Advice for bike that has been sitting - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Advice for bike that has been sitting

Hey guys,

So back in February I noticed my bike had a flat front tire. I tried to put air and see if it would hold but a few hours later it was flat again. I was supposed to remove the wheel and go buy a new one, but the weather was pretty bad for a couple of weeks (raining every other day) so I put it off a bit since I wasn't going to be riding much anyways.

Long story short, things got hectic with school and life (I'm in my final semester of engineering and also in an Air Force officer training program) and next thing I know it is April and I have not gotten around to fixing this . I guess I didn't make this a priority and time just passed. So now my bike has been sitting for a little over 2 months. It's been under a cover this whole time and under a roof. As I did not intend for it to sit this long, I did not add fuel stabilizer, do anything to the battery, or anything else I've read you are supposed to do to store a bike. I was fortunate that the tank was almost full (I had only gone 29 miles since fill-up).

I checked to see if the bike would start and it started up just fine. I just let it idle for about 10 minutes and it sounded fine.

Do y'all have any advice or tips on what I should do at this point? Things that could be off or things I should watch out for? Any help would be appreciated and thanks for you time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Garage
You may want to check your battery after all. I know it started, but at engine idling speed, the alternator may not have enough output to charge the battery. If you don't start riding soon, the battery will/may continue to drain.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmshiro For This Useful Post:
jpala29 (04-20-2015)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Veteran

I am by no means an expert, but I would suggest giving the chain a look over. Make sure rust hasn't set-in.
The Following User Says Thank You to FutureFuzz 26 For This Useful Post:
jpala29 (04-21-2015)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Post Whore

Get the tire replaced and ride it. 2 months is nothing. If you don't plan on riding it soon, I would add some Stabil into the tank and call it a day. With fuel injection, we no longer have to worry about shutting off the petcock, draining the carb bowls, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to cadd For This Useful Post:
jpala29 (04-21-2015)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:05 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Get the tire replaced and ride it. 2 months is nothing. If you don't plan on riding it soon, I would add some Stabil into the tank and call it a day. With fuel injection, we no longer have to worry about shutting off the petcock, draining the carb bowls, etc.
This

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Racing AFM #725
Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
| Armour Bodies |
|
|
| Forcefield Armor |
|
| Incipio/Incase |
|
| Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. |
|
|

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Also want some advice myself. I bought a 2013 Ninja 300 last week and it seems the guy only changed the oil once (odometer has 3000 miles on it and only changing the oil once during that time sounds like bad news in regards to overall maintenance). The bike looks as if it wasn't ridden for a year or two as the inspection sticker expired in 2013. The fuel tank was pretty much empty when I bought it so I'm hoping it hasn't caused any problems.

I changed the oil myself and installed a new filter and this weekend I plan on cleaning and lubing the chain. The brake fluids is fine and I plan to check the coolant as well this weekend.

Is there anything else I should check for? Should I just take it to a dealer and have it serviced?

Last edited by Fayt42; 05-28-2015 at 10:22 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayt42 View Post
Also want some advice myself. I bought a 2013 Ninja 300 last week and it seems the guy only changed the oil once (odometer has 3000 miles on it and only changing the oil once during that time sounds like bad news in regards to overall maintenance). The bike looks as if it wasn't ridden for a year or two as the inspection sticker expired in 2013. The fuel tank was pretty much empty when I bought it so I'm hoping it hasn't caused any problems.

I changed the oil myself and installed a new filter and this weekend I plan on cleaning and lubing the chain. The brake fluids is fine and I plan to check the coolant as well this weekend.

Is there anything else I should check for? Should I just take it to a dealer and have it serviced?
One oil change in 3k isn't ideal but it's not anything to worry about. In terms of factory scheduled maintenance the next oil change is at 3800 i believe so you're fine. I would check the tightness of all the nuts and bolts (especially the coolant hose clamps), check that there are cotter pins in the axle nuts, check the chain slack, clean and lube the chain, grease/lube the levers, cables, etc, check the battery and put it on a maintainer if needed.

To the OP, 2 months is nothing to worry about. Check the chain for rust, clean and lube it up if needed and start riding it. If you can't start riding it regularly, put the battery on a maintainer and add a fuel stabilizer if it's gonna be sitting for another few months.

White 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS: Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs (stock sizes), Power Commander V (fuel and ignition), K&N filter, Yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber full exhaust, adjustable rearsets, 15w fork oil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twistywrist For This Useful Post:
cadd (05-28-2015), Fayt42 (05-28-2015)

Tags
battery tender, bike sitting, fuel, maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page