8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
+1

There is some pleasure (very risky pleasure) in riding light of gear.
The most important piece of gear is your head. if you ride with the wrong attitude or beyond your skills, no gear will save you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWuh View Post
Nice videos bro.

I'm not going to rip you apart about the gear like everyone else. Not everyone is ATGATT and some people can't look past that.

Aye. IMO this is all correct....sort of.

There's a lot of PC crap going on, and safety this and safety that. OSHA this and regulation that.

Heck I hardly ever wear safety glasses cutting and grinding, etc. I weld without a helmet many times (just look away), and have worked on machinery barefoot, etc. etc.
We used to regularly ride on the back of utes (pick-up trucks) in New Zealand until they disallowed it with hefty fines.

When it comes to my kids though, I instilled safety. Once they're adults they can do whatever they please. At least I know I gave them the "basics" for them to make up their own mind later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWuh View Post
Not everyone is ATGATT and some people can't look past that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
There is some pleasure (very risky pleasure) in riding light of gear.
The most important piece of gear is your head. if you ride with the wrong attitude or beyond your skills, no gear will save you.
This has nothing to do with buying a 5k full leather suit for a 5 min ride, it's not people having a relaxed ride on a Sunday afternoon.

We are talking about someone going to a drag strip, where the whole point is to go as fast as you / your motorcycle can.
And more importantly about a parent letting his daughter race with close to no gear and treating it like it's normal.

Topaz has a point though, Attitude and knowing your limits is very important too! (I saw some gnarly crashes at the track, and those people were fully geared)

Anyway, ride safe.
jkv45 likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL View Post
There's a lot of PC crap going on, and safety this and safety that. OSHA this and regulation that.

Heck I hardly ever wear safety glasses cutting and grinding, etc. I weld without a helmet many times (just look away), and have worked on machinery barefoot, etc. etc.
We used to regularly ride on the back of utes (pick-up trucks) in New Zealand until they disallowed it with hefty fines.
Usually this is more for insurance purposes than safety really.
The problem with not wearing equipment is that while an experienced guy may be aware of the risks and have the skills to react fast someone new will likely not.
I sometimes overlook some safety features too but if I'm teaching someone I'll make sure to do my best to be safe.
What they decide to do afterwards is on them.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Veteran

I really think the reason most people ride without gear is they have no idea what happens when you fall off a motorcycle at speed. Doesn't matter if you are riding "over your skill level" or whatever - s*** happens - even to World Champions.

When I see a new rider without gloves or someone on the hwy at 70 in a T-shirt and shorts, all I can think of is they really have no comprehension of what happens at those speeds when it hits the fan.

As a junior daredevil, I learned at an early age what happens when you hit the pavement at moderate speeds on a bicycle. Never had the urge to run without gear in search of any "risky pleasure" on a cycle.

When you are purposely running as fast as you can at the track, there's no excuse for not being fully prepared for the worst.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by voldotaki View Post
Wow!.... what zegzao said. The dudes she's racing against just have t-shirts on. Don't know what the rest of the track looks like but near the start there are giant cracks.

Parents: This is exactly what you DON'T allow your kids to do!

Well in todays world, parents allow their kids to do whatever they want. Times have changed. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/images/smilies/emot-ughh.gif[/IMG]
The overprotective parents that have their kids fully geared up to ride a bicycle or skateboard are the other extreme end of the spectrum.

We used to ride our bmx bikes all over town in th 90s with no gear. That's what growing up is all about.

But, for me today on a motorcycle it's ATGATT.

I still ride a bicycle without a helmet.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Ebony (non abs)
Spiegler front SS brake line
Shogun frame sliders & slider spools
Reflector Delete

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L ext cab
3" cat back exhaust & dynomax muffler
K&N drop-in air filter
200 amp Nations alternator
Upgraded 4L65e Transmission
Audio- Kicker, Pioneer, Performance Teknique, Kenwood
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by San.Diego_CA_Ninja View Post
In the dirt a scrape isn't so bad. Pavement will eat you up real good.

But, bicycling is best done in real shoes, shorts, and a tee shirt. That's my opinion.
Don't do much bicycle riding these days, but most of my bicycle crashing back in the day was done on pavement (or sidewalk) in shorts and a t-shirt. Most of that was related to "how fast can I go?" Put a speedo on my bike and spent too much time staring at it, then the chain would come off (coaster brakes), and I'd have to figure out how to slow down or make a reasonably successful landing.

Had no idea if bicycle helmets even available back then ('70s)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
The overprotective parents that have their kids fully geared up to ride a bicycle or skateboard are the other extreme end of the spectrum.
I skate and pretty much every park I've been to we watch over the young ones. If they skate without a helmet we give them a friendly reminder.

I've seen plenty of rad skaters slam on their heads. The hollow dull sound, blood and convulsions are a good way to kill a session... for a few minutes.

Bicyclist die all the time in the city here. There are those memorial ghost bikes all over. Not sure if a helmet would have saved them but I'd ride with a brain bucket even if there weren't helmet laws.

Quote:
We used to ride our bmx bikes all over town in th 90s with no gear.
Right on! As a skater I highly recommend all BMXers NOT to wear helmets. The fewer the better
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
We should keep this going. Here's some more to add.

1) Cancel your health insurance for you and your kids immediately so you're not a drain on society.

2) Helmets are for pussies too.

3) Keep those organ donor stickers on your license so smart people can use your body parts that are still good.

4) Always have someone hold your beer while you try something cool.

Have fun.
...alright

Project Bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page