 07-24-2013 at 12:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff For This Useful Post:
Sly Raskal (07-30-2013)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran

I put some Denali DM1's on my forks and they give me all the additional light when I need it, plus being LED they draw very little power.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

All this talk... You have to remember your talking about a bulb, regardless of color it's a bulb... Most people think they angle light higher... They don't they do the exact same as the stock lights, again just a bulb. Especially if in your argument, your explain you put more powerful bulbs similar to stock.. The only thing distracting drivers is the different color, and its not even the color it's the out of the ordinary and In that defence your LEDs whether colored or white or yellow are just as distracting as Hid's are

The Following User Says Thank You to FernandesL1 For This Useful Post:
Capolee (07-30-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page