Registering my out-of-state Ninja 300 in CA? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Registering my out-of-state Ninja 300 in CA?

I have a 2014 Ninja 300 ABS that I bought a few years ago and I'm moving to California next month, but it seems that I might not be able to successfully register it in CA? I've been doing some Googling and research on this, but it seems like no one has a definitive answer. Or if someone does, there always a reply refuting it. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of it.

It has 6,200 miles on it and it is registered in the state of Indiana, with an Indiana title. As far as I can see, there are no emission stickers to be found on my bike (I think the previous owner took all of them off), which may be a problem?

Am I screwed?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Post Whore

From the CA DMV website:
Quote:
Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr29
The Following User Says Thank You to tfkrocks For This Useful Post:
Cra1g (04-25-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g View Post
I have a 2014 Ninja 300 ABS that I bought a few years ago and I'm moving to California next month, but it seems that I might not be able to successfully register it in CA? I've been doing some Googling and research on this, but it seems like no one has a definitive answer. Or if someone does, there always a reply refuting it. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of it.

It has 6,200 miles on it and it is registered in the state of Indiana, with an Indiana title. As far as I can see, there are no emission stickers to be found on my bike (I think the previous owner took all of them off), which may be a problem?

Am I screwed?

Truthfully, I am not sure as I am not that familiar with California Motor Vehicle laws.

BUT !! I would believe that if you are the OWNER of the Ninja, it is already registered in your name and you have TITLE to the bike, then I can see no reason why you would not be able to a registration transfer in California.

People are moving daily from other states to California. And I am quite sure that all of their vehicles are not being denied a registration transfer.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
From the CA DMV website: ...
Ok so that's super simple and straightforward. Thank you! Why do I keep seeing posts about "It has to have at least 7,500 miles on it and needs the emissions sticker blah blah blah...?"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Ok so that's super simple and straightforward. Thank you! Why do I keep seeing posts about "It has to have at least 7,500 miles on it and needs the emissions sticker blah blah blah...?"

California is such a screwed up state law wise, I doubt anybody can keep up with knowing what is and what is not required. Maybe that is why people are NOT moving to California.

You could always move to New York state. We do not even have emission testing for motorcycles.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh wait ! Naw, you probably would not like it here either as we also have some real idiots for law makers.

Maybe it would be better just to choose another country as this one is rapidly falling apart.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Post Whore

Quote:
That info is relevant if you're a current CA resident because that would be considered importing a new vehicle into the state (anything under 7500 miles is considered new). A new vehicle bring brought into CA by a CA resident must meet CA smog requirements (50 state vehicle vs 49 state vehicle). Should you try to register a vehicle that doesn't meet those requirements, it'll be blacklisted forever. Something to keep in mind for potential future bikes.

And in response to the comment above, we def don't have smog testing for bikes in CA so at least there's that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM

I would'nt move to New York or California I don't care if it was free rent free money free everything I wouldn't care if there was a mansion waiting for me one place is riddled with earthquakes and the other has enough people in the streets to make me think it's a 24-7 zombie apocalypse so I'm pretty happy here in Florida even though the drivers really suck! However good luck in California with your motorcycle try to hang on during the micro Quakes that happen all day
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoffeeman813 View Post
I would'nt move to New York or California I don't care if it was free rent free money free everything I wouldn't care if there was a mansion waiting for me one place is riddled with earthquakes and the other has enough people in the streets to make me think it's a 24-7 zombie apocalypse so I'm pretty happy here in Florida even though the drivers really suck! However good luck in California with your motorcycle try to hang on during the micro Quakes that happen all day

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I believe you as the drivers here in NY state also suck and I know why they suck in Florida as well as here. The ones that suck are from New Jersey, or maybe are my in-laws.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:25 PM

So very true I don't know your in-laws but one of them was on a motorcycle in front of me today while Kawasaki was letting a group of us ride all the new motorcycles that came out this year and he dropped it right in front of me. He just locked up the handlebars at a stoplight and hit the gas like an 🐴

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page