Biker rear ended by Cop - Page 4 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Seasoned Vet

I was trying to calm you down. You get so excited. I never said the cop was right. I said he was wrong. He shouldve just called another car to take the report. He shouldnt have even spoke to the guy other than to see if he was hurt.

Actually the whole idea of the cop cant do anything wrong is what you are saying. I am saying cops are human and they make mistakes all the time. I am saying its a mistake. You are saying its some big huge thing.

Last edited by bigwood212; 03-02-2013 at 03:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigwood212 For This Useful Post:
CopperHead (03-02-2013)
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Veteran

Biker rear ended by Cop

Seems like this topic is getting pretty heated but my 2c is the cop was in the wrong. The rider consciously slowed down (over cautiously) knowing a cop was behind him which had him being awefully cautious. He tried to let the car in, who was unfortunately a spastic who didn't know what he was doing (probably also bein cautious of the cop). The cop was
Probably punching in the bikes plates and wasn't looking, ran into him. And tried to weasel his way out by intimidation... This is just my 2cc but it seems legit to me

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Seasoned Vet

Biker rear ended by Cop

Ain't no way I would have let that go. They would be responsible for my bike.

progrip tank pad, reflecter delete, and rear fender delete., also been working on the chicken strip delete kit. lol
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 AM
Veteran

Biker rear ended by Cop

Time for the view from a law enforcement officer: I watched the video a few times so a can properly see what's going on. First in the cops right side rear view mirror he could see the bike perform a lane split. Which I believe is illegal in Vegas. Which is why the cop got behind him in the first place. When the biker does see the cop he try's to be a good little rider and let a car in. What I observed next was the rider slowed down to the point to almost a complete stop with more then enough room for the other vehicle to enter the lane. The cop was indeed most likely running the bikes tag for wants and warrants, and wasn't fully paying attention to the road and the bikes position and location on the road. In which causing the marked patrol vehicle to strike the bike in a front to rear motion.
Did the bike need to almost stop on the road before getting hit.... No. But it is the cops fault for the crash. And to be completely honest who in the world isn't mad when they get into a crash. When I got into mine I was pissed. Everyone gets mad to a point when something like this happens. Should the cop take it out on the rider, no, but it's over now so nothing can change that.
I get pissed when a passing car almost runs me over on the interstate because they don't pay attention and see a patrol vehicle with lights on and I have to jump on my hood so I can go home that day. Cops aren't perfect we all have emotions, sometimes it gets the best of us like everyone else. What a lot of people probly don't realize his car camera probly was reviewed and he was give a ticket for following to closely.
Most people will not like this review of the video. But then again, that's your call. I remain un bias to these thing and I find what happened and how and why it happened and who's at fault. That's how I work every crash and every investigation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niko For This Useful Post:
bigwood212 (03-04-2013), CopperHead (03-02-2013)
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
I was trying to calm you down. You get so excited. I never said the cop was right. I said he was wrong. He shouldve just called another car to take the report. He shouldnt have even spoke to the guy other than to see if he was hurt.

Actually the whole idea of the cop cant do anything wrong is what you are saying. I am saying cops are human and they make mistakes all the time. I am saying its a mistake. You are saying its some big huge thing.
You weren't trying to calm me down, you were being condescending and flippant about it. If anything you have been trying to rile everything up.

As I said many times already, I perfectly understand the officer is human and makes mistakes. The rear ending was an unfortunately incident. I understand the officer made a mistake and hit the rider. I also perfectly understand that he was angry and yelled at the rider for a bit. What takes it from a simple mistake to misconduct is when he threatens his way out of legal liability.

If all he did was just yell at him and vent I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. It was when he lost integrity, was what I had an issue with. What makes it worse is that it got plastered onto youtube for all to see.

2017 Black FZ-10
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Vet

If you hit somone in the back, you were following too closely or distracted. Otherwise, if some kid or dog or deer runs out in front of you, you would expect to be rear-ended if you braked. The cop wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. This happens all the time at stop signs and yield signs where the second person is anticipating what the person in front should be doing. That don't cut it. Imagine what would happen with the now-infamous Ninja 300 stall with that cop behind you.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Time for the view from a law enforcement officer: I watched the video a few times so a can properly see what's going on. First in the cops right side rear view mirror he could see the bike perform a lane split. Which I believe is illegal in Vegas. Which is why the cop got behind him in the first place. When the biker does see the cop he try's to be a good little rider and let a car in. What I observed next was the rider slowed down to the point to almost a complete stop with more then enough room for the other vehicle to enter the lane. The cop was indeed most likely running the bikes tag for wants and warrants, and wasn't fully paying attention to the road and the bikes position and location on the road. In which causing the marked patrol vehicle to strike the bike in a front to rear motion.
Did the bike need to almost stop on the road before getting hit.... No. But it is the cops fault for the crash. And to be completely honest who in the world isn't mad when they get into a crash. When I got into mine I was pissed. Everyone gets mad to a point when something like this happens. Should the cop take it out on the rider, no, but it's over now so nothing can change that.
I get pissed when a passing car almost runs me over on the interstate because they don't pay attention and see a patrol vehicle with lights on and I have to jump on my hood so I can go home that day. Cops aren't perfect we all have emotions, sometimes it gets the best of us like everyone else. What a lot of people probly don't realize his car camera probly was reviewed and he was give a ticket for following to closely.
Most people will not like this review of the video. But then again, that's your call. I remain un bias to these thing and I find what happened and how and why it happened and who's at fault. That's how I work every crash and every investigation.

This is what i've been saying the whole time.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkw12002 View Post
If you hit somone in the back, you were following too closely or distracted. Otherwise, if some kid or dog or deer runs out in front of you, you would expect to be rear-ended if you braked. The cop wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. This happens all the time at stop signs and yield signs where the second person is anticipating what the person in front should be doing. That don't cut it. Imagine what would happen with the now-infamous Ninja 300 stall with that cop behind you.
This would never see a court. The rider makes a claim. The department pays for damages if there are any. In a rear end collision there are few arguments.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerMG View Post
You weren't trying to calm me down, you were being condescending and flippant about it. If anything you have been trying to rile everything up.

As I said many times already, I perfectly understand the officer is human and makes mistakes. The rear ending was an unfortunately incident. I understand the officer made a mistake and hit the rider. I also perfectly understand that he was angry and yelled at the rider for a bit. What takes it from a simple mistake to misconduct is when he threatens his way out of legal liability.

If all he did was just yell at him and vent I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. It was when he lost integrity, was what I had an issue with. What makes it worse is that it got plastered onto youtube for all to see.
I had to look up the definition of flippant. You win I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page