Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I do the same. I use Blackstone labs for my oil analysis. ...

The only reason I don't want to do 5k changes is not because I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money. It's because I don't want to spend the time doing oil changes. ...
I've thought about trying Blackstone, but since they don't include the TBN it kinda puts me off. The rest of the numbers let you know if something is way off, but as I understand it the TBN is the best general indicator of oil condition.

And yeah, it's definitely time too. Not just changing the oil, but deciding to change the oil, getting the tools, putting it all away, going to buy the oil, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbinbier View Post
So you spend between $30 and $60 dollars a year to analyze your oil?
Damn I can easily do two oil changes a year on my Ninja cheaper then that.
New oil doesn't need to be analyzed.
I don't test new oil.

The frequent tests is only on the Prius because I want to see how the oil changes at time, and when it goes bad. On the bike it's just once yearly for personal reassurance, along with the oil change. On the Prius if I were to test it every 6 months, I'd be wondering exactly when it deteriorated in a measurable way. And thats because I still haven't found out how long it takes for the oil to go bad. If it takes 3 or 4 years for oil to be measurably "bad", which for starters would be very interesting, than instead of changing the oil yearly I'd just test it yearly. 15$ toolless test that doesn't even get me dirty certainly is easier than any oil change.

3 or 4 years without an oil change does sound heresy on an automotive forum. At this point I'm just curious.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
I wanted to attach it before, but apparently it didn't work. Attached you'll find a copy of my last oil analysis on the Toyota Prius I mentioned. There it probably has about 2 years on the same oil and some 12k miles or so if I remember right. The doc has the details anyways.

If there was a factual reason to change oil every 3k miles, I'd wanna know. I just can't find any actual evidence to support that.
good info.

I'm still going to change mine every 5k miles (regardless of time) just so I can keep track easily and for good measure; it brings me peace of mind. considering I drive a truck and 3 motorcycles, that's only about 2 oil changes a year that I have to perform anyway. It's good to know my oil is safe even if I double the mileage on it, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page