54-year old women in SUVs - Page 6 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Garage
My (limited) observation of women drivers is that they don't accelerate and corner as hard in general, but they don't seem to mind driving at higher speeds. Maybe that indicates a lower sense of risk, maybe due to the relative speed of the vehicles. I mean, 75mph doesn't seem as fast when other vehicles are +/- 5mph of that. Not perceiving the risk as much might lead to closer following distances and less attention. Plus the feeling of being protected by the vehicle. Maybe everyone should ride a bicycle, motorcycle, or a little smart car before being allowed to drive a big car!

I can be a pain when it comes to following distances. In my mind, it's all about energy, time, traction, awareness, and reaction time. When people get so close that they couldn't possibly handle something unexpected, I get nervous and usually say something. Usually to my wife! haha

Women are not necessarily better or worse drivers. It just seems all too common for people to underestimate the conditions and overestimate their ability. Confidence and positive attitude is one thing. What I see borders on careless or reckless IMO.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingBear View Post
...while superficially we are blaming each other, in reality we are all expressing our communal outrage at the unfairness of life.
Hahaha, THAT was ONE funny line!
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Veteran

I think I saw a very similar topic on /r/motorcycles recently. I think one of the biggest issues is responsibility. People see the car as an extension of themselves and if they do not take the act of driving seriously at all. Even the prospect of killing someone doesn't bother them. I was tailgated last week by a woman that pulled out on me, so incensed she was I managed to get out of the way and stay ahead. There was a car two lengths in front of me. She wasn't going anywhere, it was just the fact I was on a bike.

Everyone thinks their home's drivers are the worst, and sometimes there's some truth in it but there's so many factors. I think in the US in many, many places motorcycles are seen as a nuisance or a toy. There's also a little bit of class at play as they're also seen as a working class choice of transport; the idea anyone would choose a bike is anathema. Ever notice how the Audi/BMW/Merc drivers get a certain reputation? It's the same thing. Some of them think they're better than other road users, that the rules don't apply, because they are in a moving status symbol.

I find the US quite restrictive for bikers compared to the UK; most of the rules are geared to cars and people's general stupidity. For instance in Western PA double yellows are almost everywhere, with few exceptions, As a biker I cross them to pass all the time, as it is perfectly possible to make safe passes that would be a little dodgy in a four-wheeler. The irony is that it's not a state law, just a guideline (a 'strong suggestion' as one State Trooper put it). You won't get a ticket for crossing them, but you might if you have an accident in the processs. the only places where you can be booked for an infraction are when there is an actual 'no passing zone' sign. Still, a lot of locals get uppity about it because they don't think you should be passing, because despite the fact they're five under the speed limit don't you dare get in front of them.

I don't know if women are worse, but they can be very snotty. I've seen a woman in a van close a gap so I couldn't get in to a line of traffic. Another turn left in front of me gesticulating angrily that somehow, I had to give way to her.
MAL likes this.
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
MAL
Veteran

Interesting observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulman View Post
You won't get a ticket for crossing them, but you might if you have an accident in the processs. the only places where you can be booked for an infraction are when there is an actual 'no passing zone' sign. Still, a lot of locals get uppity about it because they don't think you should be passing, because despite the fact they're five under the speed limit don't you dare get in front of them.
To be fair, I've lived in PA for some 15+ years, and didn't know about this either until very recently. It's unusual for the US to have such vague language in the code regarding double-yellow lines. According to this they kept changing the language used in the traffic code, just to add to the confusion.
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
I just started riding this year, but I've already had a couple cars that pull out of a shop entrance onto the road and literally stop in the middle of the road.

They were trying to get to the other side to go the opposite direction I was going, realized they couldn't make it, then just sit there. Since the stock horn is weak and not very aggressive sounding I usually just pull in the clutch and rev max it past them haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It don't matter what you ride, it's that you ride.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.myers6994 View Post
Since the stock horn is weak and not very aggressive sounding I usually just pull in the clutch and rev max it past them haha.
Get rid of that stock beeper and add a FIAMM Highway Blaster (Low Note). It'll mount in the stock position and is very loud! I've used it a couple of times and it woke up some unaware drivers...
MAL likes this.

Vehicles:

'15 Ninja 300 w/ TechSpec Tank Grips, Double bubble windscreen, reflective white rim tape, & Musarri Slip-on (sold)
'06 CBR F4i w/ nothing, i.e. pure stock... for now
'99 Tacoma w/ requisite frame rust
A tastefully modded '05 Forester XT - Gone, but not forgotten!
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
Get rid of that stock beeper and add a FIAMM Highway Blaster (Low Note). It'll mount in the stock position and is very loud! I've used it a couple of times and it woke up some unaware drivers...
I'll have to check it out. Gonna be hard to beat just cranking up the exhaust though haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It don't matter what you ride, it's that you ride.
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 PM

Garage
In my opinion during my time driving semis, as soon as The Person gets in the vehicle they cease to be a Person to me. They then turn into The Hazard Waiting To Happen.

I. Hate. Prius. Drivers. The. Most. At least once a day I encounter any of these combo-ed together:

Slow driving(sometimes 15mph below speed limits on the freeway).

Cut offs(5 miles behind me and now you choose to go around me and almost miss your exit thus making me have to slam on my brakes).

Sitting right next to me for way too long(the tire near them could blow out and take their windshield out).

But on the note of being aware while riding I find that a lot of the techniques I use to drive truck transfer over to riding bike. It was a pleasant surprise!
MAL likes this.
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Vet

Not going to even comment on this subject, as it will only raise my blood pressure and I don't need that crap to happen !

Only comment I will make and will take it to my grave, is that we now live in a world full of idiot drivers, with most of their noses stuck to one type of screen or another. Simple, simple !

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
This has been bugging me for some time.

I newly started riding again, after a long hiatus.
For some unexplained reason I assumed the "trouble cagers" ( the other vehicles I'd share the road with and have the most issues with) would be Subaru WRX type drivers with their baseball cap on backwards, or semi-toothless pick-up truck drivers with a Confederate flag displayed.

I was wrong.

Invariably it's approximately 54-year old women driving late model SUVs.
Every. single. bloody. time.

I look at the vehicle's driver who is following me way too closely and it's always middle-aged women in SUVs.
What gives?

I apologize for the nasty stereo-typing and generalizations in this post. Rant now over.
I totally agree. Middle-aged women (I'm middle-aged) in high-end SUVs are in a world of their own.

I recently rode through Bloomington, IL, during a heavy traffic period, and there was this middle-aged lady in a huge Lexus SUV that I couldn't shake - and she scared the crap out of me. She was constantly looking at the passenger while talking, would follow too closely, had a hard time staying in her lane, and had no clue. We were doing close to 80 (as was all the traffic) around curves in heavy traffic. I was glad to get out of there alive.

I "profile" all the time while riding - any beat-up car (used to hitting things), Escalade (own the road), Full-sized pick-ups (get the f*** out of my way!), Subaru (the kind that old folks drive around here), and Prius - though they aren't as bad as they used to be - most are driving Subarus now (all wheel drive for winter).

Just to name a few off the top of my head, but anyone that exhibits any poor or distracted driving gets identified and I'll do all I can to stay clear of them.

I've survived almost 40 years riding on the street so far, but every time out is a new day. Be careful out there!
MAL likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page