Seeking advice on the Dainese D-System EVO riding pants - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Garage
Seeking advice on the Dainese D-System EVO riding pants

It's that time of year where I start looking for my new gear for spring (hopefully this is the last year where I have to replace the bulk of it). The Dainese D-System EVOs have caught my eye and I'm wondering if anyone has any first had experience, good or bad, with them. According the description on Revzilla, these do have armor in the knees and hips.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...ender=1&cat=21

I'm also interested to know if anyone else has a recommendation on a different pair of more form fitted ladies textile riding pants.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran

Why not leather?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airin21 View Post
Why not leather?
I've gone back and forth on that a lot. It really just comes down to comfort. It's so incredibly hot and humid here in the summer that leather is ungodly hot unless you're zipping along at 60+ mph. And since I live in a rather congested suburban area, there's an awful lot of time spent either stopped or in the 25-45 mph range.

I may still add leathers as secondary pants, but if I do, I know those will most likely be the Rev'It Xenas.

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Like I said at home, if you don't mind the second skin feeling in the summer, go leather...but you have watched me peel myself out of a suit on hot days enough times to know what fun it is. Hehe.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Like I said at home, if you don't mind the second skin feeling in the summer, go leather...but you have watched me peel myself out of a suit on hot days enough times to know what fun it is. Hehe.
Yup, and we both know how well I deal with extreme heat... aka, not very well. So, as much as I want those leathers, they would only be useful in spring and fall.

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Yup, and we both know how well I deal with extreme heat... aka, not very well. So, as much as I want those leathers, they would only be useful in spring and fall.
I've been riding in the Evo D-Dry. What do you want to know?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by five10 View Post
I've been riding in the Evo D-Dry. What do you want to know?
* Do they vent well?
* Is it possible to put them inside the boot, or do they have to go over?
* Are they form fitting or baggy like most adventure touring pants?
* And finally, would you buy them again?

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 PM

I'll try to answer as best as I can, Rogue:

Vents-
Since this is a 2014 item, I haven't had a chance or need for venting yet. However, playing with the venting system, I see that these pants would be as good as the New Drake Air - they have the same venting system. It's mid-60's right now where I'm at, so I can take out the liner tomorrow and try it out if you'd like.

Boots-
I have the Axial Pro In boots, so I go over the boots. If you had an adjustable boot (see most Dainese boots), you may be able put these in your boot.

Personally, I like the liner going over the boot. It's designed to keep out the elements - the elastic cuff helps keep wind out. The outer Cordura shell zips down to adjust to your boot.

Fit-
I think it's best to try these on yourself for the fit. I am 5'5", 140lbs, 29" (?) inseam and the Euro 44 fits me very well. To elaborate, I don't feel like I'm wearing a box - not a ton of excess/draping/baggy material. This is a Euro fit so the fit is slim throughout - not as skinny/form fitting as leathers. That said, I do not feel constricted at any point (calves/thighs) and these are very comfortable on the seat.

I haven't tried these without the liner, but I'd imagine the fit will be a little looser. I'll try a pair of straight and slim jeans under the Evo D-Dry when I remove the liner tomorrow.

Buy again-
Short answer, yes. I am very impressed with the construction and protection of these pants. I spent a few months looking at other items - various jeans/touring/overpants. These have the best fit and protection for the right price.

Long answer -

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I got the Evo D-Dry cause we had a temp dip to the lower 40's. So far, the lining works well. I feel like I would be comfortable in mid-high 30's using these.

Initially, I wanted to get the New Drake Airs, but seeing as these are basically a pair of New Drake Airs plus the added all season (SF Bay) usability, I went for these instead. On top of the comfort, I also wanted protection. That said, I am impressed with the quality and comfort of the Cordura shell and knee armor.

The Cordura shell had good stitching throughout. Also, there are full knee and shin guards that are constructed like the Dainese V knee guards. Instead of straps, these are held in place with 2 unique looking velcro tabs at the knee. A 3rd anchor for the armor would be my boot - the armor is tucked in. There is also Norsorex style armor at the hips - nothing substantial IMO, but I don't trust Norsorex so take it with a grain of salt.

Given my glowing impression, I do have some qualms. These were minor to me and were not deal breakers.
1) These do not zip up to my RS-Taichi jacket. I will have to construct some sort of bridge. I did not go with RS-Taichi pants b/c their textile line did not have the same protection.
2) The pant is about 1-2" too long, but - unlike leathers/jeans - there isn't an easy way to alter them (the zippers make it harder). The extra length makes me have a half/full break (http://www.primermagazine.com/2012/l...nciples-of-fit). This was not a deal breaker for me b/c they didn't drag on the ground.
3) I do not trust Norsorex, so - if I wanted more protection - I'd be looking at an upgrade in the future. Again, take this with a grain of salt.

Did that help? Feel free to ask for pics/clarification.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Garage
This gives me some great information to consider. Thanks so much!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 PM

You're welcome. Feel free to ask more questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page