Crash video analysis - YouTube videos - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,354 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm921 View Post
with regard to rnickeymouse, I thought about this out a few weeks ago (unless I'm thinking about this too hard), it seems to me as though he was going for "mickeymouse", but because it was taken, he used an "r" and an "n" together, "rn" to look like an "m". (but I can't help but read it as "are-nickey".)

Just a thought.

But yeah, those videos are good, and you can usually just follow those and the rabbit hole you go down by clicking on YouTube's suggestions that follow each video you watch (either in the little screen, or on the sidebar).
Oh definitely, saw the 'mickeymouse' thing when I first saw his channel, but in order to find his channel ya gotta say the 'rnickey' at the beginning.

Spacep0d's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Austin Racing V3 Titanium exhaust, professionally-shaved seat, T-Rex sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, Tech Spec tank grips, tail tidy, Watsen marker lights, Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tires. Only 23 lbs. heavier than the 300!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 AM

• too fast, bad angle, brake, let the bike go, etc
  • road conditions, a big wide steel plate in the midle of the road, be careful I've seen this ones as well here in the USA placed "temporaly" by gas and telephone companies.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:35 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4bako View Post
road conditions, a big wide steel plate in the midle of the road, be careful I've seen this ones as well here in the USA placed "temporaly" by gas and telephone companies.
That fall could've been avoided by....simply driving over it. A bikes momentum does wonders in keeping it upright when you drive over an obstacle. Hell, I ran over a squirrel and the bike did nothing. I can't imagine a steel plate, or anything a road construction crew would leave in the road, being thicker than a squirrel. Still sucks that he fell...

Mods:
636 Headlights | Phillips CrystalVision Ultra Headlamps | Diode Dynamics 2-5050SMD Amber LED Corner Lights | LED Turn Signals | LED Brake w/ Modulator

Future Mods:
AllBalls Steering Bearings | ZG windscreen | MotoDynamic LED Taillight | Yoshimura Frame Sliders | Yoshimura Fender Eliminator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
That fall could've been avoided by....simply driving over it. A bikes momentum does wonders in keeping it upright when you drive over an obstacle. Hell, I ran over a squirrel and the bike did nothing. I can't imagine a steel plate, or anything a road construction crew would leave in the road, being thicker than a squirrel. Still sucks that he fell...
He tried to avoid it like the car but got in between the street and the line of the plate which caused an uneven surface I think.

Sometimes I feel something like this might happen when lane splitting/filtering. I feel like the bumpers or light reflectors might mess with the alignment of your tires/bike. Anyone care to chime in on filtering?

Instagram: aphan_N3

Mods: ASV shorty levers, woodcraft slider spools, techspec tank grip, Plastidipped windshield and passenger rear pegs, delete front reflector, red LED brake light + modulator, Shogun no-cut frame sliders, Diablo Rosso II tire, SSR preload adjusters, Driven clip-ons, fender eliminator kit

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Gears: Shoei Qwest (clear&darksmoke) / SP-2 Alpinestars Glove / Alpinestars GP Pro Jacket / Alpinestars Leather Track pants / Cortech Latigo Boots
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:23 AM
Veteran

Garage
Man that crash (OP) really hurt.
I saw the crash coming the moment I saw how he was riding through those turns with little space after passing the other riders. Good thing he's ok though.

I'm a teenager and when I first got my license to drive a car, I drove like a douchebag. Speeding, rolling stop signs, tail-gating, the list goes on and on. The result of my inexperience was totaling my car a total of 4 times. I learned my lesson and started to drive safely. Although sometimes I do get excited and go a bit fast. But what really changed my driving was what someone told me, something like what cruizin said. Road is the road and keep the stunts on the track. He also told me which really hit home. [You think you're good at driving? You only think you're good because the other driver isn't as stupid as you thinking he's superman. One small wrong move here on the road and its over. If you wanna go fast take it to the track. At least there you'll finally figure out that you're not super man.] I don't think it makes sense to other people, or I just don't know how to explain it but that made me think over how I drive. After months of driving therapy I now finally understand that public roads isn't somewhere I should be showing off.

Sorry for the little rant. It makes me think a lot when I see someone get hurt in a one-party crash when it could have been avoided if they were driving/riding within their limits.

BUT THEN AGAIN, I could have this situation all wrong.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4bako View Post
  • too fast, bad angle, brake, let the bike go, etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub74FtY40DE
  • road conditions, a big wide steel plate in the midle of the road, be careful I've seen this ones as well here in the USA placed "temporaly" by gas and telephone companies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7dDBWOcF0
The top video, the rider's only real mistake was target fixation. He got focused on the guard rail while braking for the turn in and got focused on it and steered right into it. We've had discussions on this very video months and months ago and found out the rider was a brand new rider. Speed itself wasn't really an issue as he wasn't even at greater than a 10 degree lean at any other moment on the video. He was probably below or at posted for the turn when he crashed. He just panicked and physically locked up.

As far as the second video, it wasn't a steel plate but a space of road where they had stripped away the top layer of road to do work and then filled it up a bit with concrete and never put a new top layer of asphalt in so it's kind of like a big pit. Again, the rider target fixated on the pit and his steering input came way too late and too passively and his wheel ended up hitting the buffer area or transition area where the cement and some of the asphalt that wasn't fully removed. This destabilized the bike and front end and caused a "tank slapper" where the rider appeared to try to fight the tank slapper and got ejected off of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus27 View Post
He tried to avoid it like the car but got in between the street and the line of the plate which caused an uneven surface I think.

Sometimes I feel something like this might happen when lane splitting/filtering. I feel like the bumpers or light reflectors might mess with the alignment of your tires/bike. Anyone care to chime in on filtering?
He could have gone to the far right of the lane and avoid it all together like he originally intended to or do as you say and just gone straight through and have been fine as well. While I have ridden over, daily, a large steel construction plate, it's always a lot more dangerous since steel has a lot lower friction coefficient than asphalt or even cement. Sometimes, these guys put shit in the roads forgetting that motorcycles still exist. Although in this video, you'll see that it isn't a steel plate but a cement patch with a manhole cover in the middle of it. It's either raised or depressed and he got caught on the transition point where the elevation change happens.

When lane splitting, you're generally at lower speeds anyways so you shouldn't really have to worry about hitting a reflector at high speed and causing the front end to violently react. Also when lane splitting, you really shouldn't be riding right on the line itself where the reflectors are placed. You should still be in one lane or the other and not riding the line itself. Riding on, or crossing the line is considered a lane change and requires you to signal as if you were changing lanes.

2017 Black FZ-10
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Seasoned Vet

Thanks for posting these. Riding too fast for conditions and/or abilities has to be the No. 1 problem on the list of crashes. Funny how so many people argue otherwise though. Slowing down gives you a whole lot of forgiveness for errors whether they be on your part or someone else's.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjwd View Post
Hey guys, I look up these crash videos all the time to see what not to do. :-)

This one, clearly going too fast into a descending radius turn.

http://youtu.be/m_v6EJL2Kh0

Do you have any other good ones?
Ouch, that looked painful! He looked pretty smooth until the turn tightened up on him.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran

I agree with most everything said, to hot, bad line.... i wasn't on the bike but i think with a little more commitment and lean no brakes he coulda held it
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page